Shades of Gold and Crimson

Bringing the viewpoint down to a real eye level and opening up the right side of the image has made all the difference. A side effect of this is that the lamp standards don’t need a second look to see that they are the correct height. Excellent work.

90% photo real :wink: :cool: :wink:

So much detail. I love being able to see the pictures through the windows! Amazing. Personally, I like the angle and height of the camera view. It may not be a natural setting in the eyes of person at the scene looking at the street, but I think it captures the essence of the area. Kind of like taking a picture of mountain climbers climbing a vertical cliff from a helicopter.

This picture is great. I’m very impressed.

All of these different versions are, I think, “the photographer’s choice.” And you can see how, just as in real-life, it is a choice that makes a tremendous difference in how “basically the same shot” sells itself. The first image emphasized the architecture of the building and of the ornate lamp-posts, yet (by virtue of converging lines of which the right-hand border of the image was one of those “lines”), subtly drew your attention to whatever was at the end of the street. (Yet, because there was no “lightest part of the picture” over there, your eye also drifted back to the main subject.)

Moving the camera off the boom and down to eye-level changed the point-of-view completely, by putting you into the picture and giving a much greater sense of immediacy. Putting more of the Fall foilage at the end of the avenue into the picture de-emphasized the buildings almost completely.

What makes all of these shots work is that there is none of the most-common technical flaw: “bent verticals.” The lamps go straight up, as do the walls beside them, and they remain parallel up-and-down the street. Bent-verticals is the number-one error in architectural photos; it’s the reason why “old-fashioned” bellows cameras are used (even today!) in taking them … the so-called Scheimpflug Principle.

I do candidly admit that, having seen the wonderful tops on those street-lights, it seems a shame to omit them entirely. :yes:

You have managed to produce a very realistic and well-exposed image. The tonal-range from light to dark is very pleasing throughout. It is entirely believable as “real life” absent close-inspection to prove otherwise … and there is nothing here that begs the eye, “waitaminit, something’s not-quite right here … look closer.” Congratulations on a job well-done (in all cases).

Now … look! … the door opens, and a young couple (the woman looks suspiciously like Sintel …) walks out, closing the door neatly behind them as another new Blender movie opens, set in a northern city somewhere on this globe …

Very nice work! I had to do a double take to tell if it was a 3D rendering or a photograph.

Looks like a fantastic, flawless and highly detailed model! Congrats to the great work!

the lamp post is great. But there is a little bit extra bump on wall texture…

I really enjoy this image. The attention to detail is superb! The building, the leaves on the ground, etc… Really nice work. The only thing I spotted that looked a little off was the background image. Regardless, a great piece of work!

Absolutely stunning work. I too thought it was a photo when I first saw it and hope I can someday get that level of detail into my own work.

I hate to kibitz on such a fantastic piece, especially since I’m still on the “How to make a trashcan” tutorial, but as an old man who spent most of his life in the construction industry, there are a couple of things that keep catching my eye.

The fist is that there are no structural supports at the gates in the fence. With wrought iron fencing embedded in cement, structural support along the fence it’s-self is not necessary but where you have the gates you have to have some kind of subdued support to anchor the hinges and the latching hardware. Just a flat-iron rectangle a little thicker than the fence it’s-self is all that is really needed there.

The other thing that keeps grabbing my eye and won’t let go is the running bond brick pattern in your window and entry arches. While you can use a running bond pattern on the entry way, typically the running bond pattern is rarely used on arches that small. Usually, and, especially for the windows, the bricks would be arranged in a “Soldier Bond”, where the bricks are stood on end and fanned out slightly across the arch. Such arches are also typically one brick width tall. The eyebrow over the arch would then be done in a “Rowlock Bond” which is identical to the soldier bond pattern but with the ends of the bricks sticking out, rather than the sides.

Like I say though, the overall work is simply fantastic. Hard to believe it came out of a computer instead of a camera. :slight_smile:

@sundial thanks for the good word. I’m glad you could see my original vision. I like to think that the original has it’s place. That being said, it’s good to listen to other voices than the multitudes bouncing around inside my own head. Also, if one of my critique/helpers was instead my client, it’d be good to have some flexibility.

@Raven, I’m taking your kibbitzing to heart. The gates were shortcutted - no doubt. And those eyebrows have bothered me no end. The ones in my reference are very similar to the way I have these, but these have a fake look to them. I may look into them tonight. All this after telling myself to let it go, and on to other things - but that’s the way I am. I highly recommend the online tutorials btw. I’ve been doing blender now since February. Andrew Price is great but also many others as well as the geniuses here in the forums. Construction? Then you’re no idiot. Get to know the nodes. THEY ARE YOUR FRIENDS. :wink:

Amazing job!

The lampposts were a great place to start. The detail is excellent!! If I didn’t know it was done in Blender, I’d have guessed it was a real photo.

Excellent work!!

I love this, probably one of my favourite scenes I’ve seen done in blender. The lighting and feel of it is great. Excellent work!

The render is excellent my only comment is maybe a wee bit of DOF something like f5 would be a real nice touch

Wow…very photo realistic…

The modeling of the lampposts seems very artistic and fitting for the scene, a great addition. I’m just wondering, how did you do the spiral? With beziers?

Great work

very nice work, i prefer more fantastic renders (with that talent you could create entire worlds and stuff) but you cant deny the quality of this work.

Amazing detail and realism!

That’s so British! I like it!