YafaRay 0.1.5 for Blender 2.67 released

Okay, I’ll take your word for it that it somehow isn’t physically correct, but then what am I looking at here?

Nice comparison. In my opinion cycles win both in picture quality and render time. The desk lamp and metal in general seems more believable in cycles.

The texturing for floor and cupboard seems different though. Is that because of different material systems?

The problem with those comparisons are that Cycles is rendering on the GPU. While this might work for the simple scene, you will quickly fill up the gpu ram when you have big texture scenes. For this reason I don’t trust using GPU renderers, and that renderfarms almost never have GPU ready slaves (at least not where I work).
I would like to see a larger scene that has a lot of textures, and massive amount of geometry. Then do the comparison.

regards
stefan

Waiting for a 32 gb video card by Nvidia… 300 € max :slight_smile:

True that. I too run out of GPU memory (2Gb) when rendering some architectural visualization scenes in Cycles, especially when there are particle systems for grass involved. Though Titan with it`s 6Gb of vRAM is just fine for moderately sized projects. Also compositing could work quite well together with rendering different parts of the project and then putting them together.

You are welcome to try this build:- http://www.graphicall.org/1019

It is not an official release, so any problems you find may be my fault and may not be the responsibility of the Yafaray development team.

It is compiled on Ubuntu 12.04.

Thanks for the build, though it didn’t work for me. I’m on CentOS 6.4.

Here is the error code,

ERROR: Failed to load library libyafaraycore.so, OSError("/lib64/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /home/sanders/Applications/blender-2.67-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.67/scripts/addons/yafaray/bin/libyafaraycore.so)",)
ERROR: Failed to load library libyafarayplugin.so, OSError('libyafaraycore.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory',)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/sanders/Applications/blender-2.67-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.67/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py", line 269, in enable
    mod = __import__(module_name)
  File "/home/sanders/Applications/blender-2.67-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.67/scripts/addons/yafaray/__init__.py", line 80, in <module>
    from . import io
  File "/home/sanders/Applications/blender-2.67-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.67/scripts/addons/yafaray/io/__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
    import yafrayinterface
  File "/home/sanders/Applications/blender-2.67-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.67/scripts/addons/yafaray/bin/yafrayinterface.py", line 26, in <module>
    _yafrayinterface = swig_import_helper()
  File "/home/sanders/Applications/blender-2.67-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.67/scripts/addons/yafaray/bin/yafrayinterface.py", line 22, in swig_import_helper
    _mod = imp.load_module('_yafrayinterface', fp, pathname, description)
  File "/home/sanders/Applications/blender-2.67-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.67/python/lib/python3.3/imp.py", line 164, in load_module
    return load_dynamic(name, filename, file)
ImportError: libyafaraycore.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

best regards
stefan andersson

I’m afraid I can’t help you directly as I have no experience with CentOS, but I would guess the problem is the libc version:-

GLIBC_2.15’ not found (required by /home/sanders/Applications/blender-2.67-linux-glibc211-x86

I believe CentOS 6.4 has 2.12 ?

CentOS has 2.12. Reason why we run CentOS is that it’s more or less a standard (due to Autodesk/Foundry). And I prefer it since we can use the old Gnome2 :slight_smile:
Anyhow, I’ll see if I can figure out how to compile it myself.

regards
stefan

Compiling is usually pretty straightforward. There is a guide here:- http://www.yafaray.org/node/434
Obviously it is not recent, so some of the version numbers will be out of date. Currently Python3.3 is recommended(it must be the same version used to compile Blender).

Hi
win7_64

If i put yafaray folder addon inside programfiles\blenderfoundation… yafa render ok
but
when i use \user\AppData\Roaming\BlenderFoundation yafa addon isnt recognized and blender crash

any help is welcome

note:
great release, photon mapping is great ! ty

Release Notes WIP

http://www.yafaray.org/development/documentation/015releasenotes

i’m having a problem, when i add a material, blender crash

@Alvaro. Nice list.
It seems to me like there is a little more push from the developers of Yaf lately?
Do the Yaf team have any official plans for 0.16?

the plan is to release SSS and irradiance cache for yafaray 0.2.0

Very nice.
Looking very forward to test IC.
Shoulder clap :slight_smile:

Hm… yafaray is still buggy…
you can test it with attached file.
This is a imported part and most of my files look like this.

previously only 64 bit had this issue.
now both 32 & 64 bit have the same issue.

I am surprised that nobody else see it.

Attachments

yafaray_bug.blend (124 KB)

That seems like horrible topology to me (though it shouldn’t break even if it is). Does it still happen if you put on a triangulate modifier?

And for that you can use a render farms that offer GPU rendering and it works great and they are very affordable!

Killer could or would be in case Yafaray would be faster for a certain scene to convert the Cycles world / material settings into Yafaray and simply select Y as the renderer.