Dodge Charger (reopened and restarted)

no need to restart, just needs some fixing.

Attachments

thanks for those DDD!
I think I got all of them problems, except for where you said(on the rear) move this to this (and blue down) I don’t get that. can you please explain that?

thanks for the help,
ctdabomb:RocknRoll:

New paintovers.

Make sure you get some high res photos to reference from, get detail shots so you can see all the closeups. That way you see exactly how the geometry is supposed to look. At this point i cant tell you if your topology is correct b/c i dont have the reference images, so be careful, make sure to get multiple images of the same part, b/c in one picture you eyes tell you one thing and in another they interpret another…

Attachments

well, I worked on this all night long and here is what I have so far:

nah, I am totally kidding. it’s just a reference image :stuck_out_tongue: here are some more:
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/238/a/e/Dodge_Charger_2011_by_dacim12.jpg
http://autowheelzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2011-Dodge-Charger-3.jpg

http://revocars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/2011-Dodge-Charger-Behind-View.jpg
http://autowheelzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2011-Dodge-Charger-1.jpg

Omg that is amazing :d

about the light blue marks on the paint over: I think I have to keep those there…

is that right?

some work work done :slight_smile: I compared it to some reference pictures, and they really looks close(to me) :slight_smile:

and in case anyone cares, here is the .blend http://pasteall.org/blend/18808

Ok not the same unfortunately, got got lots of work ahead.
I only did the front paint-over…there are more spots that needed to be fixed, carefully examine your model and apply your new knowledge from my paint-overs to it!

Look closely at reference images and close up shots. snf sldo mskr dutr you have s smooth surface - smooth vertices out to make them flow nicely with the shape.

Attachments

I think your topology looks a bit lumpy. Try to keep them is strait and neat lines.

I’ve done some more work:

3 images per post :frowning:

and this is the area where I seem to be having the most difficultly getting it to look right:

if tyrant monkey was here(where has he gone?) He would probably say that your mesh is waaaay to dense…the topology has got much better tho :slight_smile: Next time you model a car (or if you start this one again) get the basic shape of things first, and seperate the model into more pieces…once you are happy and everything is smooth, then add your loop cuts. I tried modelling a car and didn’t get this far, even with help from others, so i commend you! :smiley: Keep going…its getting better!!

I am not quite sure what this means,the vertices to close together?

oh yea I’m gonna keep this going!:ba: thanks for the advice and kind words, this has been a great learning experience for me, so, I got even farther than I expected i would :stuck_out_tongue: i thought I would work on this for 2 days, and then find something else to model… but when I started this, I was a lot easier than I expected, and a lot of fun(more fun than any other blender thing)

my modelling technique was sort of faulty when I started this, and people have said to model in different parts. this makes sense, but I don’t really get it :stuck_out_tongue: like what would the different parts be? would I connect them all in the end? wouldn’t their topology be way different then each other making it hard to connect them? can someone explain?

well…think how a car is made or how it is used…the doors, windows, bonnet, grill etc…they are all seperate object in real life, so therefore should be different parts. Also, the top of the car (roof and pillars im guessing) the front of the car, they are likely to be seperate in real life, or atleast the panels will be. Also the way to dense comment i made…basically means too many verticies and edge loops to start with…the simpler the better, and the easier it is to make it smooth. :smiley:

+1 to the last comment.

if tyrant monkey was here (where has he gone?)

Ok lol disregard me completely :stuck_out_tongue: But no, he got more experience than me, and he helped me to get where i am too.

As far as to how to approach the area in post 33… i got you started on my paintover in post 30…

Awww im sorry :frowning: You are a great car modeller too :smiley: I just auto think of TM…just a habit

Here’s a paint-over for the C pillar, hope it helps. :RocknRoll:

Attachments

oh dang, I somehow just deleted to car object and can’t get it back :frowning: :mad: now I have to use an old version. and of course the .blend1 and .blend2 don’t have it :frowning: those things are totally useless.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

My mind is still in vacation mode…anyhow, I think my density comments are a bit mis-understood car meshes should be dense in the end. Take a look at rogper’s opelgt to see what I mean my model on blendswap (bmw m6)is now too old and light compared to how dense I am going now. The thing is how do you get to a dense and clean mesh.

Clean is the keyword here I find the best way to do this is to start with a low poly mesh and block out the whole car and than get in there, cut and subdivide and build you density up. so you go from Low -> medium -> high in terms of poly count which each cut or sub division your are smoothing things out.

What trips up most people is that the start with a dense mesh from the get go. If a dense mesh is not smooth, getting those lumps out is a major PITA.

The other big thing that gets people is not really topology but edge flow. people will model edge that do this " —--/ " (erratic and jumpy) instead of “------” (smooth with no unwarranted changes in direction)

tools you should be using alot of to smooth thing out. you should keep your poly face sizes even as well and only have pinching edges where things need to be sharp.

vertex slide
edge slide and loop cut
vertex smooth (with axis locking)

Hey TM!

The other big thing that gets people is not really topology but edge flow.

Yes, but doesn’t edge flow dictate topology?
Anyways well said.