Dorgok - the Human Deer

Clear to see it`s weekend - I can work a lot more on this.

Started painting the head texture. Just of rough idea of colors projected from photos. I`ll sample colors from this and paint over the final product.

Is starting to get the feel I want. Don`t you think the antlers are too big?

Great work! I like where this is going. The antlers look about right, though you could make them bigger if you wanted to portray a sense of grandeur.
Something to break the symmetry would be nice too (as it was in your concept paint)

I’ve been watching this thread for a while now, and it’s coming along really nice! The color’s looking good, too. IMHO you should accentuate the scar on his eye a little more… The base of the antlers look right to me, but they might should thin out a little more maybe? I think someone already mentioned making the antlers asymmetrical… keep it up!

@Januz: Thank you! I made the base of the antlers a bit thinner. I wont scale up them though - its big enough for me.

@bossestrenders: Thank you mate! The antlers were asymmetrical but I accentuated it even more now - hope is noticeable. Also added the scar. :wink:

I painted more on top on the projected texture from photos and the result turned out pretty good. I did not even use the masking by cavity feature yet, but I will when I`ll next work on the small details and imperfections.

Ok! I think Im pretty much done with polypainting and ready to bake all the textures.. I hope I havent forgot anything.
I tried a war paint test - still unsure how to make that real when adding fur or shouldn`t I add it?

Im starting to work on the clothing now - gathered a bunch of reference to get the main idea of what hes wearing… Im still undecided about the war paint - I quess Ill decide how it looks when I finish the clothing and all.

In the mean time, here are the reference photos I got:

It took me a while to figure out the concept of the clothing but I think I finally got it right.
I did some blocking in to have a base to sculpt on.

Here are some previews:

What do you think of the style? Do you think it fits the character?

Excellent character, Alin. I guess his armor/clothing that you have right now depend on what the textures will look like. I’d definitely go woodsy with it for sure. Either way, great modeling and design thus far.

lookin good!
this is really starting to remind me of the overgrowth game

I think that this style of clothing definitely conveys the “Woodsy-Warrior” image :slight_smile:

Thats an interesting advice - thank you! I was thinking on making the shoulder armour glossy so Ill have some blue color reflections to make contrast with the browns and reds. Still, it sounds good they way you said it, Ill surely experiment with the shaders when Ill get there. :smiley:

lookin good!
this is really starting to remind me of the overgrowth game

Yes, I know overgrowth. I`ve been following the game progress for a few years. Maybe I took some of the style along the way without wanting to.

I think that this style of clothing definitely conveys the “Woodsy-Warrior” image :slight_smile:

Thank you mate! :slight_smile:

He seems quite still right now, Im thinking on posing him more dynamically. For one I want to model something like a pipe to add some more visual interest to the face - but for that, Ill need a hand that will hold the pipe, otherwise it will look unbalanced. That means a lot more additional work to do…

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and if you have any opinion or suggestion, don`t hesitate! :slight_smile:

Keep going Alin your doing awesome. I love the style of this creature:) I’ll be watching for more updates.

Wow this guy looks great! Nice polypaint. I think some assymerty of the antlers could make him more beleivable.

alin, this is coming along nicely, i missed some posts, glad i see them now… the antlers appear to the viewer symmetrical, even though they are not, i believe since the number of "branches at each braniching point is same on left and right side, if you break that, for example by making a fork of 3 branches on the lowest part for the left side, while the right has still 2, it would help to sell the asymmetry … another possiblity would be to branch one branch into the opposite direction, but i guess the numbers different would make it more visible

Thank you doris, great tips. Ill make a horn to look broken on the same side with the scar like if he got that from a serious battle. Ill also move some parts around.

This weekend I worked on the leather clothing; the first layer - I`m pretty much done with it. (sculpting and polypainting)

Also, I tried some colors variations. Opposite colors from browns/reds/yellows are greens and blues so I played a bit with the hue to see how it looks. What do you think? I kinda like the green one but it looks unnatural. (Im thinking on leaving it brown and adding small green plants on the armor and clothing in order to have that green tone there.) </b> <b><i>Ill only work on the armor parts after a week because I`ll be off from town for that period.

Anyway, don`t hesitate to give suggestions or opinions.

i like the green best…

Thank you doris, I`ll test some colors later after I finish detailing the armor.

Here are the antlers modifications! Hopefully people will notice the asym now. :slight_smile:

Like I said, I am now away from the country but I managed to think of a story behind the character in the mean time.

Here is it - still unfinished (I need to define more of his present and to arrange the overall aspect of it)

Dorgok (deer name) - (prince name)

He spent all his time in the woods. He is a brave warrior prince. His father was angry.
Because spending so much time in the wild in the woods he became a deer and he became well known in the woods. A friend of the regal family.
Deer were fighters too - they were the defenders of the Antler, the forest kingdom.

The Antlers and the Humans were not enemies. But the antlers had a hidden hatred to the humans because they were banished from the human kingdoms. The antlers and the human were fighting side by side to conquer other kingdoms long time ago.
But the humans betrayed the Antlers and replaced them with horses.

(+more about the Dorgok`s personal story)

I also found some nice concepts that really fit the story now. So I might chance the armour a bit when I get back.
http://subgrafyx.cgsociety.org/portfolio/project-detail/1148090

This is more like what the humans would wear:
http://xric7.cgsociety.org/portfolio/project-detail/1143272

This is kind of the same thing I`ve got but a bull version - pretty similar:
http://cristib.cgsociety.org/portfolio/project-detail/949925

HI! great work! how did you texture him? :slight_smile: ive been working on a wolf… :S but im too scared to UV it cos i dont know where to start. I have a tablet and photoshop

Hey mate, I used zbrush to polypaint the textures. (vertex paint in blender)
I checked your wolf threat and it seems someone answered already to your question. Basically is just about thinking you need to unfold the model on a 2d place surface.
I used both blender and zbrush to unwrap the models.