WARNING! Do NOT upgrade to Windows 10!

Thank you for proving my point about the tinfoil hat crowd rejecting everything said through official channels in favor of the ‘alternative’ sources that supply narratives of nefarious activities and hidden schemes that no one knows about (and it only took a few minutes to boot).

Also, it’s not my point as you see in the link.

First of all here’s a link to Microsoft’s actual blog post response to privacy concerns:

Here’s what I find interesting about Microsoft’s response to privacy concerns. In their response Microsoft said:
3. Advertising Data We Don’t Collect
Unlike some other platforms, no matter what privacy options you choose, neither Windows 10 nor any other Microsoft software scans the content of your email or other communications, or your files, in order to deliver targeted advertising to you.

Now this is interesting because it’s the opposite of what their privacy policy actually states:
We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.

So why would Microsoft make two conflicting statements. Their blog post says they’re not scanning the content of emails and files, but their actual privacy policy says they are. The key here is in the language, in the blog post Microsoft did not say they were not scanning the content of your emails and files, they said they were not scanning the content of your emails and files for the purpose of targeted advertising.

So they are scanning that stuff, just not for the purpose of targeted advertising which raises the question, if they’re not scanning your emails, communications and files for targeted advertising why are they scanning it?

Personally I find that Microsoft’s blog post makes it sound even worse. Why does Microsoft feel the need to mince words in order to confuse their customers?

Some companies will disclose private info if it’s needed to assist in law enforcement or in catching a wanted felon (or when there needs to be an investigation of dangerous threats).

Note the key quote there

when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services."

The average person probably has nothing to worry about providing they are not pirating applications, creating malware, or trying to reverse-engineer the OS (which the latter part at least has been part of EULA’s for ages)

Yeah, but why didn’t Microsoft address that in their blog post? They specifically avoided it and instead chose to use a carefully worded statement that made it sound as though they weren’t scanning things that they, in fact, are. That raises suspicion, why not be completely up front and forthcoming on the matter?

It’s odd, you know, how would they know that they need to scan your emails and files in order to protect their customers and their ToS if they’re not already scanning your emails and files? I mean law enforcement is not allowed to do that, they need to show probable cause first.

So they are scanning that stuff, just not for the purpose of targeted advertising which raises the question, if they’re not scanning your emails, communications and files for targeted advertising why are they scanning it?
For things like Cortana for the same reason Google does for Google Now notifications
You get automatic notifications for things like appointments, flight data, parcel tracking etc

Atr; Maybe they thought it was already among common knowledge among windows users, maybe it is the usual tendency for companies to have confusing EULA statements, maybe it’s people trying to find something to nitpick and run to the hills with it, maybe it’s the fact that there aren’t many companies or even non-profit organizations having a perfect record in information disclosure (even the BF has had to face statements about not disclosing enough), or maybe the standards for transparency according to some are just ridiculously high.

Nothing stops the rumor mills regardless, there is almost nothing out there that they can’t spin into a major story.

I’ll refer you to my previous post.

Actually I think you can stop the rumor mill if you just use clear cut, non confusing, upfront and forthcoming language. If Microsoft, in their blog post, is trying to clear up confusion why would they continue to use confusing language? I mean they could’ve just said look we’re looking at your emails, but only if we believe you’re a criminal and that looking at your emails might lead to your arrest, but they didn’t say that, they pretended like they weren’t doing it at all.

They’re trying to hide it, they’re clearly trying to hide it. Why?

You do realize that Cory Doctorow is a respected academic that worked with Aaron Swartz and Lawrence Lessig to bring us Creative Commons right? Or maybe you just make a habit of calling people tin foil hatters without even bothering to consider their position?

I showed an economic engine for the –> observed <– results that we are seeing. I didn’t judge it as nefarious or anything else. Those who endeavor to understand tend to see little to accomplish with judgement. Evidence and explanation is much more meaningful. Your claim of judgement is nothing more than projection.

The mills will still find a way, gotta give reasons for the people to flood your site with clicks :wink:

While that is true it doesn’t really explain why Microsoft feels the need to hide the fact that they are reading their customers emails, communications and private files. In this case it’s not really a rumor now is it, we know Microsoft is doing this, what we don’t know is why Microsoft seems intent on obscuring this fact.

Why ask why when there is plenty of evidence to consider? License agreements are commonly unintelligible for the purpose of obscuring the conditions of the agreement. If the agreements were designed to be commonly intelligible then they would be. Some actually are. Googles’ verification agreement is simple and easily understandable. This is probably because Google already has the info and access that the agreement could provide.

Personal information is a lucrative market. That is a fact. Companies either pay for information or they get it themselves. Getting it themselves is more cost effective. Windows 10 is funded with patrons personal information. Surveillance opens legal doors for collection and levels the playing field with Google and Facebook.

Read David Brins’ “The Transparent Society”. It shows the manner in which information is becoming more valuable… especially personal information. If you want some back story read John Naisbitts’ “Megatrends”. There are predictions of the emerging information society.

It doesn’t require creating an enemy twisting a curly mustache. These systems are self organizing systems that can be reduced and even predicted to some extent. There is a powerful financial advantage to having virtual spaces that are frequented.

