Tony Stark

Yes, it needs a 5 edge pole to control the edge flow, just like you modelled it, Jonathan. But it should be positioned higher. Here is the part of the video from the valuable Blender Cookie topology collection where Jonathan Williamson discusses this specific pole.

Thanks for the feedback, I think the cheek flows a bit better now.

I’m almost done with the re-topology. I’ll do a bit of tweaking and adjusting, but it’s almost time to add in the fine details with the a high res sculpt.

EDIT: Thanks for the link minoribus! I’ll check it out.

No , amigo it’s still horrible

^^ I’ll work on it some more, but I can’t spend too much time nitpicking unfortunately because things like texture painting and detail sculpting are going to take some serious time.

Just played around with Matthew Heimlich’s skin shader on the retoplogized head:

Pretty nice shader! Of course not at all realistic until I do the detail sculpting and texture / bump painting.

Hey Jonathan. Your character is coming along nicely! I am just busy retopoing my pirate character and saw you are trying to deal with that smile line. I attached a smoothed version of my current topology for you to have a look at. Its not perfect and certainly not just my own take on this…just my interpretation of other topologies…but this might help you connect the smile line without creating other problem areas. As stated before, if it is only for a still its not really important but it is always nice to go through the motions for future reference. Best of luck with this.

Attachments

Thanks for that Shakedown, good luck with your pirate!

I can tell something is off with the brow, but I can’t put my finger on it. Are the eyes too far back? Is it too round underneath?

I couldn’t bring myself to detail the head yet, so I started on the armor. Shapes need a little tweaking, but the mesh is there at least. I’m only going to need the torso, arms, and hand for this shot, but that’s still going to be a lot of work.

The forehead is too round - look back at the drawover I did, and look at how the forehead is kinda flat and then has the crease, rounding into the brow. Also look at where the forehead lines up to the upper lip in relation to the nose to double check placement.

edit: cool armor already, nice

Thanks Craig, I’ll take a look at that again. If I manage place in this contest, it will be your fault :wink:

Also, I found a better way to shape the chest right after I posted:

Have you thought about using masterxeon1001’s approach to sculpting the armor for the most part, and then using retopo to get the hard surface model? It might be faster to rough out the form and get the details worked out before doing the retopo/subsurf/solidify route after. Let me know if you need the link to his tutorials.

I just watched a few of his videos and that looks like a good way to go when creating an idea from scratch or doing difficult areas like the hands. I’ll definitely look into that more.

Today’s progress:

That looks quite cool. :slight_smile:
Great progress so far Jonathan. I think that if youd add the hair soon itll look more like him cause right now is quite hard to figure out the likeness without it. After adding that, youll automatically notice some off things. Cheers man, and good luck. Ill keep tracking this.

Thanks Alin! You made me curious as to what he would look like with hair, so I had to test it out:

A little scrappy (I especially need to rework the eyebrows), but a good start I think. I created it on a seperate mesh, so I don’t have to worry about screwing anything up when I sculpt the details of the face.

That hair on top of his head is really amazing! Is that an out-of-the-box hair BSDF?

Indeed, nice reflections there. :slight_smile:
And separating the meshes was a smart thing to do.
Keep it up.

Thanks! It is just a default hair shader, so kudos to the awesome devs!
Here’s some small progress for today:

Lol actually I couldn’t recognize him as stark until it got hairs, nice work here!

Looking really good, but you might want to push that hairline back - he should have full hair, but his hairline is back a bit from there. More forehead by just a smidge :smiley:

You can tell who it is now :smiley: nice work, keep it up!
the armor material seems a bit too shiny though imo…

Good progress, so far, Jonathan.

Are you using SSS together with the the skin shader? If that’s the case I think it is too much. Plenty of the little facial details are out-shined by this scattering, for example the inner structures of the ears.