xrg's 3D sketchbook (low-poly is best poly)

@michalis - Thanks man. :slight_smile:

@SaintHaven - Not really. Other than fooling around that head is only like my 3rd sculpt ever. I typically prefer to dabble in whimsical low-poly stuff.

lol for recommending Zbrush?

You can do some pretty fun and whimsical things with zbrush as well (Theres a dragon ball z thread on zbrush central worth checking out). Shadowbox will let you paint a mask and create geometry based on that mask. There is even low poly modeling inside it as well. The paint tools and alpha system is great as well.

Anyways just curious because thats a solid sculpt you did.

Other than fooling around that head is only like my 3rd sculpt ever.

Really?
Well, go for it. Sculpt more. You’re skilled enough. Blender is a fine sculpting tool. Dyntopo to retopo to multires to shrink-wrapping.

Oh wow, this is pure awesome (How come I never saw this before)

Awesome stuff. Love the painting video, it’s very helpful :slight_smile:

Excellent sculpt!:yes:
2d is more difficult than 3d.
So with your natural skills it’s not a suprise that you sculpt so well.

2d is more difficult than 3d.

I love it, I’m not alone
 at last, someone posted it.
2d is 3x more difficult, indeed so. We may start another topic about it.

You can do this and you’re saying you want to see me do a video?! I’m beginning to suspect my nagging has something to do with it :stuck_out_tongue:

On a more serious note, nice sculpt man. I highly doubt I could “just fool around” and get something of that level in Blender. FWIW, Blender’s sculpting does have some holes, but it is more than sufficient for playing around. The Dyntopo, retopo, multires, shrinkwrap, & bake formula is actually pretty workable for most stuff I do.

ZBrush is very good, not arguments there
 but it’s another alien interface to learn which might be quite frustrating (& expensive) for just the occasional sculpting goof-off :slight_smile:

Haha, I was just messing with you about the PMs. I think there are at least a zillion sculpt tutorials out there already.

Aquamentus from the original Legend of Zelda

I’m still impressed by the quality of your texturing skill, they bring lots of life to the low poly models.
And your talent with 2D serves you well even for 3D, that sculpt is superb

Great works!:yes:
There’s a link to one of your video on blendernation!congratulations!

very nice!

Inspiring work xrg, I saw your texturing video and I had no idea you could of painted directly unto the uv maps within blender. Brilliant!

Zbrush is nice for the Zrmesher though
 :evilgrin: Sorry
 I just got it yesterday
still a little excited :slight_smile:

hey xrg
how did you get that texture painting icons on blender?

Ah, that explains the mysterious increase of YouTube subscribers last night. Thanks whoever submitted that or whatever.

Do you mean the brushes? You can get them off my github here (just click the download zip button on the right-side). To use them watch the latter part of this video.

OH
WOW.you replied fast! Thanks :smiley: I used to do the texture painting on photoshop, now I might try using blender for texture painting :stuck_out_tongue: btw,

you know what
I really enjoyed the timelapse of the wood and axe texture painting :smiley: I learned that good blending isn’t about smudging, it’s changing the values, and opacity :smiley: I love the detail, also when you put grass on the lower part of the wood
and those white scratchy edges for a worned-out feel

Can we have more of this? I am part of a team making a game on unity, and all the assets will be made in blender.
My team decided to make the textures handpainted. and I want to learn more of your techniques and your workflow :smiley:
I’ll be the one who will make most of the environment art, so your timelapse videos are very helpful
or would you share any useful links on hand-painted style texturing?

I plan on doing more videos when I get some time, and probably after the GSoC dust settles a bit since Psy-Fi is improving Texture Paint a lot. Hopefully they’ll have audio, so I can explain why I choose colors and other things that are difficult to explain in text annotations.

It’s pretty much just painting though. You can try exercises like material spheres to practice painting various types of material.