Windows 10; Is the tide turning into praise?

They also did not have large-scale services (that cost millions to run) for free either like Facebook and Twitter, and how many of them gave away so much as a few thousand copies of their product for free? That is not to mention the complete lack of computing devices. Back then, people were happy to pay for every product and every service that they wanted.

Apples and Oranges. I also don’t think Microsoft has people sitting at desks reading people’s emails and thinking up ways to screw that person over (more likely it would be for law enforcement and homeland security purposes).

I think it’ll be a nightmare for MS in the long run. Apparently the NSA had problems with employees using their spy software to spy on their x girlfriends and spouses. Obviously that wasn’t NSA policy, but that’s just what happens when you give tools like these to people. The same thing will happen at Microsoft and it’ll become an issue when someone stalks and murders their ex and his/her new lover.

I think Microsoft is going the same route like Google and Facebook, advertising $$$ revenue, personalized ads (our information sent to microsoft) are better than a lot of ads with no direction or target. So money is money…nothing is free, they know what they are going, a Solitaire game is not free anymore, and there will be a lot of people that will pay monthly to play solitaire…that’s is just the beginning :wink: and getting windows 10 pro for free is nice too jajaja,

Hey if this is what people want then so be it. Me, I’ll just go on record as saying I foresee extremely bad things happening as a result of this.

As for the Windows Update, just turn it off and you will be fine. I disabled Windows Update since I bought my PC and I encountered no problems.

Unfortunately the entirety of this generation consists of self-entitled ignorants. These people think that everything should be given to them, like somebody owes them simply because they were born. This is also the very same lot that don’t understand or care why we need privacy. Of course, I can’t say I’m much better as I sit here on a Blender forum and having used Krita and GIMP instead of just purchasing Photoshop.

Quite a generalization there. Today’s generation has a larger share of people who think they are entitled to get a large number of things, but there’s still a good chunk who see the value of premium software (and if not, see the value of at least helping to fund the development of the Open Source software they like to use).

Of course, I can’t say I’m much better as I sit here on a Blender forum and having used Krita and GIMP instead of just purchasing Photoshop.

Why not donate to the development funds of Krita and Blender then, it’s only because of having tens of thousands in development money that they have even gotten this far in terms of quality and power.

As for privacy, as long as Microsoft doesn’t start to claim ownership over your own files then I don’t see what the major deal is. If you don’t have anything to hide (such as pirated movie files and documents on how to rob banks), then there’s not so much to worry about.

Tell that to the early Christians in Rome or the Jews in Nazi Germany.

Things are the way they are now, but you assume they will always remain that way. Really we are creating the tools necessary for the disastrous rise of the next ruthless and insane tyrant.

It’s like playing with matches in a run down leaky rocket fuel factory. The United States is literally the worst possible place to create tools like these. This future tyrant will have access to the worlds most powerful military, the worlds largest stockpile of nuclear delivery systems, the worlds most sophisticated spying mechanisms and the worlds most advanced cyber warfare capabilities. It’s not a question of if, it’s a question of when.

the notion of MS
Scanning your hard disk for pirated files seems incredibly ridiculous.

1.How? How would they do that? As of now they just read text, microphones.calendars,etc but not files.
2.Why? For what purpose? It’s like making the default wallpaper have a text written (“GO TO LINUX”)

Indeed, “Entirety” but not be a completely accurate word in this case, but I think it got across my point just fine. These people are half the reason I dropped out of school. To give you a little perspective here, I had a peer who, when discussing privacy issues in class, stated that he didn’t understand why people care about privacy intrusions. The government loves people like him. Don’t mistake my views on this as a form of disdain or a sense of superiority though, simply a segregation of ideas.
As for donations, I’ve been thinking about doing it for a while now, but it’s only been pretty recently that I could actually afford to donate anything considerable.
On a final note, “If you don’t have anything to hide” is a very, very dangerous way of thinking. I would suggest revising that idea in the future. Just keep in mind that it works both ways: if the government is doing nothing wrong, than it has nothing to hide either.

I know some code monkeys are going to be going over this with a fine tooth comb. So I look for some break-thoughs in malware and torrents for a privacy ensured crack of windows 10 to be a topic of discussion later.

Stuff like this is exactly why such EULA’s exist today.

Truth be told, there are large groups of people out there who don’t believe in paying for software period, instead they just pirate everything regardless of whether said software has any DRM and regardless of any privacy policy.

If you don’t want to pay for software, that is what FOSS is for. Don’t force companies to clamp down on the software ownership part for commercial users because of the belief that paying is for squares. This is a contributing reason why companies are looking to ad-supported models, so as to make up for revenue that’s no longer possible because of the ‘free’ culture.

Also, atr1337; I know you love to go into tangents diving into politics but this forum isn’t the place for that.

@ace

Truth be told, there are large groups of people out there who don’t believe in paying for software period, instead they just pirate everything regardless of whether said software has any DRM and regardless of any privacy policy.

If you don’t want to pay for software, that is what FOSS is for. Don’t force companies to clamp down on the software ownership part for commercial users because of the belief that paying is for squares.

Remember the kind of people you are talking to,
the kind that would shamelessly pirate something that company worked on for years and then simultaneously condemn said company then call them greedy.

I paid for my Windows and they are “greedy”.
Windows 10 does suck. It has more stuff you do not need or want and you have less control over it. I can complain because I have to buy it I need it. Microsoft has little concern for what we need or want or we would have more options with it not less. The dollar is the bottom line for Microsoft and that is a fact.

@Kaz

Microsoft is a business,

thing is,
businesses are there to make money.
So of courses the dollar is their bottom line
what else would it be
every company’s bottom line is money.

I must assume that enterprise edition does not have all the tracking mechanisms built in since corporations are so protective of their secrets. I wonder, is it possible for a consumer to purchase and install enterprise edition and if so how much would it cost?

it’s possible

Does anyone know if Enterprise edition has a different privacy policy? I just assume the tracking mechanisms and ads are not present in Enterprise edition because it’s not free and it seems like those would be deal breakers for a corporation.

presumably not.
It would be a very obvious giveaway

Not sure what you mean, I mean all the corporations I worked for had those disclaimers at the bottom of their emails instructing the recipient to delete the message and not disclose the contents if they were not the intended recipients. Seems like no corporation would upgrade to Windows 10 if their emails would no longer be private.

P.S. Maybe if the average consumer put a legal disclaimer at the bottom of their emails stating that reading the email constitutes the recipients agreement to the senders terms which are that the reader must not disclose the contents to any other party and must delete the message if they are not the intended recipient. Then they could sue Microsoft of they disclosed the message to any third parties.

P.P.S. What about national security organizations and defense contractors? You can’t tell me that Lockheed Martin and the CIA are okay with Microsoft’s new privacy policy.