The Batcave

You can barley notice the trophy and the batsignal is covered with a tarp and you would have to look hard to find it.

The lights and the glare make it hard to get the depth information. They all look like their on one plane.

Thanks for the heads up. I just changed the order of the nodes in the compositor.

Old:
DoF -> Fog -> Glare -> Dust particles -> Lens distortion -> Color correction -> vignette

New:
Glare -> Dust -> Fog -> Dof -> Lens distortion -> Color correction -> vignette

Your welcome.

How do you add DOF in the compositor? Could you eather show me or point me to a tutorial?

the defocus node uses the zbuffer to set the focus

Ok. I feel stupid now if it’s that simple. I always thought the only way was with the setting on the camera.

And in the camera settings i turn on limits and under depth of field i set the focus to the cockpit of the batmobile and change the aperature from radius to f/stop

Don’t worry about it, you can use either one. the compositor just gives a bit more control.

I’ll probably use the compositor from now on. I don’t like waiting for ever forever for my scene to get rid of noise when using the camera method.

Ya thats what i like about the node. I just set up my focus point before i press render then worry about the actual result once its finished. And you can change the amount of focus if you dont like it without having to rerender.

I did’t really want to work on this tonight so I rendered out the full 1920x1080 2048 sample image to see how long it would take on my main computer. It took 4 hours and 5 minutes. I did change the order of my effects in the compositor thanks to TARDIS Maker and I also lowered the amount of glare produced from the lights. Now the lights in the back are blurred a bit and are slightly covered in fog.

Much better.

I modified the rotating platform a bit and added a ramp to it.

getting better everyday! i still find the rocks on the side of the road to the platform (incorrect english for sure) a bit unconvincing. i would put something else, like barrier or kinda like, something that has been built separately. that’s my opinion of course, i probably suggested this to you already (i don’t know maybe you didn’t read ahah) so excuse me if you find this to be rude! I try to improve my english everyday so of course, lots of errors! ciao!

Not rude at all. I dont like that part either but I’m not sure what I want to do with it. Do you mean like a road curb to help seperate the rock from the road or like one of these? I would like to show that the road was built on the rock formation.

I changed the road from asphalt to tiles and added a curb on the sides of it. I was also working on the elevator a bit.

I think there is a bit too much going on in the post pro. Reducing the amount of glare, dof and distortion would help it, imo. It’s just a shame to lose all of that awesome detail behind layers of fog and glare.

Also, I think the batshadow could be lowered a bit, the ears on the helmet are clipping into the edge of the rotating platform which sort of loses the silhouette effect.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll move the bat shadow back a bit. As for the fog, glare etc, I turned off the fog in the last 2 renders which is why it is darker like a real cave should be. I also lowered the glare already but I can lower it some more. For the Dof, the main focus is on the batmobile and the rest was just quickly modeled and not intended on being seen close up. The lens distortion and chromatic aberration are also very low. I can do a render if you would like with them off to show you but it’s only a difference of 2-3 pixels.

Here is the raw img

And here it is with compositing

Side note: Still working on the elevator. Every time I make a new version I end up scrapping it.

I will be taking out the bat signal since it seems out of place (plus the actual machine is there in the cave so how can Gordon be using it?)

I think if you split the difference between the raw image and the composited image, you’d end up just right. Sorry to harp on the post-pro, it’s just something that I notice a lot. sometimes it just seems like something people do to cover up a lack of detail, which is certainly something you don’t need to worry about in this scene. It’s also hard to tell in the reduced res shots, as the glare node in particular doesn’t scale with resolution, it did look much better in the full hd render.

And you can keep the batsignal in there, it’s an older version anyway, Alfred sent over the newer model to Gordon a few months ago.