WARNING! Do NOT upgrade to Windows 10!

I have all 3 of my comps on win 10… got better load times …they all “talk” to each other (didn’t always happen on win7)
had some “niggles” I hate the look of it [sure there will be 100’s of themes in time] it dumped some old proggys in win.old
most reloaded with no problems …couple was that old I never thought they’d work on 7 but they did sorta after a week of fiddling
don’t use them anyway so don’t know why I bothered

of course there will be some people with problems …that don’t mean win 10 is bad
although my tablet works on 2 machines and odd things on third …suspect that is keyboard NOT windoze rofl
as for the security worries …sorry if you been on amazon/ebay other!!! your already at risk

@BPR you can run Linux off a dvd if you want to …just to get the feel of it
it “should” run ok of a flash drive (not tried) and you can add blender ~etc which is more awkward from a dvd

ssd’s are great lots faster and if your careful to keep junk off it :wink: a 120 gig is pretty cheap

Whatever it is, it’s not very processor intensive. The total performance of my machine did not even get so much as a hiccup when those updates were applied.

For alleged ‘spyware’, it’s not the type of thing that bogs down your machine like a lot of actual malware. Besides that, unless you moved to Linux immediately after the updates were applied, Microsoft already has your data and switching the Linux will not yank it from their servers (and yes, that includes the vast majority of the tinfoil hat crowd).

actually its more about not wanting all this alienware bloatware on my machine, and having it stable, (alienware hivemind)

so I am also worried about linux nvidia drivers, as the card is a strange version of the 750 ti without the monitor output hardware, only hdmi.

I’m not sure that those updates add the same level of data collection as Windows 10. Apparently there’s more collecting going on, but when you install the updates for Win8.1 or Win7 are you asked to agree to a new end user license? The Win7 and 8.1 EULA does not contain the same privacy policy as Windows 10 so unless they ask you to agree to new terms when installing those updates I imagine Win7 and 8.1 are still less invasive than 10.

if you want to keep the “spy-ware” of win 10 off 7 and 8

Then DO NOT!!! install ( or uninstall) updates
KB3068708
KB3022345
KB3080149
KB3075249

and have auto update set to NOTIFY ONLY
and let YOU!!! select the time to install them

Thanks for the heads up

Got win 10 with my new machine, and it works flawlessly. I didn´t care much for the all white theme, but soon found a hack for that, so I can now chose different theme colors for headers, too :slight_smile: I really don´t have any problem with Microsoft collecting data to improve my OS experience, expecially since I´m not a terrorist/child molester/insert whatever, and as far as I know it can be turned off. Anyone else want a tin hat?.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]402099[/ATTACH]

There is absolutely nothing wrong if you choose to trust Microsoft. Some of us choose not to and there is nothing wrong with that either.

Some people are not at all concerned about their privacy while others are very concerned. To those who are not concerned issues concerning Microsoft’s handling of private data are of little interest. However there are those who are concerned about it and there is nothing wrong with those people having the opportunity to read about it and see the opinions of other like minded individuals.

You are not naive if you trust Microsoft, neither are you suffering from paranoid delusions if you don’t.

The world is big enough for all of us.

If you have nothing to hide then why worry right? Anybody else want a dunce hat?

This just in, 100 million people has apparently ignored those who fear the adoption of Windows 10 could bring about the economic apocalypse (because of the idea that hackers could take the collected data and run with it).

It has already shoved Linux into the ‘whatever that is’ category again. Then again part of it might be that it’s reported that a lot of people do not know what Linux can do now or are even aware it exists.

just got a 120 gig high speed usb 3.0 Flash drive,

was going to try and boot linux off it with blender, and see what bge performed like. part of me says faster, as win8.1 has some bloat, and my hard drive is slow,

but part of me is scared about my nvidia drivers for my semi custom video,card thing, but I guess there is a steamOS build for it…

can any linux ninjas tell me if I can run a clean linux distro, and somehow get the best drivers for my alienware alpha nvida custom gpu?

I use the default open source MESA drivers for my Radeon and they work great, I’m not sure if nVidia support in the open source driver set is as nice though.

Installing the proprietary drivers for nVidia cards is going to be a bit different depending on the Linux distribution you use, but here’s a link to a tutorial on installing them in MINT 16:

P.S. This is also something that would be dependant upon your distro, but in Fedora 22 I noticed that when I install Blender from the repository the h264 options are missing from the codec selection menus, but when I download from blender.org and just use the zipped version those options are present. Fedora, unlike some other distros like MINT or Ubuntu, does not include proprietary format support like mp3 or mp4 out of the box. Support for those formats must be installed after installing the OS. I believe Ubuntu and MINT install some of that stuff during the installation process, but you may need to keep an eye out and make sure you check mark the option to install 3rd party format support or something like that.

Adding a shortcut for the zipped Blender to the application menu isn’t the same as in Windows, you need to create a .desktop file in your /home/user/.local/share/applications directory that instructs the OS what command to run when clicking the shortcut and how to display the shortcut such as a path to the icon, in PNG format, to display.

Here’s an example .desktop for Blender if you unzipped it to a Blender folder in your home directory.

