When will Blender Internal be discontinued?

Are you sure of this because I have been rendering a head model over the last few days with zero glossy and diffuse bounces and I definitely get glossy reflections as I use it for the cornea, teeth and skin.

It is definitely a reflection as it reflects the correct light shape in the places where the shader has reduced roughness it picks up the light shape where the classic specular fakes never do.

@tyrant
I missed something?
Here, on the left bounces=0 on the right bounces = 1
You have to have global bounces at 1 and glossy bounces =1 , else, a black reflection.
BTW, I do love cycles, all my posts are cycles renders. And, I do love the node system.
Irrelevant to what we’re talking about. I do believe that a newcomer can learn the basics of cycles easier than these BI panels…

http://i.imgur.com/2FpjLrC.png

@Piotr
I don’t see a reflection of this dark ball. Only a completely black think.
Try some different lighting and see for yourself.
You’re trying to emulate a non raytraced environment, right? Like using fake specular?
And, cycles is faster or close to BI?
I don’t see it at all.
Try bounces at 1 then, to have some raytraced reflection, do the same in BI.
BI is much faster again.

Zero bounces = black mirrored objects. Simple and logical.

I’m just showing that if you set bounces to zero, you get reflections of lights (and lights only). Same as BI. Sometimes that’s enough. If you want mirrored objects, then yes, you will obviously have to set your glossy bounces to at least one, the same way you have to turn on raytraced reflections in BI.

One thing that I’ve noticed about BI (correct me if I’m wrong) is that it seems rather hacked together. It feels like it was made, than extended with hacks, and then it tried to add one feature, than another feature, than got several bugs fixed, then another feature was hacked on, and so on. Basically I feel like they were more lazy when they started coding it, which brought in a lot of limitations and bugs.

I personally think that the future could be a nicer realtime GLSL type renderer, and cycles. That would give us screaming fast renders that can be photorealistic if they are really worked on but are better suited to cartoons, and photorealistic renders that take longer.

This is what I would like and makes sense to me.

I suppose the sane thing to do is set it like that as the default.

Just on the topic of GLSL since it’s coming up in this thread… I asked the devs about programmable GLSL-based materials at Blender Conference 2014 and they (Dalai I think?) said it would be feasible once the Viewport project was done. Once that functionality is in there for a rendering mode equally as powerful as BI or Cycles, you can make a GUI which builds the shaders under the hood and you’re most of the way towards the goals for BEER.

Well as cycles still only is very basic and i don’t see any point on dropping solid legacy support, and it is not even close to the pure
unbiased render engines in rendering tech yet.

ROFL.

What you talking about?

as cycles still only is very basic

Very basic? Sounds weird and funny. However, there is some truth on this statement.
It isn’t ready to be the default shader. BI is still the basic render engine.

You are 100% correct if you had to do a feature comparison Blender Internal has way more features then Cycles. If you had to compare the two to other production render engines BI would come up smelling roses.

No, they’re not “lazy.” That’s what happens to software that has been around a long time. (Consider, also, just how different computers were, “back in the NaN days.”) Meanwhile, the product never stops being used. Movies don’t stop being made. The car’s flying down the highway and you’re servicing it and adding new features to it as you go. In time, Cycles will be equally “old.”

Just curious, what features is cycles lacking, compared to BI? Other than, of course, the terminator issue or the fact that it is a slower engine, what does cycles lack? I hear this line of reasoning a lot, that cycles isn’t done yet, that it’s missing key features, but I’m not sure what they are.

@SterlingRoth aghh Sterling I was been sarcastic…

I thought the “compare to other production render engines part” would give it away. The big three are RenderMan, Vray and Arnold. I think all three support OSL(Sony’s version of Arnold at least), offer some form of ray traced global illumination, physcially based shaders and physcially based lights. Things that are in Cycles but not in BI.

Feature wise I think Cycles now has more features than BI.

Render time displacements and some things relating to motion blur are the only generally recognized production features that aren’t in yet. Things like UDIM support and obviously some speedups in volumes/deformation blur would be nice too, but I’m not sure where people get the idea that Cycles is missing out on tons of features.

The big three are RenderMan, Vray and Arnold

Do they have a solution on the terminator problem? Just curious.
And, if so, how they avoid artifacts in animation?
Said that biased solutions may create artifacts in animation, right? This is possible, however the terminator issue in cycles does produce very ugly artifacts already. Much worse than a biased hacking I guess.

if I remember well Freestyle cannot be done in cycles due to the way light is calculated !
also cannot do the edge toon apart of using freestyle

we dont’ really have a good way to represent angular map in cycles
at least not equivalent to bl

and certain there are other things not yet implemented in cycles!

happy bl

What do you mean by “Freestyle cannot be done in Cycles”?

It has worked with Cycles for a while now.

sorry may be I miss that one !
any link for this freestyle in cycles !

thanks