Windows 10; Is the tide turning into praise?

Right now I am looking at long term options and ramifications. First I have no doubt that that built in malware/spyware in windows ten will lead to a new generation of privacy breeches as some cleaver code monkeys with questionable ethics, hygiene and social graces tear it apart and do what they do best with it.

Next, Quite frankly. I don’t trust Microsoft. And in a world wear IP ( intellectual property) is becoming exponentially more and more valuable the thought of having layers of securty around mine thinned does not give me a happy feeling. Actually it gives me a kinda creep-ed out feeling. Besides with my windows ten install, Right now I’m looking at network traffic when I push files onto and off of the machine via thumb drive.

<edit> As for paying for windows, I have no problem with that, Pirated versions are rift with malware.

One of the main points is the inconvenient fact (for those who believe in ‘punishing’ companies by pirating their products) that piracy has been a major issue even before the days of DRM and user tracking (and good for you for taking the ethical route of paying for software with an asking price).

–A company makes a product with DRM and tracking features, it gets pirated under the guise of executing justice.
–A company makes a product with no DRM and respects privacy, it gets pirated just as much if not even more.

People will complain about pricing and ‘greed’ no matter what a software vendor does, it’s one of those no-win situations and that segment is a group whom you’re better off just ignoring.

You know opening someone else’s mail is a federal crime, but apparently collecting the contents of someone else’s email is perfectly acceptable because they should have nothing to hide.

Believe it or not the president of the United States Barack Obama isn’t even allowed to have an iPhone due to security concerns and my guess is that the DoD uses Linux.

By the way US Government Caught Pirating Military Software Settles for $50 Million

Well, My point is this, I need a device where I can do my blender stuff, And where I can sit down and work on other projects, And not be in fear of inadvertently breaking an NDA. I mean hell, I have no issue if need be of keeping a work machine off of the internet to keep the data safe, Actually I do that already, But I am looking at the long picture, And quite frankly IF I don’t have the expectation of privicy on a platform, Then I won’t use it. Now IF they wish to make another paid version in a few more years that I can use for my next generation machine I’ll drop my half a K there to get that edition.

hypocrisy at it’s finest.

Here’s an interesting one: Former FBI Special Agent Indicted for Theft of Drug Proceeds and Obstruction of Justice

Obviously the FBI is not in the business of this sort, but that does not mean all of their employees are on the up and up. If my emails are collected by Microsoft what assurance do I have that a Microsoft employee, or an employee of god knows who they’re selling it to, isn’t copying down my account numbers, social security numbers, usernames and passwords for their own personal gain.

If you’re not doing anything wrong you have nothing to hide right?

@Joe: Maybe look into Windows 10 enterprise edition. Let us know what you find out, I’m curious.

I’m thinking windows 10 is another vista and ME, I’ll just wait for the next one to come out. Right now my windows 7, and my server2012 are doing just fine for what I need. I’ve toyed with windows 10 enough to know that it will not give me what I need, And yea sure for a gaming machine it will do alright, But I have a rig i’m working on and I’m trying to sort out a bandwith loss in a pcie extender I’m working on.

Atr1337; It would be nice if you could, for once, not be tempted to gravitate into politics like you often do. This thread is mainly about the feedback surrounding Windows 10.

Also, bad news for the haters and the people hoping for that elusive ‘year of Linux’. Windows 10 by the end of July got installed on over 60 million PC’s and is probably a lot higher right now.

It becomes an imperative at this point for Microsoft to fix and optimize the things not working well as it is supposed to be their last major version and they would otherwise be buried under a tsunami of complaints.

Who’s talking about politics? Everything I said was about Windows 10 and Microsoft’s new privacy policy. Equating it to something a government did does not constitute politics.

Political discussion is banned here because people differ so greatly on political issues and the debate tends to get heated, whether or not a corrupt FBI agent imbezzeled drug money or whether or not the US military pirated software are not political issues, there’s nothing to debate those are facts, not debatable issues.

Ya know, Can we pretend the mods here have a real life, I know some of them have their issues, But ya know. Lets focus this energy on doing art rather then searching for loopholes in the forum rules.

