willettfx Sketchbook

Playing around with tonight …Learning modeling or trying to, Mech concept in the rough,What do you think?

Mech leg

Looking good for early stages - later when you plan out the rigging, sometimes it is easier to separate the parts and parent to the bones when dealing with robots and mechanical devices.

I think, you are learning blender fast.
I’m so glad you joined our blender club.

Thanks Guys

Still learning blender …Im slow at this …Hinged today toes ,foot ,ankle, calf, knee,now wow mechanical rigging …Want to rig it so I can post it and maybe animate it later .hydraulic hoses and hydraulic cylinders add later. Need to redesign the mech cockpit…we will see.
what do you think ?

Thanks Michalis for your Help, Your work is Great !

Today cockpit

blender mechanical rigging…MAN … Im learning and slow . Center mechanical axis modeling is a bitch you find out later when a object is off a fraction…Wow I can pose a toe…COOL!

leg movement test

I see more nice things here :slight_smile:

Been working on the mech this week its a lot of work ,there is so much I want to do . I just placed parts in for this picture. working on grab arms and seeing where to place them ,there is a bent angle in the arm for hugging the mech’s faceplate. Need to do a socket in the faceplate for the arm .Hope to animation soon…So much to do.
Adding boolean holes in my mech’s faceplate worked great but adding Subdivison (subsurf) modifier the holes looked
like crap ,so adding subsur first and 2nd boolean, doesnt make the holes ,faceplate disappeared.
I need holes

What do you guys think?

Booleans won’t work this way.
After such an operation go to edit mode. See the topology, how it looks there. When you add a subsurf - catmulclark modifier, what are you expecting to happen?
Avoid booleans for hard surf. Except you gonna retopo them. Why to do this? Select a quad on very low boxmodeling, inset tool. Make a quad hole with nice loops for crisper results. Add a subsurf modifier. Maybe this is a better way.

Your hard surf experiments come better and better. You gonna be a master of this, soon. excellent!

Thank You michalis

playing setup

great thread

there is so much more to do on it …,So What do you think ?

There are more… always.
Great work there.

Made the cockpit smaller ,I enclosed the back neck you will see next render.

Nice work! Consider some materials though. Would cool with textures and glossy shaders.

here you go. Flying concept