Jeep's sketchbook

Here’s a weekend project that I didn’t get done until tuesday:

based on concept art of Gleeman Vox

Very cool Jeepster!

The skin is a little waxy but is looking good.
What kind of node setup do you use for your skins?

Lovely modeling, I dig that style! You guys all work that fast…:slight_smile: I agree with Utopia about the skin, just a smaller scatter radius would make it look much better, because at the moment you can’t really see details on the model.

Great modeling and texturing! Instantly I recognized this as an underwater creature, I suppose through the colors and textures of the skin, as well as the background. I think the lighting also helps to create this underwater look, not to mention give him a menacing appearance. Terrific work!

Did you create the texture in Blender, or an external application?

Really cool Works!!!

How do u maintain Such High Poly’s?

can u share your workflow with high poly’s?

glad you guys like it!
I tried lowering the sss scale as suggested:

Here’s an overview of my workflow, hopefully it’ll answer your questions.

First I started with a cube and spent 15-20 minutes working on a dyntopo sculpt:

I know it looks pretty terrible at this stage, but I don’t try to make it look good here. This is just to establish the main forms for retopologizing:

(Note: this isn’t how the retopo looked at first - I used the multires modifier’s “Apply Base” after changing some of the proportions in sculpt mode)

After 4 levels of multires sculpting…it actually isn’t too high-poly here, roughly 120k faces

I mostly used the clay strips, smooth, grab, and crease brushes.

Then I painted a base diffuse texture by dabbing a brush with a textured mask all over:

I also made a details texture using the same brush mask above, along with a stencil texture of shark skin image:

In photoshop I put this image over the base diffuse texture and set the blending mode to ‘overlay’, and that’s the final diffuse texture. I also used this details texture for the bump map.

Here’s the node setup I ended up with:

It’s not as complex as it looks…I’m basically just mixing the sss shader with the glossy shader. I’m controlling the specular roughness and intensity with the fresnel->colorRamp nodes

Attachments

oh… Thank you very much for this walkthrough Jeepster!

One question: what does that “apply base” button does exactly?

it makes the base mesh model try to match up with the high res sculpted changes - it should reduce stretching when you do a UV unwrap

oh… that’s very useful.

Thank you Jeepster!

Good job Jeepster ! Nice to see other artist like you.

that’s really nice, all the models in this thread are great, i have a question about stencil, im using blender 2.69 but stencil menu isnt the same as shown in your screenshots so im not able to use it properly, do you have any advice on that?

Really really nice Jeepster ! :slight_smile:

kimozz89: after you add a texture in the Texture panel, you’ll need to change the Brush Mapping to Stencil Mode. The texture overlay should show up when your cursor is over the 3d view. Then you can right click to move the stencil, shift+right click to scale the stencil, and ctrl+right click to rotate the stencil

Well done. Love the feel of him…he made me smile too.

Great thread!
Love the latest one. From concept to final presentation, awesome. Really dig the textures on him.

I like so much your Bufomus I want it in my hand

done!

with help of my reprap and some paint

thank you very much, I realy like it

WOW! that’s so cool!

The print looks like it turned out really well. Nice work on the paint job too! I’m curious what kind of changes you had to make to get the model printer-ready… Is it hollow or solid?

Anyway, this is definitely some good motivation for me to upload more sculpts in the future :slight_smile:

ooooh! That IS cool Edddy!
That’s one of my favorites too!
Great touch to leave the anisotropic effect from the plastic on the eyes and dorsal bones.

I’m curious what kind of changes you had to make to get the model printer-ready

not so much, boolean modifiers for the eyes and some plans to support the head and the belly

Is it hollow or solid?

the slicer software for reprap fill the model with a grid structure

new WIP!
midas turtle: