YafaRay 0.1.5 for Blender 2.67 released

That seems like horrible topology to me

yes, but the visible artefacts are extreme
no other render engine have problems with this

Looks like a precision issue, may have something to do with the scale you are modeling at and the ray epsilon that Yafaray uses. Other renderers (including Cycles) have the same problem, it may just not have occured to you.

Last post in June. Well that’s me: A dollar short and a day late.

I like to dabble in animation without tying up the one machine I have up and running for days on end. And, for that of course Blender Internal can’t be beat. However, BI doesn’t have caustics. Enter YafaRay with Direct Ltg. and Caustics.

For those who haven’t tried it think of something halfway between a ray tracer and BI but with render times short enough to tolerate. Although the enclosed WIP render is 3:50, a obscene time compared to BI, I will use it for this project where caustics are front and center. By the way Direct Ltg. with Caustics goes in passes so this time is where I stopped it.

For a hobbyist working at home animation is full of tradeoffs. Aliasing, hard shadows, etc. But, for my target audience this will be just fine. Since I can probably copy and paste 150 frames in this little effort I might even let the renderer run for 14 passes or so. Regardless I find YafaRay a welcome tool for some projects. And, the developer is still committed and working with a buddy on a regular basis.

Well, I prefer Yafaray also (SPPM render), but side effect is that you see noise and antialiasing issues too easily almost every Cycles renders, and shake your head and think, is that noise new trend of renders.