I have assets for Jazz Jackrabbit 3D maps made in udk before Windows 8 in 2020 might be neccessary to become installed operating system.Rest of games might work in Windows 10 I guess,but privacy might become endangered.I hope Windows 7 from 2015 to 2020 will support more service packs.I have plans to saty with Windows 7 after 2020.

You do realize that not every single thread in the off-topic section is about Jazz Jackrabbit, and that not everyone has dedicated their life to that game?

@BluePrintRandom
Linux kernel modules (drivers) are distributed pretty evenly to the different Linux versions but that doesn’t mean the installer DVD/CD-ROM/USB has the kernel modules beacuase nvidia and ati modules/drivers are proprietary, only difference is the installer which varies from distro to distro.

I would use GNOME on an openSUSE distro, only because I have used Slackware, Puppy Linux, debian, Ubuntu, Damn Small Linux, ARCHlinux, GENtoo. KDE, and Openbox (to name a few)
here are some one click installers for multi-media and nvidia/ati cards for openSUSE: http://opensuse-community.org/
if you want a “recommended” method to install the nvidia driver try this (also for openSUSE): https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers
Iv

you could use Ubuntu, but I gave up on them years ago as they really seem proprietary and not interested in the bigger picture of open-source software or computing.

debian is an alternative but the learning curve is steeper
and steeper yet of a learning curve is ARCHLinux
Slackware supposedly runs out of the box but is a huge download, but you’d have to download the proprietary nvidia packages just like with Ubuntu and openSUSE or any other Linux distro.

Ubuntu may be simple from the hype but just as much can be gained from learning openSUSE without the proprietary aspect
openSUSE can load debian packages (packages=software apps) “.deb” files which Ubuntu and debian uses and Slackware can also load .deb packages with the program called alien
and I think redhat packages can be loaded with the same package “alien”.

if you think you want something on an openSUSE system that is available in a .deb package for debian or Ubuntu try this package search page for openSUSE first before installing .deb or .rpm packages: https://software.opensuse.org/132/en[](https://software.opensuse.org/132/en)
sourceforge is a good repository for software that includes cross platform packages Microsoft and Linux compatible.
but before you grab a package from sourceforge check https://software.opensuse.org/132/en to see if it is already available to openSUSE, which it most likely will be.

as a resort, which I have taken, it is functionally possible to run linux command line packages on windows with CYG/win
that way you have some of the compatibility of Microsoft Windows and able to use basic Linux power utilities like ffmpeg, imagemagick, and the Linux shell bash/mintty.
mintty on windows allows for a zoom to increase font size with the mouse wheel + ctrl key.

the only drawback to using GNOME instead of KDE that is troublesome to me is KDEnlive needs some KDE packages, it does run on a GNOME desktop fine but needs to DL some KDE desktop packages to run. probably ~150 megs of files.

one thing I was never able to get to work was CYG/win X…
running Linux GUI packages on a Microsoft pc, some have got it to work but not me.

something for you to ponder, good luck

Shrodinger, This is my first boot off thumb drive os, and my first time using linux at all, Do you think you could give me a step by step?

I setup the thumb drive first right?(to have a bootable copy of linux?)

We get it, windows 10 is satan now please continue on back to ubuntu and let people who nothing to hide continue using Windows 10.

Really I have nothing to hide, I just want a OS that is not wasting my resources,
and randomly almost crashing my PC by scanning everything with antimalware in mid render

:expressionless:

My hard drive is only 5400 cycle and is the slowest part of my machine,
and when antimalware grabs all my resources everything gets caught in a loop,
that occasionally ends with blender crashing.

ok, it matters as to which distro of Linux you are using.
Linux distro is different than desktop shell.
KDE, GNOME, OpenBox are shells that run on a Linux distro.
It would be helpful to know both the distro and desktop you chose.
I suggested GNome and openSUSE because KDE seems slow and OpenBox is not as robust and openSUSE because of the support which is on https://forums.opensuse.org/forum.php
I’ll help where I can though,
Don’t expect the USB drive to last very long, running an OS on it is a guarantee that it it will die… it’s just a matter of time… I had a USB fail in a couple of weeks of regular use.

most Linux distro will install to the USB from the DVD/CD-ROM
UNPLUG your hard drive first before you accidentally write to it doing the trial install, then boot from DVD/CD-ROM
you must unplug the hard drive because most distros will write to the first MBR and that is the hard drive but you want to only write to the USB so unplug the hard drive during the install procedure.
that is how I would do it.

if you are installing openSUSE don’t use the btrfs filesystem
when it gives you the install screen for filesystem choose expert

delete all partitions proposed for the USB by pressing the right mouse button on each proposed partition on the expert menu.
create one 2gb partition and designate it swap by right clicking the USB device
create maximum partition and designate it etx4 and mount point /
then ok it and continue
the summary screen is where you enable “boot from MBR” and disable “boot from partition”
then install, takes a few minutes

then update on first boot
then reboot after all updates complete

then plug hard drive back in

will windows 7 have more service packs?