The Batcave

waaaay better! i agree with the 3 computers, and even better, you can add scanlines effect to all of them especially to the big monitor and later some sort of light glow around them! don’t worry about the chair this is a work in progress though! i like this a lot!

how about eliminating the rocks before the car stand, replace them with some kind of barrier? anyway, 2:12 am saturday here, time to sleep! waiting for other updates!

Little progress has been made since friday

-Added lights along the runway
-made a display case for robins costume (I dont plan on making the costume)
-changed the batmobiles material back to the black car paint
-added some dust/particles, vignette, color correction, adjustments to mist, lens distortion and chromatic aberration (in compositing)

I agree, the black paint is cool - and this is really shaping up to be a cool scene!

Thanks, Craig Jones. I’m still trying to think of things that I can add to make it better. Things like bats flying in/out of the hole in the top right, a shadow of batmans cape that runs along the paved road. Maybe some building materials or wayne tech crates lying about.

Maybe a makehuman version of Alfred up there waiting with a tray and a note on it?

While that would be nice, I dont want to model any characters. I’ve only done a couple of characters and I don’t plan on making any any time soon (even though its the only thing my friends want me to make). I’ve even stayed away from making robins suit and my idea of the capes shadow would just require a simple cloth sim instead of any modelling.

I might just make the tray and place it by the computer.

maybe a robin(bird) sitting by the computer? Suggesting a connection without the character perhaps… or maybe a playing card (the joker) displayed on the computer as part of an ongoing investigation… still awesome work, but it is your project and we are just here to watch it grow :smiley:

Wow, this has come a long way since I last checked in. I have no idea how you do this stuff, I can barely handle low polly game models.

Someone mentioned that the the light hitting the walls is too even and from the sources of light that he could see shouldnt be powerful enough to light up the entire cave so I lowered the main light source so you can see a bit of it in frame. Its a lot larger than what is shown in the render and you would be able to see it if the camera was in a different position.

I lowered the emission values for the lights over the main computer and the armory. He also suggested adding more DoF. Hopefully now it gives some more depth and contrast.

Small update:
-added the Jokers calling card (I might make it less obvious)
-rotated the platform that the car is on so you can see more of the front
-added some lights on the rotating platform so see if it will help show off the sides of the batmobile a bit better.
-moved the camera a bit

Just spent a couple of minutes blocking this out.

Can anyone guess what this is?

If i change the blend in the spotlights settings will it blur everything or just the outside ring? I need to figure out how to add this to the cave without adding too much light

yes, the blend setting doesn’t effect shadow sharpness. Only changing the size will effect the sharpness of shadows. if you don’t want too much light spilling in from your effect spot there, you could do some lightpath cleverness for that lamp.

Thanks SterlingRoth, I might play with the light paths later.

The shoulders need a bit of work done but I think this will do for now.

Not much got done today because I was playing around with decreasing the render times (about 20 minutes for 1024 samples at 960x540). I got it down to about 17 minutes but hopefully when I go to render out the final images I can use 3 pc’s to help reduce the time even more.

I did play around with different shots.

Attachments

I know I said I didnt want to make Robins costume but I wanted to make something else for the cave and this is all I could think of. I’m using one of my previous characters (Sora from kingdom hearts) to help with the cloth sim for the cape. I might use this as a base and sculpt more wrinkles in the cape but I am also lazy and will probably just skip that since there wont be a close up of the costume.

Here’s the costume, I’m not going to make the elf shoes but I think this will do. Time to move on to texturing.

Here’s a shot of the robin memorial. Super low samples and no compositing.

I need to work on the glass some more and you can’t see his mask so i need to fix that too.

I’m thinking of adding these two objects into the cave. The riddler trophy would be easy, I can just place it on the scanner right thats right below where the joker card is but Im not sure how to incorporate the batsignal. Maybe I should make another platform and have it act as the work bench. the signal can be sitting there with tools around it or a tarp covering most of it.

Attachments