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Blender
Comment=3D modelling & animation package
Exec=/home/user/Blender/blender-2.75a/blender
Icon=/home/user/Blender/blender-2.75a/icons/48x48/apps/blender.png
Categories=Graphics;
Type=Application
Terminal=false

You’ll want to replace ‘user’ in the path with your username. Use your filemanager to find the /home/user/.local folder, you’ll need to enable ‘show hidden files’ in order to see it. In Linux any folder starting with a period is a hidden folder. Once you get to /home/user/.local/share/applications with your file manager right click the background and select something like ‘create new’ then ‘blank file.’ Name the new blank file anything with a .desktop extension, Blender.desktop for example. Then right click the file and open it with the text editor for your distro, probably GEdit or KATE.

The above example is a basic example of creating a shortcut, .desktop files have a lot of other options that make shortcuts more flexible, you’d probably want to search the internet about creating .desktop files if you want to get to know more about the other options.

Quickly though:
Name - displayed next to the shortcut icon.
Comment - displayed in the tooltip that pops up when hovering the mouse cursor over the shortcut.
Exec - command that is executed when clicking the shortcut.
Icon - path to the png icon you want to display for the shortcut, resolution doesn’t matter a whole lot as the OS will scale them using a quality scaling algorithm.
Categories - a semi-colon delimited list of categories suggesting what category the icon should be listed under.
Type - What the icon is pointing to such as Application, Link or Directory
Terminal - Use true to display a terminal when running the item the shortcut points to, false to keep the terminal hidden.

Categories and such may be interpreted differently depending on the desktop environment you’re running. For newcomers you might try MATE or CINNAMON desktops which are available as defaults in a variety of distributions, you just have to look for the appropriate ISO to download of your distribution that has those as the default desktop environment. You can install a different desktop environment later without having to re-install the entire OS if you decide you’d like to try something different.

“It’s nobody’s business but mine.” Where and when did we lose sight of that?

Generations ago, laws were passed to protect telephone conversations from “wiretapping.” (“Party lines” notwithstanding …) :rolleyes: Similar strictures were put in place to keep your mail from being steamed-open.

But, when The Internet (tah, dahhh…) came along, somehow we threw this caution to the four winds. Google makes an industry out of steaming-open your email … your cell-phone company preserves (and freely distributes) your text messages … and now, an operating-system vendor thinks that “everything you do on your computer” ought to be their soon-to-be public knowledge. Why? Why, “for ‘marketing’ purposes,” of course. Or, “to improve your user experience.”

It frankly seems impossibly strange to me that, in the last few years, we have utterly thrust-aside as irrelevant all of the many critical lessons that our forefathers (living and dead …) knew, prized, and protected. I fear that history will judge us as being “derelict in our common-sense duties to ourselves.” Or, as Puck put it: “What Fools These Mortals Be!” :frowning:

Personally I think it’s a little like battered spouse syndrome. They make excuses for the assailant in order to justify sticking around because really they have no where else to go. In this case sure they could go to Linux, but they might consider Linux too complicated. For a lot of people it is true that Linux is too complicated for their particular preference and/or ability and for those people it is truly a shame because they really don’t have anywhere else to go, trapped in an abusive relationship with their OS.

An OS that, like the abusive husband/wife, is taking full advantage of the fact that they have no one to turn to.

Part of this is due to the software ideology that has historically plagued Linux (ie. not caring about ease-of-use features because it’s not ‘Linux-y’ or because it would reduce its ability for power users or something like that). Linux developers have also historically defended the use of making the console front and center, it wasn’t really until the days of Ubuntu and Mint that things started to shift.

For instance, Linux Mint is just now approaching the same ease of use as in Windows as far as downloading applications, browsing files, and changing settings go (had the various distros decided to really go after Windows users back around the turn of the century, things could possibly be a bit different).

In some cases, various corporations are able to get away with things like that because FOSS failed to produce a reasonable alternative (compare Adobe to the GIMP Foundation for instance, at least Adobe didn’t throw ad-hominem attacks on users who requested functionality that the developers didn’t agree with).

The only problem that I have with Linux presently is their allergy to the inclusion of proprietary drivers in their installation process and their reliance instead to the very buggy open source Nouveau drivers instead which mean that I have to blindly install the nvidia propritary drivers after the installation has completed. I said blindly because on my system, without the proprietary drivers, all i get are corrupted fonts and no hardware acceleration. Good thing that I know how to install them in Mint by heart now :slight_smile:

They really should ask during install if we want to use the NVidia/AMD drivers and download them if need be and install them prior to the first reboot. Beside that the only other thing that make me keep a windows system is my HD video capture card that isn’t compatible with linux and never will be.

I love my Windows 10, just don’t do an upgrade from Win7 or 8.

Microsoft explains why they have the existing privacy policy in place (hint, they’re not intent to collect everything that’s on your hard-drive).

Of course though, there will be some people who will choose to continue their own narrative against Microsoft just because the information is coming from Microsoft (and since corporations are ‘evil’ you wouldn’t trust an executive if he so much as offered to walk your dog).

Actually they are out to snoop just about everything… so they don’t have to pay for what they want.

Businesses like Facebook and Google have personal info dumped in their laps. This gives them a competitive advantage. Surveillance tools can be useful in getting the info too. You can call it bias all you want but the evidence is clear and so is the engine. Your arguments are naive.