WWI Historic Warplane - Fokker DR.I - Manfred von Richthofen Version - WIP

Great job so far, can’t wait to see what it looks like when it’s fully finished.

What the original and historically accurate replicas use are a cloth base with glossy paint over them. Right now I have one of my Car-paint materials on it, which really is not accurate. However, that is not necessarily my goal. I will work on the materials once I have a good scene for this, because they will vary greatly depending on if it is an interior scene in a museum, or it is is in the air flying. Right now I am leaning towards a museum scene, that way I can have it broken down into several parts, have an engine on a stand, half of the wing skins off, etc. Do you think that that would work well? Any ideas as far as that?

Thank you for your helpful advice and dedication to this thread.

DOUBLE POST

Ooops . . .

I have a render of the Bleriot with cloth but still low sample
if you want to see it let me know and I did it with a sky map

I guess there are many different scenes you can do depending how you what to show it
including the environment !

Elub did a file for cloth mat in cycles

happy cl

Sure! May spark my creativity and give me some ideas. I am thinking of completely changing it, and going for a plain canvas material on half of it, and using it as a centerpiece in an architectural render. I can do other versions as well, just some thoughts.

so here is one render
I trying to get it with a sky map but having some issues will show it later on

if you zoom in you can see cloth
might be a little too big may be!

here is one with an angular map in cycles

happy cl

Looks cool! I’ll try and get that material fixed. One thing I noticed on your model, is the landing gear is extremely close together, which would make this an extremely dangerous machine to have to get back on the ground. Might want to look into that . . .

checking old pics for it and your right wheel base should be larger !LOL

I had to port this from one of the first model I did in beginning of 2.5
I was still a big noobie and made a lot of mistakes at the time
but with time you learn more and more I guess!

I corrected it a little
still trying to re figure how to make sky map work in cycles

thanks

Thank you! I’m working on it :wink:

UPDATE: I am making good progress on the canvas material, 100% procedural in Blender Cycles. All I need to do now is properly unwrap the various parts!

Click for the full size. (And yes, I know about those weird artifacts on the fuselage, I need to UV-Unwrap it)

if you use the link I gave to u no this is pure proc texture!

you could try to separate top and bottom 2 mat
may have less artifacts

looking nice

happy cl

added pic with angular map in cycles
see post 26

happy bl

That is an excellent idea!

BTW, I didn’t use the material link you gave because, I really like to do it all myself. There is a little more satisfaction :wink:
Besides, it really wasn’t that hard.

Here is my current node setup for the cloth:

BTW, nice environment mapping! Looks good!

do u have sample file for this mat ?

the mat from elub is more or less transparent too!
don’t know about yours!
but depends what you need too

happy bl

Yes, between the strands is transparent. If you look closely in the picture, you can faintly see the ribs and main structure, especially on the wings and ailerons.

size might be a bit high !

try to see if you can some good proc wood texture

happy bl

That’s next on the list :wink: And when I UV-unwrapped it, I made sure to make it a tad smaller. Thank you for keeping up with this thread, your input has been a great help!

Procedural wood should be pretty easy right (:no:)
I’ll figure out something anyways. I am also working on developing the scene. See how that turns out :eyebrowlift2:

which engine did he use the radial one or the inline ?

i’ll try to make a model too but not with all the inside wings like you did!

happy bl

I think they only used the radial Le Rhone engine,
except for serials
108/17 - 118 kW (160 hp) Goebel Goe. III
469/17 - 108 kW (145 hp) Oberursal Ur. III
Another plane used the Siemens-Halske Sh.III bi-rotary engine, I don’t know the serial for that one.