Support Blender Development by buying DVD training 5: Chaos & Evolutions!

40 days… here in Brazil :eyebrowlift2:

Gimp Painter for mac (Intel)

If the included GimpPainter v2.6.6 for mac does not work for you out of the box, this might help (it did for me):

1. Download and install XQuartz (xquartz.macosforge.org). Don’t forget to log out and in again to complete the install.
  2. Copy the Gimp-painter Brush Kit files to your ~/.gimp-2.6 folder (and not to ~/Library/Application Support/Gimp, as David suggests)
  3. If the pressure on your tablet seems not working in Gimp, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Input Devices -> Configure Extended Input Devices… , choose “pen” from the device list an change its mode to “Screen”.

Btw., I work with OSX 10.6.3.

Best regards,
Samuel

Hey thanks Samuel for the feedback !

‘Prawnsushi’ on my blog comments also give me a good link :
http://www.sapoworld.net/wp-content/uploads/Logo-Ubuntu.jpg
A repositery to install Gimp-painter for Ubuntu Lucid and Karmic for both i386 and 64bit
Really cool ! thanks ‘Prawnsushi’ and the author Hajime Mizuno.

https://launchpad.net/~mizuno-as/+archive/ppa

Cool, thanks for sharing - been waiting for that - makes life with gimp-painter much, much simpler in Ubuntu Lucid :smiley:

On that note, the video tutorials are awesome for a beginner like me - you really have a wonderful style of showing the important stuff in an order, that is easily understandable for me. Learned so much and am still only half through all of them…
And I LOVE the background-music, still not boring at all. Very good choice :wink:

Thank you, DeeVad, for all the sharing!

Thanks a lot Geoadel !

After Chaos&Evolutions , I continue my free tutorials, here the last I wrote on my Blog about comic style inking / coloring with ‘gimp’ and the script ‘flatting tools’ :
http://davidrevoy.com/?article32/comics-inking-and-coloring-with-gimp-painter

I will keep informed on this thread of this new tutorial too.

One additional note:
If GimpPainter refuses to run, even with XQuartz, the following might help:
Open the terminal application and run
rm -rf ~/.fontconfig/
/usr/X11/bin/font_cache -f

Oh, and some other drawing lessons I can recommend (start with the older videos):

Happy painting!
Samuel

The user Frederick noticed a hole into a full WIP video :

The portrait of Cendrea :

I think I get a problem of ‘jumping’ while encoding this large video, even if I checked mostly of all video, I can’t say I played all the full WIP videos.

to repare ; I uploaded the missing part here ( x1 time , 180mo , Xvid without sound ) :
http://davidrevoy.free.fr/video/5-digital-painting-cendrea_02.avi
Sorry about it :slight_smile:

Hi there!.

I just found this thread and that the gimp-painter blog was “cleaned” out :o.

For those still interested in the files, I just posted a link here :

Gimp painter for mac

Sorry about the so-loooong delay (I just forgot about the blog), and good luck for the mac users :).

Thanks slug45 for the time you took to maintain this blog about the Mac version og Gimp-painter.

Hi, DeeVad. Thanks for great dvd workshop.
How are you so quick to switch between colors? How you configure in the gimp-paintershortcuts for “more dark, more light, more opacity, less opacity”? I can’t find these options in Edit-Preferences-Interface-Configure Keyboard Shortcuts.

Hi Exvion,
I use the “color picker” ( with ‘Control’ ) really often as well as the X key to switch background/foreground color. On my pen, the first button is assigned to ‘Control’ to pick color more fast.

To setup the brush opacity keyboard shortcuts :

• Open the “edit > keyboard shortcut panel”
  • In ‘search’ write ‘brush’
    In ‘tools’
    Opacity = Decrease/‘increase Value1 More’

To setup the brush Dark/bright keyboard shortcuts :
(the same as above but)
In ‘context’
Dark / Light = Foreground Value Decrease/Increase 10%

Hope you will find it easily.

Thanks, David. Very useful for me. What keys you use for your shortcuts?

I bought it , its a top notch tutorial DVD, very lenghty, good for even people clueless and those who dont care for 2d. Highly recommend it.

Hey thanks for the feedback Kilon !

Exvion : I’m not sure it will help because I use an Azerty french keyboard , but under a picture of my main shortcuts :