[WIP] Re-creation of Ralph McQuarrie's "TIE fighter vs X-Wing fighter"

The details on your Tie Fighter are VEEERY good. That’s also one of my favourites spaceships. “Impressive, very impressive but you’re not a Jedi yet!” (just kidding, you’re almost a Jedi).

Love the detail. We could all take a lesson from your posts.

insert imperial march here

peter18 and pmkensmoe thank you for your encouraging feedback :slight_smile:
SOL_33 thanks and since you brought the TIE fighter up, decided to finish it. It’s already got way enough detail to be even seen on the final render but what the hell, it was nice practise for me :wink:

1 Like

I love your work. I’d also like to see a wireframe image of your work. Currently I’m doing a re-imagined Assault Gunboat from the Star Wars video game series. Some modeling pointers would definitely be helpful.

okay, I’m going the cheap way with creating some details
“array modifiers, array modifiers everywhere” lol

rhettro oh thanks :o On which part would you want to see them, bcoz I dont know any proper way to render wireframes out and I dont feel like turning “draw wire” on with all the meshes. I cant find any wip threads with your assault gunboat sp maybe you’d like to start one and people would be able to give you tips directly there :eyebrowlift2:

1 Like

Just save an OpenGL render from that button at the bottom of the 3D view window.

Your array modifiers look great. :slight_smile: Thank you for replying back to me. I’d be especially interested to see a wireframe view of the nose. I wasn’t looking for a render exactly, just a screen grab of your model in wireframe view. I haven’t posted a thread on my Assault Gunboat as it is still in the embryonic stages and I am still quite the Blender noob. Unlike your model it will be a low poly game asset for a Star Wars mod. You can follow my post I made there at http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85097.0

Here’s the nose you wanted :slight_smile: to achieve the smooth edges I used a bevel modifier with 2 segments and a subsurf on top of that.

Also I took a look at your space ship model and I have a couple thoughts on it:

1. You should think what details are seen in the game itself. If there’s a spot that isn’t going to been seen inside the game, don’t put polygons there because game models are all about optimization. Also a lot of detail can be faked with textures.(If your technique is to make a high poly model and then bake it on a low poly, then forget what I said)
  2. You might want trying an actual game engine to see what the model will look. I’m not an expert on rendering engines, but I think a game engine has a different way of dealing with edges…(?)
1 Like

Thank you for your advice.

Here comes the mighty X Wing on steroids lol :smiley:

haha I thought it looked kinda cool and funny so decided to share it with you guys!
At the moment I’m focusing on the small details on the hull so if you want to see the REAL progress I advice you to zoom in

I was just wondering, if anyone knows, what are the rotors on the engines for? I mean in real life planes they’re for compressing air for the fuel to burn, right? The X wing operates in space and there’s no air to compress. So what in the world (or the universe lol) does it have them for?

I’m enjoying your progress. Keep it up.

The X-Wing does fly in atmosphere.

Hi again!
Today I rendered the two fighters together to see what the final composition will look like. The TIE’s allignment still needs some tweaking but here is the current progress: Hope you enjoy!

and a link to the 4k version: Click here

Looks really good! Waiting for the fully textured version. Should look epic.

awesome! That is all…

Long time no seen mrs X-wing and mr TIE

Not much new stuff done than new way in making the plate seams and also added the pilot.

The main point of this post is this:
I happened to be playing with the openGL renders in Photoshop. The colors and style in the result looked really familiar, but couldn’t point a finger on what. (If you happen to know what I’m trying to remember, please remind me;) ) Anyways, it looked nice so I wanted to share it with you guys!

Started giving the TIE fighter some materials and testing post processing:

all textures are procedural

“All textures are procedural” Are you a wizard!? Looking epic.

really beautiful work, I am stunned at the amazing quality.

My original star wars comic book had this color style. Takes me waaaaaaay back. Beautiful work.