That is an alarmingly good point. Back to the void I go…

I was amazed how when windows 10 came out, many people eagerly downloaded and installed it at the first possible opportunity, without even questioning what they were getting into. Personally, I think I will skip windows 10, since my current version ( 8.1 ) is more intrusive that I would like already.

8.1 works great for me, why upgrade?

it sounds like a giant pain that will end with me losing all my files.

@Joe: There’s no finding loopholes, I have my opinion like anyone else and I gave it. There’s no jury here, if the mods wanted to lock the thread there’s nothing stopping them from doing so.

@Ace: Regardless of whether the references I made fall squarely within the rules or not I feel that I made my point. Not that making that point here is worth much in the grand scheme of things. People may or may not widely adopt Windows 10 and whatever happens in that regard likely has very little to do with your or my opinions on the subject.

Nonetheless I believe there are serious repercussions to the precedents being set with Windows 10. You can keep me from posting it on your thread, but you cannot stop it from being true.

I am a firm believer in “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” and the Windows 10 push irks me. For 99% of users, the Windows 10 update is going to:

• Cause issues
  • Disrupt a good system
  • Force people to relearn how to use their compter (which isn’t a bad thing I suppose)

Of those people most would probably be happy with windows 7 for, well, forever. I ran Ubuntu 10:10 for years. Some computers have uptimes of over 8 years! If you want stability: get a system that works and don’t change it. There’s really nothing else to it.

Possible Conflict of interest: I am a linux user

On my smartphone, I disable auto-update on all my apps. If they’re working, I don’t care about the update. If isn’t working, I’ll uninstall it and find one that works.
Same with software. When I’m on Windows, I try to keep all the updates turned off. Adobe always seems to want to update, Same for java (till you shut them up).
Even Linux, I don’t care. I run Arch LInux, a rolling release so that everyone can have the latest package. Do I care about having the latest package? Nope. I use it because it uses 500mb of ram when I’m booted and running. (Even Ubuntu ate up 1.3gB)

As a result, I am not very keen to update my Windows’s to Windows 10. I tried the developer preview a couple months ago, and it caused several problems. Things have changed since then, but I’m still not sure.

Here’s my suggestion for people with computers:

1. Figure out what you use them for
  2. Get them doing what you use them for and don’t change it unless neccessary
  3. All updates do is consume bandwidth and introduce problems.
    Windows 10 auto-updates? To me they are just a headache inducer.

As for the privacy issues, meh, I never do anything on my windows machine. Even on my Linux machine, eveything important is stored in my head or on papre. Maybe I’m just old-fashioned, but I believe that important stuff must be physical. Antying else is susceptable to examination, or accidental erasure. Virtual things are fragile, often only a couple of bits away from corruption. If the internet went down tomorrow, would I care? Maybe. I suspect I’d actually be rather glad as I’d have less distraction from working on stuff I enjoy, such as robotics, metal/wood working, drawing etc.

Meh, I give up on computers for today. Time for a good old fashioned book.

I think you meant to say
For 99% of users, the Windows 10 update is going to:

• Not cause issues
  • Not disrupt a good system
  • Not force people to relearn how to use their computer (which is a good thing)
    Win10 is a blend of Win7 and 8.1. If you’re using either for most people it’ll be pretty straightforward to understand Win10. While there may be some edge cases, for most real Windows users there is little to worry about.

Same here for the most part, I really don’t have anything to hide, I don’t even have a bank account, but I’m thinking more of the billions of people that do have things they’d rather keep to themselves. A company that commands all of this type of information has too much power. The power to blackmail senators, government officials and business leaders. They’ll have account numbers and passwords, they can shut down another businesses website or cancel their credit cards in a bid to strong arm them into caving to their every whim.

This is not at all unprecedented, think JD Rockefeller and JP Morgan all over again.

Back in 2000 the CIA commissioned a report on what the world might be like in 2015.

“International affairs are increasingly determined by large and powerful organizations rather than governments.”.

@Modron If I’ve heard correctly, there are no plans for a Windows 11. It’ll all just be updates from here on out.

well, I guess I could always switch to Linux if my OS becomes obsolete.

At least Krita will run well.