Dorgok - the Human Deer

What horns should I go for?

Well on the VL one im only looking at the horns ( they take all viewers attention imo ) … other on the VR one where im “forced” to look in his face … i would go with this one ( my two cents )
Comes along very nicely Alin :slight_smile:

Thank you. :slight_smile:
I work more on the antlers (sorry for calling them horns so far lol) - I think it looks far better now and much more natural.
Also, I did 2 versions through layers: elk/deer and moose

I`m so undecided what to choose though… any suggestions? He needs to be a tough guy which looks more like a moose but also agile and elegant which makes him an elk…

I’d say go for the moose. It looks much more tougher and bigger and the elegnce can coem from the body.

Thank, but I think I found what I was searching for!

Irish Elk

Im now adapting the mesh to fit like in the new reference images and then Ill start working on some details. :smiley:

Im pretty much done. What do you think? I also did a bpr render for fun. :3 Tomorrow Ill work on the detailed sculpt.
Have a good night!

If you are still going the humanish way, I would go for the the thinner antlers. The thicker ones make me think of moose/elk too much.

Hmm… yes. Good point. Thanks! I was actually thinking on going for the thinner ones.

Anyway, here is the update. I joined the head with the ears and dynameshed it to work on some further details.
Ill still be playing with proportions after I retopo but Im sick of it right now - is so freaking hard to get it right. xD

Alright - school started here so the progress will be going slower from now but anyway.
This is the update: worked on some details like major muscles and so on.

Its been a while. I got to a new design - more warrior-ish. I decided to retopologize the tough model rather than the nomral deer model. I used z-remesher for get the base topology and now Ill tweak it a bit more in blender before projecting the details into zbrush and further play with proportions and add details.

Getting better each time :slight_smile:

Thank you mate! :slight_smile:

That’s so good AlinB! I think adding some sort of hot iron branding to the final design would be a nice touch, or war paint, something like that, right across one side of the face to help break up symmetry. Modeling phase is turning out excellent man!

Really cool idea, Ill consider that. I was thinking on scars but war paint could work too. Im still thinking anyway.
Thanks!

Update: I fixed the topology around the eye and mouth > UV unwrapping > imported back to zbrush > projected the details from the dynamesh sculpt > ready for real stuff now - detailed sculpting and polypainting.

i like your ‘cerf’(in french) but horn (antlers?) was never
symmetrical. nearly but not symmetrical

sorry for my terrible english…

Hey there,
Thanks farenthys, good point. Ill also make the antlers asym. In the mean time, I finished sculpting all the details on the bust. And Ill next switch to the antlers. :slight_smile:

And here is a color concept I tested:

Hey there,

In this update, I finished the antlers sculpted details.
Jumping up to polypaint soon. :slight_smile:

Comments, critiques or suggestions are as always welcome!

The sculpt is looking great!

Thank you Jonathan, btw I checked your tutorials blog - pretty neat stuff. :slight_smile:

This time, I worked on the antlers texture. Im pretty satisfied with the result but I kinda like the second (old) version colors even though the first (newest) version has more cavity details. So Ill have to tweak the lightness and the hue a bit more to get it right.

What do you think?