Molecular addon available v1.0.2 for Blender 2.77

Short answer: Don’t worry about it. OSX only comes in one flavor and it’s 64 bit-ish.

long answer: OSX has been turning 64 bit for many years. Supposedly, it’s mostly 64 bit now. So, there isn’t actually a way to install a 32 bit version. The reason there are 32 and 64 bit versions of Blender is because there are still machines out there that use the Core Duo CPU that was the last 32 bit intel CPU. Everything after that is 64 bit. I have an old White MacBook that my wife uses that has a Core Duo CPU. I can’t install any OS newer then Snow Leopard because of this.

Normally when you build applications for using XCode, you can build them to contain 32 and 64 bit code and they will automatically pick the right code to run based on the envoronment. But if you are just building in the terminal using GCC, I think you have to specify weather you want 32 or 64 bit.

BTW: Snow leopard is the last versions of OSX that still fully supports 32 bit.

I specify to virtualbox it’s a 64bit machine. But when I install Blender on it , I can only run the 32bit version. I see somewhere you need to press a key to boot on the 64bit kernel and keep it as default… it’s true ? And a donwload Xcode 4times because the version of Xcode don’t want to run on Snow Leopard 10.6.3

PyroEvil, I see on your blog you talk about simulation times and render times quite a bit - but what are your machine stats like? I’d like to know how long I have to walk away from my machine to simulate some of my own physics fun.

Some founded links for selecting 64 and 32 bit mode, maybe it will be helpfull :slight_smile: http://macstuff.beachdogs.org/blog/?p=134 http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English/Programs/SMS/SMS.html

because I’m not be able to execute Blender 64bit version. The Blender executable have a interdiction sign on it’s icon and a error message appear when I try it like : " you don’t have the good MAC version to run the program " of semthing like that. 32bit version works.

And one stupid question … where is the restart , shutdown and log off buttons on mac osx snow leopard ?

Top-Left Apple logo

I don’t know why I never see it before … sorry.

With some command given by maksat_m I see than I already run the 64bit kernel. So I really don’t know why I can run the 32bit version of Blender but not the 64bit. Somebody know ?

Here is the error I got with Blender 2.66 64bit

Maybe it is restriction of virtual machine? If you have installed virtual box 32 bit version you can’t run 64 bit application. Another restriction - in virtual machine you can’t run applications that require hardware acceleration. Hardware in your machine is virtual (not real). You have to run such applications on real hardware, not on virtual hardware.

I use virtualbox 64bit. I don’t think it’sa hardcare acceleration issues because:

• Blender 32bit work fine on OSX 64bit virtual machine
  • Blender 32bit work fine on Ubuntu 32bit virtual machine
  • Blender 64bit work fine on Ubuntu 64bit virtual machine

When I run the following line in a terminal to know which architecture is currently running on my OSX:
systemsetup -getkernelbootarchitecturesetting
I got: x86_64

So everythings is here for working fine but it’s not the case. :frowning:

Gatekeeper perhaps? Try system preferences Security & privacy and set allow applications from anywhere.

@pyroevil
maybe you can see a bit more what happens if you try to start it from console. For this: Right-click on Blender.app then got to Contents/MacOS/ and double-click blender.

And is there a specific reason you try with Snow Leopard? In Apple World - this OS is three generations old and therefore outdated/not supported anymore.

Maybe your Virtual System is PowerPC 64Bit and not Intel?

Edit: Apple Logo - About this Mac. What Processor is listed there?

@indy_logic
Have you tried install the addon via the Install Addon in Blender Prefs? (Just asking cause that’s the way i installed it and it works…)

I run it with Empire EFI and “about this MAC” make it crash , it’s a well know bugs about hackintosh.
I don’t really know why I use snow leopard, probably because I get bad experience by gettings the latest Ubuntu version ( too slow on a virtual machine ) and get better result with old one (10.04).

Hmm, i’ve installed by “Install from File…” and it puts it in my ~/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.67/Scripts/Addons Folder. It might worked differently in the past.

Also, can you start Blender by Right-Click on Blender.app then got to /Contents/MacOS/ and double click blender there. It will start Blender with a Terminal. Then try to activate the Addon again and then have a look at the Terminal what it prints. Might help solve the issue.

And, i haven’t looked very good in this thread, so maybe redundant: what is you Computer Specifications? OS version and such.

I would like to help out on this. So far i can only tell it works here…

EDIT: i feel this issue is “cluttering” (is this a word?) up this thread…

Pyroevil, got a question for you… I’m doing a particle sim that uses a group of objects to create a word. I achieve this by using a harmonic force on the text and on the particle system. This works great. Here’s a result of the final frame.

The one thing I’m missing is particle collision, which your add-on does, so I installed it and clicked the Activate Self Collision and then started the molecular simulation. But now my particles are not forming my word. This is the end frame after using Molecular.

Any thoughts as to why this would be happening or how to fix it.
Thanks for the help and the great add-on. Keep up the great work.
matthew/mofx

Thanks Bashi! I don’t think it’s cluttered if it helps someone. Although, I have a feeling it might be just me. :frowning:

So, I did try “Install from file” and it just puts it in the same place and still wont let me turn it on. I also did launch from the command line and I did get an error! Yeah! Oh, it’s not very informative at all. Boo!

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/galenb/Desktop/blender-2.66-r56501-OSX-10.6-x86_64/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/2.66/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py”, line 269, in enable
mod = import(module_name)
File “/Users/galenb/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.66/scripts/addons/molecular/init.py”, line 32, in <module>
from molecular import cmolcore
ImportError: cannot import name cmolcore

As you can see it’s simply saying that it can’t load the compiled object. Poo! that’s not helping. :wink: I wish there was some way to get more information.

Machine: 2010 Macbook pro, core2duo, 4 gig ram, 10.8.3 Mountain Lion.

I can’t really help further. But here my specs where it does work: late 2010 Macbook Pro (6.2), i7 2.6ghz, 8Gb ram, 10.8.3 ML

well try this first and tell me what if it works as I suspect (very long system path name)
so try copy blender to something like C:\Blender
then try to use the addon

Thanks anyway Bashi. I figured it out. So the issue is that my web browsers were uncompressing the .zip file and I was dragging the resulting folder into the addons folder. Which, should work by all accounts. Well, for some reason it doesn’t work. I’m still not exactly sure why but I think it had something to do with permissions. Anyway, I re-zipped it and installed that file and it worked. Well, it worked in 2.67 but not in 2.66. Apparently I had changed the permissions on the 2.66 addons folder during this whole mess using the finder info window and it didn’t like that. It found 777 but was expecting 755. Not sure why that would have even mattered but it was easy anough to just chmod 755 on the add ons folder and then it installed fine and even activated. All is well, now all I have to do is figure out how it works. :wink:

Thanks again Bashi! If it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t have thought of launching Blender from the terminal and I would’t have been able to diagnose the issue.

did you put blender 2.67 on the desktop?or on something like C:\blender?
I still suspect it worked due to the fact that desktop PATH is too long for including