WWI Historic Warplane - Fokker DR.I - Manfred von Richthofen Version - WIP

did you also do med high res the engine or only low res?

I already did a radial 9 piston engine might be the same one !

do you have a nice pic for this radial engine

happy bl

Here is an image of a Le Rhone Rotary Engine. My model is not 100% percent exact, so go off of this. It is a 9C, so it has a few minor differences. Same general thing, though.

looks a lot like the one I did for the Bleriot !

where are you with your model ?

thanks

It is UV-Unwrapped and almost complete. I need to add machine guns and some cockpit things, and after that should be almost done.

Just check my MG-08 looking good

show us results

happy bl

are the wing wavy or not ?
some models seems to show it others not ?
see
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/1/5/8/1960851.jpg
happy bl

I think that if it is a cloth-based replica, that it would be like that. A fiberglass/metal one would be less likely to have that effect. I will have to add that to my model :eyebrowlift:

probably right here
you mean that some modern version have use metal covering instead of cloth like the original one!
that is not really an historical reproduction !
more like an improve boosted version probably with some super engine too!LOL

thanks

Yeah, the same ones with the fixed place radial engines, instead of the rotary engines, so they are easier to fly. To be historically correct I will have to change my model.

Shoot, double post number two . . .

The evolution of engine from radial to normal in line or modern radial is very strange !
but there was no PC at the time so that must have been difficult !

happy bl

UPDATE: After a busy weekend, I have returned to my Fokker DR.I project, and I have done some minor work on it already. I have rendered a new front view with paint and cloth layers on opposite sides. I have not finished my machine-gun models yet, but I will be adding them in the near future, as well as the cockpit extras, including dashboard and seat, and controls.

need some work on the wing tip
see sharp point

prop need s also a better wood texture I think
did not see much original pic for this
color pic where rare at the time !

just saw the wing between the wheel
wow so this was not really a 3 wings more like 4 wings plane!

keep it up

happy bl

Yeah, still the original wood texture, my procedural one is not finished yet. Working on it though! I also changed the cloth material to twice the scale, so that will look better. I’ll work on the wingtips a little more, too. Thank you for the input, always welcome!

Duuuude! That’s some badass patience and modeling! Nice Work!

Thank you! The fact that people take an interest helps keep me motivated!

UPDATE:
I am working on getting the cockpit work done, and making a procedural wood material.

Nothing wrong with image based textures… I know that procedural wood is easier to apply, but I haven’t seen any really convincing procedural wood out there. It’d be a pity to spoil such a good model with a sub-par texturing job.

Good point, I will see how it turns out. Most of the wooden objects are fairly easy to unwrap, so I may end up just getting a better texture. I will see if I can make the procedural one work first, though. Thank you for your input!

UPDATE: I am almost done with the machine-guns, and will be working on the instruments and controls later on.

here is a wood text I did for prop

a little low res
but has a good wood grain!

show us your gun

happy bl

I’m working on it! Should be able to cook something up real quick . . .