Dodge Charger (reopened and restarted)

Update: After a year and a half from when I first started modelling cars and this, I have decided to restart this project and compare models when finished to see how I have improved.

[original post]

Hello y’all
Here is a car I am working on at the moment, more specificly, a 2011 Dodge Charger.
(old pictures)

tips, tricks, thoughts, and C&C welcome :smiley:

BIG FAT EDIT: [old]
current progress:
For the current progress, check this out in the finished projects section. http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?291347-2011-Dodge-Charger-with-file-download

Added pictures from the first post, so I can edit and updated the first post.
d=1357340277&thumb=1
d=1357340309&thumb=1

and some wires…

Did you model the whole thing together or piece by piece(Door, hood, windows etc…)?

can you turn sub surf of and show us an edit mode shot?

Ooof, yes he did… the topology is a mess. Separate your parts out mate, esp the windows.

sure…

ok… will try to do this.

Cars are probably one of the hardest things to model, Ive tried myself and gave up after a while because i couldnt get it right! There are some very important things to keep in mind when modelling a car, and one of those is topology. The topology on your car isnt great, but that is only because you have tried to model it in one big lump. Break the car up into sections. Bonet, car front, doors, windows etc. This will allow you to make a much cleaner model. Also download a couple of car models from BlendSwap and look at the topology and method which they have used. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

i have to agree some with peter18…

remember no triangles on a car model and also make sure that you keep smooth topalagy even on hard edges

Lumpy! just like mine.
You might want to consider this:
http://www.cgmasters.net/training-dvds/car-modeling-and-texturing/

-Thanks

You don’t have to pay to be good at modeling. Anyone’s modeling can be pretty good, and most have never paid anyone to learn.

Besides, it’s not bad. You just need to separate the parts. That’s it.

gee… I’ve tried to avoid tris so hard… but it’s so stinking hard!

thanks for the link DDD!

A good exercize in modeling is to find a picture of the car you are modeling and draw the topology over it.
I started doing this although I don’t think you should use it until a more experienced modeler says it’s good.

-Thanks

not a bad paint-over, however i can see a few areas that can be improved, but this is a good place to start for ctdadbomb.

Cars look hard to do. Keep with it though. I will eventually do a car, but I think I would want to model one of those fifties big metal cars. One with lots of curves and chrome. Anxious to see how this comes out. If you sort it out it will give me hope. There are lots of car modelers on here, so you will get no shortage of critiques and advice.

I worked on this some more, and it shouldn’t have any more tris, I think the topology is better, but what do I know :stuck_out_tongue:

I redid the topology on the rear of the car. I think it is better, but I am not as sure on this as on the front.

I tried a car once, and they are very difficult to model. Although I have learned alot since I modeled my Chevelle, but have not tried to do another one. However that being said, as modeling in one big clump instead of separate pieces, you done well.

I think you did a pretty good job considering. I block out my cars first then section it up for detailing.

Yea, I learned after I started modelling this that I should’ve made it in different parts, but I still decided to stick with it and continue modelling it this way.

if doing this(modelling in one piece) is really stupid, please tell me, and I can start over.

From my POV you should start again, however if you do I’m sure we’ll be able to help you to try and achieve a good topology. :RocknRoll: