Support Blender Development by buying DVD training 5: Chaos & Evolutions!

Where these shipped via ground/sea or air? I’m thinking if it’s air it might be awhile before I see mine with the Volcano ash mucking everything up.

@LiquidApe : same situation as for you here in the south of France. I think main shipping are done by plane and the Blender Institute look to be in the center of the volcano cloud above Europe.

Now, if that isn’t epic, I don’t know. :smiley:

MD
(sitting under the very same cloud waiting patiently for his copy)

Arrived today at work. Great impression on my colleagues :smiley:

Many thanks!
http://www.sapoworld.net/wp-content/uploads/Logo-Ubuntu.jpg
For Ubuntu, and compatible *.deb linux distribution , Many thanks to Branko Vukelić for this :
http://www.brankovukelic.com/post/539415929/ubuntu-9-10-packages
He maintain the Gimp-Painter patch ; under the beautifull name of ‘Gimp Studio’.
Full repositery ( i386 / 64bit ) here :
http://code.google.com/p/gimp-studio/
Really cool :wink:

Other infos about the DVD , an answer to an email to setup on the brush Dark/Light and opacity keyboard shortcuts :

• Open the “edit > keyboard shortcut panel”
  • In ‘search’ write ‘brush’
    In ‘tools’
    Opacity = Decrease/‘increase Value1 More’
    In ‘context’
    Dark / Light = Foreground Value Decrease/Increase 10%
    Hope you will find it easy

Je voudrais savoir s’il y a une grande différence entre l’utilisation de Gimp-Painter et celle de Gimp Paint Studio ?
Je sais que Gimp-Painter rajoute un outils mais donne-t-il un rendu vraiment différent des brosses qu’on peut avoir avec le soft de base ?

----- translation (short version :slight_smile: ) -----
Is there a big difference between Gimp-painter and Gimp Paint Studio ?
Is the new Gimp-painter’s brush that good to worth the installation ?

Hi SnakeDoc;

It’s a false idea to think Gimp-painter add only one or two new tools ; all the other tools are affected by some new settings, like ‘flow’ and ‘update frequency’. ‘Flow’ is really important for digital painting.
More infos on how to use the flow and opacity here : http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/brush_away/brush01.php

It’s add too a new behavior for presets ; they don’t load the colors, so you can change brush with a saved preset and keep the same colors.

• The mixbrush is a real step to some behavior like Mypaint/Krita and Corel Painter / Artrage got.

Gimp Paint Studio , ‘GPS’ is a preset collection as the Chaos&Evolutions brush kit ; it don’t change the software , just add presets , gradient, brush, pattern etc… I work with the author to merge our 2 kit. So just a preset , not a software. The title is may be wrong as it’s not the first time I have feedback of this brush kit as a whole new software.

As much as I’d love to support Blender I actually can’t afford this DVD right now because of an incredibly low budget.

In the future maybe because this looks really amazing.

Got it!
Love it!
:smiley:

@ DeeVad : Never heard about the importance of the setting “flow”. It seems to be very useful. Thanks a lot for the link !

And btw this training DVD is simply awesome !!! We really fell that you try to explain everything in details but always staying simple to understand. Great DVD ! :cool:

Thanks for posting this, David. A little correction: it’s now official “Painters Studio” or “Pst” for short. The 1st release will be also called Pst 1.0 Leon (short for Leonardo da Vinci, our first featured painter), and Giniu is the guy behind the patch. He’s the awesome wizard guy that makes gimp-painter- patch work like a champ. I’m more like a vulture that collects the cool shit others are creating (like our favourite guys: David Revoy, Ramon Miranda, and others) and putting it all together as the assets pack for Painters Studio.

I will also have to add that we’re having a major pain-in-the-ass time (sorry for that, but it’s a proper explanation) with the Debian/Ubuntu packaging system. To my knowledge, and to knowledge of Christoph (GetDeb maintainer, who’s kindly offered some guidance), there is no way for us to make apt think painters-studio is gimp (although it’s 99.9% compatible). This means that if you install the above packages, anything that depends on gimp will start screaming for help. So far it looks like an insurmountable problem.

If you are an experienced .deb packager (or know someone who is) please let me know. I’m not very good at .deb packaging, so any help is much appreciated.

Zstar Electronic Co.Ltd, we sell fire cards for DS/NDSL/NDSi, we also have Wii, DSiLL, NDSi, NDSL, PSP2000, PSP3000, PS2, PS3, PSP go, PSP, Xbox360 accessories
www.zstar.hk

I first heard about this DVD when David presented at the Blender conference.

I pre-ordered as soon as it was officially announced.

The long wait is over, it was in my mailbox today! I found the link to this thread from the DVD :smiley:

Now to jump in…

I just got mine, but am having trouble installing the brush kit under OS X. Instructions say to copy the folder contents into “/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Gimp” but there’s no such folder and creating one and copying contents into it doesn’t work either.

When I right-click GimpPainter and “Show Package Contents” I can browse through, find and copy the various files into the correct folders, but this is extremely unintuitive and I was unable to find the correct directory for “tool options” and “toolrc”.

Has anyone else managed to install under OS X?

Mine arrived yesterday :slight_smile: I’m learning serious stuff now and 10 times faster then I would by the trial and error method.

Allright, I’m really looking forward to working through this, but so far I haven’t been able to install gimp-painter on my system. I’m using Fedora 12 on a 64-bit system, I understand this might be a problem…?
So far I’ve tried converting the deb package on the CD to RPM using alien, but the install failed while resolving dependencies. I get a transaction error concerning libpoppler and libtiff, which is strange because those packages are installed and up to date…maybe because they’re x64?

Any help on installing Painters Studio on a Fedora x64 system? Is it possible at all?

Hi, I’ve never used gimp much so I’m a bit lost on how to configure a shortcut to change the value of a color. I’ve found the shortcut list but was unable to find the color value entry.

Edit… ok found it in Context>Foreground Value :smiley:

hmm, I’ve been waiting for over 2 weeks now… how long did it take for yours to arrive guys?

took mine about 3 or 3.5 weeks. The volcano slowed down my delivery though I think.

I really want to get my hands on this DVD, bit busy with university at the moment, but soon I hope!