When will Blender Internal be discontinued?

When will Blender Internal be discontinued?

Well, I translate it as “what Cycles lacks to become the default (and the only renderer) in blender?”
Because this is what we are discussing, more or less.
I also mentioned once, let’s get rid of BI, of its UI, all the prehistoric stuff etc etc.
I regret it, though it may describes well my ideas about the blender render engines.

The BGE depends on the bI?

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.72

Michalis, there is a “fix” in Arnold that is known to cause artifacts.

This fix is not applied for shadow rays that don’t come from a light source (like is the case of ambient occlusion rays). It works great for convex meshes, but may produce artifacts in concave areas of high curvature. A proper solution in this situation to reduce the shadow terminator artifact is to increase the number of subdivision iterations in the mesh (at the expense of the memory footprint).

In the end, they just suggest subdividing your mesh.

There’s a whole section dedicated to dealing with it in this tutorial as well:

https://support.solidangle.com/display/ARNTUT/Shading+a+Rose?src=search

VRay has this issue as well, as does (as I hear) the latest version of Renderman with brute force path tracing.

Further reading:

Yes, the material system is linked to BGE. Cycles can be used to bake now to get cycles-looking textures and lighting into BGE

I did not know any good hacks existed for it, but assumed it would be possible, how does it work in theory ?

Related: http://blog.irayrender.com/post/29042276644/shadow-acne-and-the-shadow-terminator

Many thanks
@m9105826
@Elias79

I think the use dense geometry and displacement maps instead of the normal maps that Blender users tend to favor. Low poly + normal maps will cause issues with render engines using BDSF and path tracing.

Thea Render has a workaround for the terminator issue:
http://www.thearender.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=78:sub-surface-scattering&catid=36:rokstories-samples&Itemid=89
and
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4331

altough I feel it’s a bit like comlaining that my 25 million poly model doesn’t render fluidly in a realtime engine.

The trouble is that for people with limited resources (and who has unlimited resources?), going high poly will cause a lot of other, different issues. Like running out of memory. Or slowing rendering (and the viewport) down to a crawl. I’d really like to see some kind of solution for the terminator problem no matter how hackish or limited it may be. But we don’t always get what we want.

I think the use dense geometry and displacement maps instead of the normal maps that Blender users tend to favor. Low poly + normal maps will cause issues with render engines using BDSF and path tracing.

Indeed so.
And, the use of smooth lights.
Smooth casted shadows.
Now, what about these toon shaders - nodes in cycles?
Freestyle, gradients etc etc all these using smooth lights?
I don’t like it. I need hard crisp lighting. In this case, no matter how dense the mesh is, you gonna have non AA-like artifacts.
This is my point.
A path tracer is not for toon shading.

I am a bit confused by the terminology you are using what are smooth lights and smooth casted shadows.

The size of the lamp. (in cycles)

some dev told me that all lamps in cycles are real lamps
but in bl all lamps are fake

I would really like to see some IES lamp in cycles as soon as possible
to ise commercial fixture and have a more realist render!
like it exists in yafaray or luxrender!

happy bl

You mean the fact that your lamps always have a size so you can’t get perfectly hard edged shadows out of them. I think once you are doing physically based lights then point lights go out of the window.

He means that with larger lights the shadows are softer, and the terminator artefacts less visible. Cycles is perfectly capable of having zero-size lights, but if you want to get rid of the artefacts completely with such a light, you’d need to subdivide your geometry to sub-pixel levels.

I had a look on Blender Internal.
On the left bias is Off, the middle bias os auto (~0.125) on the right bias is full ~0.250
I placed the 3d cursor there, see how it works?

I don’t think I have actually ever tried to have any light set to zero size. I usually adjust the sun lamp to 0.01 and use mesh planes instead of the built in area lights. I don’t know where my mental block that you couldn’t do this came from. with zero size lights and no bounces you can actually get that BI “I was rendered in the 90’s” look pretty easily.

with zero size lights and no bounces you can actually get that BI “I was rendered in the 90’s” look pretty easily.

Not so easily
A scenario,
A scene with the look of BI and a mirror somewhere. (nothing fancy in BI, just a raytraced reflection, 1 bounces)
(I’m afraid, you have to edit all the shaders by using lot of lightpath based setups, is glossyray, is diffuse ray… it will be an endless work I’m afraid).
0 bounces are global only.

Let me spell it out - N.E.V.E.R. !!! :no: (and I hope BI will stay in Blender forever)