The Batcave

Yea that key… I was using this img when i was modelling those parts, i know its for the replica but i was planning on having the bat keychain. I dont have the bay symbol modelled yet (I have batman begins, arkham asylum and batman beyond made).

As for the bat bike comment, this car detached the sides of the car allowing it to fit through that narrow wall, it was still a car. I had to search for it because i thought i remembered that too but it was just the bikes from the batman & robin movie and the TDK. Its not something i plan on doing but it would be awesome to see.

EDIT: Oops, sorry but the img i linked is really big and might take a moment to load.

Here is the interior… not a lot has gone into it yet.

Other peoples’ skill in blender often offends me.

I added the exhausts (maybe too small???), got rid of the crease at the back of the cockpit and most importantly remade the fins. I can spot 1 or 2 things i have to fix with the fins but i think they are much better than the ones i had before.

The 2 images on the left are the new ones and the 2 on the right are the old versions.

What do you guys think? Is it an improvement?

EDIT: I also wanted to say I’m not really trying to make an accurate back. The trunk, exhaust and the jet nozzle wont look like the one from the movie.

definitely love the fins now

Yes, the fins and the back of the car overall look much better! Awesome work so far, Dragonrlh! I haven’t seen the older films in years, but seeing this car already brings back the feeling of excitement of seeing it in theaters.

this is looking amazing. my 2nd fav iteration of the batmobile outside of the original television series version.

Thanks guys.

Im planning on working on this a lot more next week. My 2 main goals are to make the trunk area look a bit better and to get more work done on the cockpit.

I’ve also been thinking of how I’m going to be presenting this. I’ll have the studio style renders but I also want to have some renders in either the batcave or on the streets of gotham. I wouldn’t be using the movie version of the cave or city but I will pull together some of the things I feel make the scene feel like a batman scene. I bought and watched the latest training video from cg masters and seeing one of the images that were created with the assets from the training makes me want to create a run down ally way.

I just wanted to post a higher resolution photo and let you guys know that I’ve created a critique thread. I still have things I want to do but I think its at a good enough point to see what other people think about it.

Oh. It looks fantastic! Lovely.
Only gripe is that the wheel scratches are too uniform. Needs more variation. But I believe those are under work. The tire thread looks excellent!

Latest render is really nice. The gloss is quite spot on.
You really need some more brooding background for this thing to take full effect. It really doesn’t belong to studio.

I haven’t even touched the batmobile today, I went to sleep last night thinking I would work on that all day but when I got up I was like, I should start making the batcave. Right now I’m going back and forth between two methods of making it. The first one would be following the method that Andrew Price used in his cave tutorials and the other method would be to sculpt some rocks (I used Kent Trammell’s rock sculpting tutorial) and make a seamless texture out of it and hand model the walls of the cave.

Here is what i got from the second method so far. While I like it, I don’t think that it would fit with the more realistic shaders on the vehicle. I’m going to play around with it a bit more then see what it looks like with the car.

I started blocking out the cave. This will be a very basic batcave seeing as I dont want to model the boat, jet, dinosaur etc (just pretend they are in another part of the cave).

-top left shows the exit for the batmobie, the elevator shaft and the area on the left is where the armory will be
-top right shows the main pad for the batmobile, the training area underneath and the path on the right leads to the bat computer
-bottom left is the view from the main exit showing the computer and elevator
-bottom right shows where the armory will be.

My thought as to how batman would use the room is as followed: from the elevator he uses the walkway to get to the armory to put on his suit, then continues on the walkway to get to the batcomputer and any gadgets he needs then straight to the batmobile and out the exit. I’m not sure how he will get to the training area, maybe he can just glide or use a ladder or something.

Since I’m still not sure how I am going to texture it I will just work on the man made items for now and come back to that later.

This is where im stopping tonight. I made several types of floor panels and railings and I was about halfway through laying them out when I felt like stopping. I brought in the car just to see what it feels like and to give some perspective (now i realize the railings are too small).

This is how far I got this morning.

-started working on the computer
-made the armory
-added support beams to the floor panels
-added some detail to the cave exit and elevator
-the training area is now square instead of circular
-added path from training area to the armory (still need to make ladder to connect the two areas)
-the bottom of the cave will be water
-the rock formation connecting the exit and the batmobile now looks like a road was carved out from it

Someone in another thread commented about the color of the batmobile so I went back to it to change the shader a bit. I also rendered it out in its full resolution at 1024 samples. I played around with the compositor to get the glare on the lights and vignette.

Hopefully this is the last studio render I do since I’m making good progress with the cave.

I added some more rock formations as well as added some more nooks and crannies. I also made some open areas in order to let in some light.

I also want to make a better computer. Maybe several very large screens and several modular work stations/computer racks connected to each other

Here’s an update on the cave. The first img is just the pure render and the second has some fog added to it using the compositor. I’ve added some more detail to some of the objects but you cant really see it with the textures and lighting. As you can see the cave is really flat in the first img and the mist helps out a little but I still find it very flat. I think I should make the rock look more wet because its suppose to be a damp and mostly dark area. Maybe its also has to do with where the camera is positioned, Ill try another angle to show more of the other levels.

Any other ideas on how to improve it?

the smoothness of the car topology is outstanding! one of the hardest thing, is the ability to shape a car like that while adding holes and grills! obviously i like the render with the fog, but i don’t like the rock textures of the whole cave…you may want to darken them a little bit or turn down the saturation. keep going!

I agree, there is too much color. I did both of your suggestions and now it looks better. I also bumped up the strength of the bump so it helps show a bit more detail and the reflections look better.

Now its looking much better. It looks more like a damp, dark cave.

I just found a nice little tip form blender cookie about adding randomness to a single material thats shared between different objects so I used it on the floor tiles.

I had the chair and armory/display case on a different layer so I forgot to texture them.

The 3 computer stations need to be worked on to break their repetitive nature.

The white lights on the elevator shaft and on the wall are producing a lot of noise so I also have to fix that.

The hole from the outside light (top right) needs to be fixed by extruding the cave and moving it to the side to allow the light to bounce off of it and into the cave.