The "Telecalculograph" (Blender Guru SteamPunk Competition)

Hmm. Colour… UK? Or India? Or am i anywhere close?

Oh, my bad, i see it now. Sorry about that :o

?? lol, i don’t get what you mean :confused:

Edit: oh, i see… the way i spell colour. Haha, yeah man, U.K :smiley:

Really nice shading here. But I feel there is a difference in the age of the bright and the brass metal parts. The bright ones look quite new. Do you plan to age them like you did with the damnation logo?

Looking really good man!

It is my plan to have an over-all weathered look for this machine yes :slight_smile: I need to create some new textures to control the roughnes and also mix in a bit more grunge on the areas you mentioned, The glossy highlights are too intense and need toning down… Perhaps just darkening. We shall see, i’m going to do some tests tonight… maybe see if i can fix the age problem using a purely procedural solution.

@NID Graphics - Thanks man! :slight_smile: I’m hoping to work on the background soon… I also need to make a generator to be the power source for the machine :smiley: lots of work ahead, so little time. I need to stop procrastinating!

lovely materials, really good job!!

@defmaka - Thanks man! You’re project is coming along really nicely too :smiley:

Finally started work on the generator today.

After 3 failed initial attempts, i think i have started to make some nice progress. There’s still a lot to be done on this, but i thought i should upload it now to see if you guys think there’s anything i should change/improve/add before i move on further.

Here it is, Any thoughts? -

Front -

Top -

Back -

Quick render with some procedural placeholder materials. (These materials aren’t final lol, just a quick 5 minute throw together)

Just wanted to get a quick view of what this will look like when shaded properly.

Forgive the noise, it’s only at 200 samples :slight_smile:

Got to work on some of the generators real materials today.

I think the bump might be too strong on some of the metal casing, I should probably tone it down a bit.

The damaged metal shader for the casing is created with image textures, 2 seperate U.V maps, Gradient textures and vertex colours.

What do you think? does it look good so far?

Quick render - 200 samples

Damaged Metal Shader Nodes -

(Forgive the messy nodes, I’m leaving cleaning up till i’ve finished the scene :slight_smile: )

Hi again,

I’ve finally had some free time today, so i leapt upon the chance to get onto blender.

I really need to get a move on if i want to even get close to finishing this project. I still haven’t come up with an idea for a scene yet, i’m just building up the objects hoping an idea will come to me in the meantime…

Today, i decided to work on some of the peripherals, and have made good progress on a joystick style controller to be one of the inputs for the telecalculograph.

I’m not sure if the design is steampunk enough though? what do you think of it? The user controls the joystick by rolling his/her hand across the big ball thing, that rolls the smaller ball and sends signals to the (imaginary) cpu. Also there are buttons and sliders for other inputs. There is a small lock at the front, because the box compartment opens out. (Theres nothing in there, its just for aesthetics). The two button like objects at the back of the joystick are lights, The left one shines green if the device is ready to use, the right one shines red if there is an error.

Could really do with some input now, my time on blender is limited so i need all the advice i can get so that when i do get a chance to work on this project, my time is used to it’s fullest :slight_smile:

Everything is looking really good! I have been having hardware issues, so I’m a little off track right now :confused:

@NID Graphics - Thanks man! :smiley: … Sorry to hear that you’re computers acting up mate, Mine is begining to struggle now. I’ve had to do some retopology on everything to simplify it because i was at over 5 million verts! (After Subdivision)… So that has taken up a lot of my time, i still need to optimize a few more meshes :confused:

Hey everyone :slight_smile:

Sorry i’ve not posted an update here for a while. I’ve been trying to focus on working rather than rendering out small updates every day or so.

I’ve been making great progress lately, and i have my background scene on the way to completion. I’ve decided to set this scene as a steampunk office, so i’ve made a full antique style desk and i’m currently working on all of the little bits and pieces for it like small decorative items to display around the desk.

The room is currently just a box with a window, i haven’t started work on that yet, but i have a good idea of what i want it to look like :smiley:

Here’s my to-do list:

• Steampunk style glasses (Telescopic Spectacles) to place on the desk
  • Find a good position for the generator or just remove it from the scene
  • Create a nice decorative coat rack, with items of clothing hanging from it - I.e hats, scarfs, coats.
  • Create a nice posh steampunk infused chair to go along with the desk
  • Finish the room
  • Sort out a decent looking composition!!!

Only ten days! I need to get a damn move on.

Sorry theres no render, it’s just taking too long and is wasting valuable time! :smiley:

Please finish this! I love this thread.

Absolutely! We would be interested in updates if you can post some without getting way 2 off track :slight_smile:

hey guys :slight_smile: Finally got some time to do a render. It’s at very low samples and low resolution but i needed to get a render out so i could mess around in photoshop and come up with some concepts for my final piece. Lots of noise reduction on this, the raw render is insanely busy with fireflies!

This is my favourite edit so far, the final will probably look something like this (exept way better quality - This was rendered at only 1000 x 917) -

Please let me know what looks good and what doesn’t, most of this is very rushed, i.e - the chair and curtain areas were done in 20 mins (Including texturing and materials)

Also, the wallpaper texture is a bad colour for this scene, i’m gonna edit it tonight.

I’ve been trying to keep up a good pace without hindering quality, but i’m not sure if this even looks good anymore! i’ve spent too long staring at it haha!

I will have some close up renders posted soon, You cant really even tell what some of these things are

@Rachel - Thanks! I certainly do plan on finishing this… it’s my number one priority haha! Making time for it is difficult though, i’m doing what i can, when i can :slight_smile: Hopefully it will be enough to get this thing submitted before the deadline creeps up!

@NID Graphics - I kind of have gone a bit off track, i needed a lot of things to beef up the scene… Just a computer, afew peripherals and some steampunk misc wasn’t enough. So i’ve changed direction in the past week, Hopefully it wasnt a bad idea :confused: