Molecular addon available v1.0.2 for Blender 2.77

Wow this is really great!
Runs smoothly, I need to learn the system when I have more time :slight_smile:

Thanks for this add-on, the idea is pretty awesome and I agree with others that it needs a mesher.

Have you considered a hackintosh? I think its possible to run OSX on top of a free virtual machine (like virtualbox or vmware), though not 100% sure on that.

so PyroEvil I guess installing Mac OS on windows machine will work
generally speaking of steps:

you got a code --> put this code into compiler (visual studio (windows),XCode(mac)) --> pass the data to processor as 01010101
so what you will need is just run the XCode,with mac headers for libraries you use (like cython for mac) and compile it
it should work I guess

Wouldn’t it be possible to pass the code to some sort of buildbot that compiles it for mac? (Is that even how a buildbot works?)

@@Pyroevil, Sorry lad never meant to attack your work in anyway. My comments were aimed at the game engine setup within Blender. My Bad if it came across that way, very cool work.

Interesting… I know this is kind of off topic but, is there an advantage to using Ctypes instead of Cython?

My problem is that I’m not very good with C in general. It seems that with Cython, all you have to do is statically type your Python variables and it will convert the code into C. That kind of seems like magic to me so I’m really interested in it. :wink:

If the code is open, Pyroevil could just provide a link to the source and we can all download it and the first one to get it compiled and running can provide us with a link too. :slight_smile:

Yes sound it’s free for non-commercial use. I take it from freesound.org. Check in the description on the video, I wrote the link for it :slight_smile:

well working with ctypes gives you more control “like using C/C++ libraries”, while working with Cython is just like Python and it will automatically convert it to C language

main advantage is CONTROL

in C++ you can HACK anything you imagine

example:(Python)

for i in range(len(object.points_count)): #note they are just random names to understand the idea
…object.points.co = (i,2i,3i)

the above example will give each point x,y,z coordinates in OBJECT ORIENTED style
what does that mean?each point == an object itself!! so 1,00,000 points will do a very slow loop on them in Python

in C++:
for(int i = 0;i<object->points_count;i++)
…object->point[i] = (int3)(i,i2,i3);

in C++,all the points are considered as 1 piece of chunk of data…making loop at least 50 times faster in normal cases…can be 500 times faster if unrolled and optimized

OSX 64bit build now available.
Thanks to Patrick Boelens

Looking at the code right now. I’m amazed by how you made it fit in 1253 lines of code. Ok, now I need to read on that code :slight_smile:

The code can be a bit messy , I don’t clean and comment it for now. It’s in my todo list :slight_smile:

This is excellent, thanks PyroEvil!

And speaking of meshers, OpenVDB would be awesome to help with this. Houdini 12.5’s particle mesher is OpenVDB based (points -> vdb -> polygons), stamps vdb spheres on each point.

Thanks very much Pyroevil, but the content of the zip file seems to be the same as with the Linux Build. Maybe something got mixed up there?
I can’t install your addon with the latest 2.66 release.

@Yodorow, please try again. I could install the addon without any issue, in both 2.66 and very recent build.

@pyroevil, Nice to see your script finally in cython. Works nice.

Played arround with it a bit, so here is my feedback:

First of all it is really a great thing to have. Combine this stuff with a particlemesher and you could do nearly everything you want (and the results seem to be quite accurate - at least they feel realistic ; )

However there are a few points where things could improve:

• Handling:
    [LIST]

• Collapsable Panels (if you dont need one section make it smaller so you don’t have to scroll till your fingers burn)

• Presets: Not only for for mass but also for the whole linking thing - this is the hard thing - this is the thing that makes a material look like an material. For example I tried for an hour to make sand. The best I could come up with was more like molten cheese. If there could be presets on that, everybody would have an easier startingpoint (and even if you ARE experienced it would save you buckets of time)

• I am jus lazy, but could there be a “marco” that fits your particles into your emitter? It is just much tweaking till the thing don’t explodes because its to dense.

• General Stability: Crashed a few times (2.66 @ win7 x64), maybe I entered strange settings. One time my Windows popped up a “low on memory” warning and closed every opened program, so maybe that was just an issue with my full harddrives or memory…
    [/LIST]
    Anyways. Great work - and I’d LOVE to see that thing in a Final release.

Thanks Bashi, I downloaded it with Firefox and set the permissions right on my Blender folder and now it worked :slight_smile:

wow. this is like lagoa for SI. amazing!

We’re talking about the OSX version right? Because it’s a no go for me. I downloaded it just fine, put the folder in my addons folder right next to all my other addons (~/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.66/addons/) but when I go to activate it, it doesn’t let me click the run checkbox at all. No matter how many times I click it or wait for it to load. The checkbox won’t check.

Okay so I tried downloading it with anther browser but all I get is the exact same content:
init.py’ and ‘cmolcore.so’ in a folder called ‘Molecular’ I’m pretty sure I’m doing it right because I’ve downloaded and installed dozens of addons in the past. By the way, I suspect there might be an issue with OSX not recognizing *.so extension. Usually dynamic libraries are stored as .dynlib in OSX. I’ve seen libs as .so’s before but it just seems strange either way. Also I wonder if the fact that I have Wine installed on my machine might be messing with it too?

When you say that you changed the permissions on your Blender folder, I don’t get why that would help? Where did you install it? Inside the “Blender.app” folder inside your Applications folder? I’ve been told not to do that because then the addon only works in that build and you loose it if you delete that build. But if that’s the only way to get it to work…

Yesterday I installed OSX Snow Leopard on virtualbox for trying to help a bit with that issues.
But for now I have some difficulty to understand how osx work. I don’t now if it’s installed 32 or 64bit.