[WIP] Re-creation of Ralph McQuarrie's "TIE fighter vs X-Wing fighter"

Very nice and impressive level of details!

Could you explain on how you modeled the plates and how you did the alignment to the concave structure?
I personally never did this kind of modeling and would be very interested in the modeling technique.

Wow that TIE Fighter is badass! Nice render bro

This is terrific. Can’t wait to see the finished image.

Steve S

I’m glad you like it so far :slight_smile:

ipreza09 : maybe, not really. It’s classified. lol hey man congrats on winning the bg comp AND getting on the feature row. very nice work!

darude-sandstorm:
the plates are using a simple array modifier with object offset:
(note that all origins should be in the middle)

The crevasis creation process is also quite simple. This is how I did it:

1. Cut shapes onto your mesh using either
    a) cut tool(hotkey K).

or b) boolean modifier and then apply it

(advanced tip: if using a large boolean object, not slim stripes like in my example, after b), before applying it, duplicate the ball or whatever and change boolean operation to intersect. Now apply the boolean modifiers from both objects, merge the objects into one, go to edit mode, select all vertices and remove doubles.)

Im continuing the guide on next post because you can only have 3 images/post :stuck_out_tongue:

1. If you used b), then select the loops (alt click) and bridge edge loops (ctrl + e) to get rid of the holes.

now select the faces where you want the crevices to be, extrude by pressing e, then press alt + s to make the crevices as deep as you want

Now what’s left to do is cleaning the mesh by hand by fixing bizarre ngons and merging vertices that are really close to eachother and thus affecting the smoothed normals in a bad way.

That’s basically how to make them. I hope this helped :slight_smile:

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I will test it on Monday. I am really curious what kind of structures I can create with these technique.

Thanks for the tips

This project looks great! You, sir, have skills.

I do however have one small, very nit-picky, criticism to make. The “air-scoops” on the x-wing aren’t correct, infact, they aren’t even scoops. According to the cross-section books the scoops on the front of the engines are retro-thrusters (brakes). here’s a link for you: http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_krsej21JrY1qzyhb5o1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJP67HANH6OVWEMMQ&Expires=1413265561&Signature=lqVXwewZjciSdmnGbOZZPEMVn0M%3D#=

intricate details! I love details. I think everyone does, ha. Great job.

Continuing with the texturing… I might turn down the weathering effect a little

Hey no problem at all guys. If you want to ask about anything else, I’ll be more than happy to answer, in limits of my knowledge.

JazzMann: Oh, so they’re not intakes at all? If I understood correctly, they are there to push in the direction of movement (forward) and thus slowing down the speed of the aircraft, is this right? If yes, then it all makes sense now :eek: