Tony Stark

this is getting very good! :slight_smile:

Johnathan, hope his isnt too late but I think your issue with the brow might be more of an isse with the eyes them selves. I belive the eyes are a bit small. Maybe increasing them maybe 15%. I think thats why you think maybe they are sunken in or something. Other than that its a great head model but the likeness is not quite there but thats ok:) there is no reason tony stark has to look exactly like rodert d jr. I also agree the hair is looking great. Keep it up man.

Thanks guys!

Looking really good, but you might want to push that hairline back - he should have full hair, but his hairline is back a bit from there. More forehead by just a smidge :smiley:

You’re right; I’ll fix that.

EDIT: I think this might be better in terms of forehead (I know the hairline itself is a bit off), but I’m not sure yet which style I want to go for.

the armor material seems a bit too shiny though imo…

Thanks for the crit, I’ll definitely be working on the shaders more as I progress. This is still a temporary one.

Are you using SSS together with the the skin shader? If that’s the case I think it is too much. Plenty of the little facial details are out-shined by this scattering, for example the inner structures of the ears.

I am only using the skin shader. I might scale it down a bit still, but the reason the details are not noticeable is because… there aren’t any yet :slight_smile: That’s just the low poly base that I will sculpt the details onto.

I didn’t get to work on the face or hair much, but I modeled the helmet and put together a quick hologram material for it:

EDIT: Thanks Darek, definitely not too late. I’ll fix those eyes!
I just wanted it to look like him for fun :slight_smile:

Still a bit rough, but I started on the glove:

Slow progress recently. I’m almost done with the armor (arms are off, I know). It’s not top-notch, but if I want to make the deadline I need to move on. I will not win because of modeling, I already knew that at the beginning. If I have a chance it is with composition, which has served me well in the past. It’s a gamble, but I’m willing to bet that spending my time on posing, lighting, camera angle, etc… is much more valuable.

Great hard surface modeling. The attachment in your last post is broken.

Thanks, and fixed.

The arm seems a bit squarish, but I don’t think it’s a deal breaker whether you fix it or not. Keep on the same track, you are doing well!

Thanks! Today I worked on the holographic supercomputer. He will be manipulating a piece of the helmet in the palm of his hand.

Do you like it with or without the bands? I think they make it look more like a classic hologram, but are a tad distracting.

The glow and such will be a lot less ridiculous when mixed with the real image and not on a black background.

A little more progress. Only one week to go, this is where it will finally start to all come together. Still tons of work to do: rigging, posing, sculpting, texture painting, props modelling, lighting, etc…

Lookin great!

Thanks man! Here’s today’s update with a pose:

Still no facial expression or detail sculpting yet, but it’s coming! Six days to go!

they don’t call that part of the helmet jonathan, neither do they name the other part lampel.
also i would rather see a big garage(with lot’s of r8’s) as a background rather than some motherboard!
but sweet scene and modelling afterall…:yes:

You are doing great. I found your work inspiring as I am also making one, the Iron Man Mark 43 deep space suit based on multiple armor references.

From what I see, circuit board image is on the hologram computer screen front, not in the background. Background is blurred to push focus front and center.

The current shape of the face lends toward a puzzled look right now, it will be great once you get the shape keys there.

The suit looks good. His face needs some work. Right now it looks like a cartoon version of iron man which might have been what you were going for. He is missing eyebrows and some of the creases on his face such as around his eyebrows and his eyelids are missing. Also he doesn’t have eyelids from what I can tell. His eyes should be brown too.

try to add some normals or bumps to stark face and i think it will be perfect.

as you can see on ref the original picture stark is a old man and on final render they looking a 18 years boy “like max steel” with everything smoth.

but great work bro! keep pushing!

Are you gonna add more facial detail and textures?

Whoa, thanks for all the critiques! Honest criticism is what keeps pushing me to get better :slight_smile:

@pranavjitvirdi: Hahaha, glad you caught that. Background is as Craig says though. It might change a bit, but I don’t have much time and I want to focus on more essential parts like the face.

@Atom: Thanks, and good luck with your project!

@Craig: Right on, that’s exactly what I was planning to do. Thanks for the encouragement!

@DanielW: More face details are coming don’t worry. But he definitely has eyebrows, perhaps you meant eyelashes? Those will be put in once I do the final sculpt

@Pablo: Thanks, and I definitely will!

@Blenderjunkie: yes, yes, yes!

Haha, it looks like everyone is saying the same thing. I was procrastinating on the face details but it looks like I better do them sooner rather than later just in case it doesn’t work like I think. I’ve never successfully done this before, so wish me luck! (or give helpful tips, that would be cool too :slight_smile: )

Any thoughts on composition would be very appreciated!

Edit:
I started on the expression, but I got stuck and am not sure what it needs. More intensity? Right now he’s just mildly puzzled / annoyed. Does it need more sculpting (except for the asymmetry that I’ll add right before I texture), or should I just go on to texturing it and detailing it that way? Thoughts?

Hey Jonathan - this is turning out to be outstanding! The facial expression is definitely way better - if you’re after intensity maybe rotate his head forward and down a tad and have him glowering out from beneath those brows? Maybe something for the final pose. Good luck :slight_smile: