The "Telecalculograph" (Blender Guru SteamPunk Competition)

Oh yeah! This is looking great!!

@NID Graphics - Thanks man! :slight_smile: the final will look tons better! this image was made just to get a basic concept to work on and give me some direction.

I’ve done a quick render of the objects on the desk, so that you can actually see what they are.

This is the first close up i have done and i’ve noticed some mistakes. I forgot that i have to use the attribute node whern using multiple u.v’s so the keyboard keys look really wierd. Also, i noticed the shader for the light cases on the joystick is terrible, it looks sort of like thick smoke for some reason. Luckily, both are easy fixes :smiley:

What do you think? -

I’m a little sad the computer isn’t getting center stage but your image is looking amazing. I’m glad you are making so much progress!

@Rachel - I am too, but this is the way i felt the scene had to go… But i do plan on making another scene when the competition is over, just focusing on the computer :slight_smile: Mainly because i but so much detail into the thing, but also because i want to see how realistic i can get it to look when time isn’t a factor :slight_smile:

The books need some designs or text on the spines, look a little dull as is. Looking good though!

Yeah man, Thats on my to-do list. Just got to find and/or make some good looking textures for them… Tick tock tick tock…

That’s good to hear Jamie.
Where is the generator in this image? Is it behind the computer?
Also, I think the monitor model would look better if it matched the design of the computer chassis with rounded sides and back. Maybe take some references of monitors of the olden days and not flat-screens. Just a thought, I know your rushed right now.

hi rachel :slight_smile:

I decided to remove the generator from the scene. I was having trouble fitting it in anywhere. It looked terrible at the bottom left of the image, and is un-noticable anywhere else. It was a tough call to remove it, because i thought it looked pretty cool. I have it saved in a seperate file, ready to append if i think of a good way of adding it to the scene… any thoughts?

As for the monitor, i completely agree. In fact that was my first thought when i finished the model.

I was thinking of starting the monitor from scratch if i get time, and making a new one something like this -

For the generator I thought it would look good in the left hand corner but it seems like you’ve already tried that. My next suggestion would be to place it on the desk. Perhaps hidden slightly behind the monitor. I don’t know the scale of the object so this might not even work as it could be too big.

A monitor model like that would look much better in the scene, I hope you find the time to make it.

@Rachel - Yeah, i tried the left hand corner, it seemed to draw focus away from the rest of the image… and the generator is a little big to fit on the desk, but i might scale it down and just put it on top of the desk next to the globe for decoration. Thanks for the concistent feedback, it’s appreciated :smiley:

I think i might be able to make the monitor, i just modelled a base mesh earlier and it looked okay. I should probably have time because i’m just recycling materials i’ve already used in the scene at this point to save time, so i could just throw on a couple of metal, brass and plastic shaders on it :wink:

Did a slightly bigger render (1250 x 1150 - 1000 samples) so i could do some proper composition and post pro. I’ve come up with two versions so far. And i’m so tired that i have no idea if either one is any good …

Let me know what you think, i’m done for tonight. I’m gonna sleep on it and hope it still looks good to me in the morning :slight_smile: The final will be around 3k and be done at between 1500 - 3000 samples, depending on when the noise is low enough. these are good enough for getting the composition right before the final render :slight_smile:

Raw -

Composite 1 -

Composite 2 -

Looking quite nice! Composite 1 is better I think :slight_smile:

@NID Graphics - Thanks man :slight_smile: Yeah, i kind of agree. I like the aged look of composition 2, but it’s way to dark and contrasted. Moving on to a hell of a lot of work today hopefully. Doing the book textures now. And i need to fill up those pigeon holes on the desk with some decorative props :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input man, i’m having a bit of trouble with composition on this scene… hopefully i can come up with something better this time. I’m gonna try for something inbetween composite 1 and 2.

Hi Jamie! I hope you aren’t getting annoyed at my criticism. This thread seems to be turning into a focused critiques thread because of me. lol.

I don’t really like the black and white heavy composition of number two. I think it would benefit from a muted look. Keep working!

@Rachel - Haha lol :slight_smile: i love criticism, it makes me better! Anything that you think is wrong or right please tell me, i will always accept a critique with pleasure :smiley:

I agree about Comp #2, And most of the people i know said the same thing when i asked them. I’m going to play around with a few new composition variations tomorrow.

I’ve added a lot into the scene today, theres a new painting on the wall, a family photo on top of the desk, a new top hat on the coat rack along with a scarf, theres a new pipe above the window, a pair of slippers by the chair… some spare gears next to the desk in the bottom left hand corner, and a wooden trunk under the window. And i’ve made the doors for the little pigeon hole compartments of the desk.

I’ve also textured all of the books and edited some of the models such as the wall pipes and window bars to make them look slightly bent and warped in places. Also some various material and lighting tweaks here and there.

Busy busy! lol… Tomorrow i’m going to try and see if i can get some work done on a new monitor model :smiley:

Thanks for the feedback rachel, it’s appreciated

I bet it will look awesome :slight_smile:

@ NID Graphics - Thanks man! Yesterday was the first day that i’ve thought that i might actually finish this on time lol… fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Just a thought…the PC tower should be the main focus of this render. You have so much great detail there with the wood and metal and the gauges. I would suggest putting that on top of the desk to the area right of the monitor and then positioning the camera to the right of the tower looking back towards the monitor and keyboard across the PC tower face and then setting the camera DOF to focus on the PC tower gauges and such. I can completely understand the time crunch and sadly it can be seen a bit in quality on some of the current scene but the PC tower has the quality you need to display IMO.

Just my thoughts:) Good luck in the competition!

@DerekG1080 - Thank you for you’re great feedback mate :slight_smile: I’m making a seperate file now to test out the idea of you’re composition. I think if i mirror the room and windows etc, i can still have all of the scene props in the final. Also it means that the areas that i have not had time to work on as much will be less noticable to the viewer.

Thanks again man, i really appreciate the feedback :smiley: