Dorgok - the Human Deer

It`s been a while but I can finally show some actual progress. I redesigned the armor almost from scratch and I think it looks way better.
-> more natural asym
-> nature-forest, warrior-human balance and contrast on the shoulder armor.

Anyway, tell me what you think? Any suggestions or opinions? (same thing goes to the story - any suggestions on that?)

I wish I have this skills. Sculpting is hard to learn.
Your job is very beautiful and well detailed.:confused:
Was this piece on his shoulder made of wood? If yes, I think it is great and somehow relevant to your original intent.

Wow! I love the armor update! The shoulder pads are definitely a great addition. But a few comments: I think you should bring the strap up above the shoulder pad like in the photo below… I think a belt might add realism as well… I was just wondering how he keeps his armor on his right shoulder, as well as his pants up lol

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!
@Trevis: The should is made of wood but is just a dynatopo mesh I sketched really fast. Ill work on that more soon. :) @bossestrenders: Thanks for taking the time to sketch your idea. The best was actually in my concept but I didnt need a base mesh made in blender for it because I was not sure about the final form. I did finished that just today.

Also moved the strap like suggested.
The right shoulder wooden armour is hold by a strap as well and it`s only one piece so it should be alright.

As far as the belt goes, my initial concept was with the belt under his ‘pants’ - you know the way we are holding out jeans, now think of it like an inverted way: the thingies where you place your belt through are on the inside. Is not too obvious though. I`ll work on that ones I get to detailing the lower part.

Anyway, for today`s update, I finished his left shoulder sculpted details and I fixed some stuff around the whole character.

really great work!!!
I enjoyed seeing developments
question you used alpha in armour or sculpting whith brushes

Thank you Islara. Yes, I used alpha for the ornaments and the rest is hand sculpted.

Just a small update for this morning. Moving on to the lower part.

Last update of the day:
Enjoy!

Any suggestion or opinions are welcome. :slight_smile: Also check the written story of the character on page 3 and tell me what you think.

Hey, just an idea but, this would be perfect for the BG comp. You should totally enter it there if you get it finished in time. BTW, if the composition of the render was slightly looking up at Dorgok, you put a burning castle in the background, (or maybe a forest fire?) and in his hand he’s carrying a flaming torch… Kind of fits with your story if like, the Antlers waged war on the Human kingdom. Just an idea since you were asking for suggestions.

Hey bossestrenders, yea, I though about the BG competition and I might enter if I finish it on time. I`m a bit behind though. It took more a while to figure out the concept.

Pretty interesting ideas - very much appreciated. I was actually thinking on something like that. I really like the burning fire idea. I also though on adding something in his hand. I will go for something like a spear/bow/sword rather than a torch though - cause is more elegant.
The thing is that I need something blue-green in the background in order to get the complementary color contrast with my orange and brown that I have in the character already. So I was thinking to add like a army in the background with a blue foggy atmosphere.
I`m still thinking though.

Here are some images I thought for the background:

Not sure if someone else has suggested it yet, but this is really great work, you should try posting it onto Price’s character comp!
PS - I’ve been waiting for hours, how long does it take for moderators to approve new member’s posts? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey man, yea someone just suggested that but thanks anyway. :wink:
I`m not just about the waiting hours… sorry mate.

As for the Update:
I finished the front lower body armour and Im now testing some concepts for the forearm armour. I want to keep the 'rule' - which means Ill add a armour piece that belongs to the forest kingdom on his right and on his left will be normal human armour. (I tried wood and it looked not so good - like he had a barrel stuck on his arm)

Any suggestions for the concept? Or the story? Honest critiques are always welcome too.

i really like how you made the material already visible on the sculpting stage. it will look great when you add textures … are you thinking about a pose already too? bend arms for example have different forms, so pose, if wished, needs be considered not too late , i enjoy watching your progrss, alin

It looks really detailed, I would personally love to see some colour on the high poly model :smiley:

Hey doris, I am glad to see you like it. :slight_smile: Yes, Im starting to make an idea of the main colors since Ill be starting polypainting soon enough.
Very good tip about the pose. Thank you. I am thinking on posing him in a way though Im not sure how. The thing is that I have everything sculpted in layers so If I want additional wrinkles on the clothing, I can do that without messing up the leather pore details and such. And also, Ill do it with transpose master so I don`t have to worry about subtools or moving it back to blender etc…

It looks really detailed, I would personally love to see some colour on the high poly model :smiley:

Yes, as I said, Ill be starting polypainting right after I finish sculpting some of his last items. But I have his bust, leather cloth, and antlers already textured - if youd want to check them out, they are on page 3.

Btw guys, Im sorry this is not too much too in blender right now, but ones I finish sculpting and texturing Ill move on to particles, fur, shading, lighting and all that in blender. :slight_smile:

Update of the day is coming soon.

Hey,
Here is what I sculpted today:

I have 3 more parts to go and Im done with sculpting. I never tough Id say that but I`m getting tired of it. XD

Comments & critiques/suggestions are welcome!
Cheers!

Very good job… It’s incredible to see how Zbrush can work with Blender. I hope that Cycles will reach the level of Vray one day…
Thanks to post your progress regularly, I will keep an eye on it.
Cheers!

Hey, thanks Leopold! I think cycles will get there soon, since it`s quite close already. :smiley:

This is excellent! But, I do not envy your poly count. Must be in the 5 millions? More?

Thank you Hansen, yes everything is at 9 mil in total but it runs like it`s 200k in blender, even lower.