Your thoughts on signing 3D artwork.

I do both.

http://torywright.deviantart.com/gallery/

It’s just as difficult to light a 3D object as it is to paint highlights and shadow. This is because the effect is more important than visibility. Placement of lighting is as much an art as painting when you consider that the one placing the lights is trying to set a mood with it. Computers can’t do that yet. Photography is also an art that is immensely more difficult than it looks.

… akhmm…

“Image is created in a moment, rendered in camera. Photography is made in a darkroom, by an artist.”
You can apply same principal to any medium & tool of choice: word - literature, sound - music, form - figure, movement - dance, environment - architecture… An artist is not necessarily a master, and vice versa. They do not exclude each other. It used to be that most of things were made by hands, that’s all. Now we’ve come to understanding, one can create with mind.

Matter of signature in a work is matter of your ego, style & accession to be. It is natural tendency of self affirmation in being present & acknowledged in existence. Tagging (sign, making mark, leaving trail…) is shown from when cosmos come to exist. It’s in every aspect of life & form. It is “Light”.

Yes, for legal entity is necessity as your ID is.

Well at least he didn’t sign it like a douche.

I have to respectfully disagree. Creating with mind is a cop out to be lazy. That’s what art is all about, to extract and express what is in the mind.

At this point you’re just flamebaiting and trolling. GTFO.

Very cool. I checked out your work. That’s pretty unique stuff you’ve made.

I love how this guy, Jesus Conde, breaks down light and materials as a painter. I find this really admirable and highly skillful.

He also uses 3D as a base for his paintings like this

So far you’ve added very little constructive dialog and have been whining in this entire discussion. Grow a pair and learn to defend your point.

Sorry bud but your trolling attempt isn’t really working.

Let us make peace. I really don’t want to start a flame war. Let us agree to disagree, capisce?

What were you expecting to come out of this thread then?

Honestly…

my 2 cents

it really depends on WHERE you post the images

if i post a blender render HERE or like what i have been doing all week
renders of images from the asteroid ( small body) Ceres over on the Unmaned Space Flight website

i would NOT put a signature ( copyright ) on it

but

on Deviantart or fb or any other PUBLIC place yes put a sig on it

it really is up to the person and what THEY want and in the CONTEXT of the posting of the created image

In all honesty, I expected a good discussion on different points of views. That’s all.

What I don’t get is this.

If you don’t believe you’re being a real artist when you use a 3D program, and you want to see yourself as a real artist, then why in the world are you using Blender and engaging in discussion on a 3D forum?

If you’d rather use paint and canvas, then use them as your artistic medium and register on a community of traditional artists rather than heckling those who make use of 3D programs (which a community such as this will obviously defend as a viable medium).

I’m not against a signature. I’m talking about a hand signature, written with a wacom or something on an entirely 3D scene. That’s really what I started the thread for. I find it pompous to hand sign a 3D image in which you only used a mouse and keyboard, then pull out your tablet to hand sign it. That’s my argument above all.

If I went to a lakers fan club and posted about how much better the miami heat is than lakers I wouldn’t really expect a “good discussion”

You know to little to understand what “creation with mind” means. One aspect of it is intellectual property. West-side-boy should know such things. You probably don’t even understand a morphology of a book. Is a story an art? Does it exist only in a book? An art is interaction…

Yet also, one can control & command machinery with it’s mind nowadays. Or are you living in dark land of blind leading blind?!?

I never sign my work… it’s not of essence & truth that make work be.

No, thank you… maybe later.

He does very nice work. The same skill that one needs for rendering appealing forms in 2D is also needed for 3D. Modeling is somewhat like drawing in 3D. Edge flow is extremely important for nice forms. Rendering is difficult too in its own right. Though the calculations are topological, the effects are controlled by the artist. Animation is whole other topic in 3D art. There room for expression is infinitely more available. It’s not so much a question of whether artistry is occurring but in what aspect of the piece.

You’re doing way too much acid.

No.
Yet i predict you. As simple as you are in your material manifestation, dear kid. Learn.
Goodbye.

See, for you destiny is. You have no choice. :wink:

I know that traditional artists often feel powerless and envious when they see great artworks made using digital media as tool, and their reaction is often belittle those jobs… My advice is then, learn about digital media and you will be even better artist.
For me a very good 3D artist is a complex and complete artist. He/she must know how to draw/paint, modeling/sculpting, photography concepts, color spaces and lighting. Plus many technical details about digital image concepts.

I did not even consider myself an artist, but that does not stop me realize about the effort, study, knowledge and talent required to be a very good artist using computers and digital media.

Edit:
Just in case I clarify because this could be misunderstood: “you will be even better artist”. I said this within the meaning that this traditional artists will be more complex, having more knowledge and a broader new horizon of possibilities.