What's your OpenGL version?

some cheap laptop GT620M 4.4

renderer: ‘GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2’
vendor: ‘NVIDIA Corporation’
version: ‘4.5.0 NVIDIA 347.09’

renderer: ‘GeForce GTX 780 Ti/PCIe/SSE2’
version: ‘4.4.0 NVIDIA 344.48’

if they go above 3.1 it requires a total rewrite. if they go 2.1 it would be backward compatible with current blender. the 3.1 is backward compatible with 2.1, so development does not have to come to a full stop for a full rewrite all at once. 2.1 is the most logical stepping stone. it provides a bridge. opengl ng will not be backward compatible even with the highest 4.x. blender should delay a full rewrite for that version when there wont be any other option. and i suspect the same people now demanding the newest and claiming they are being held back by others will be demanding that blender not stick with the newest, that they paid good money for those nvidia cards so blender should stay on 4.X.

not useing 2.1 means development has to stop for a full rewrite.

OSX 10.6 user here:
ATI Radeon HD 5670

OpenGL version 4.1

OpenCL version 1.2

4.4 for me… BTW, who voted “1.4 or less”? Seems pretty low…

OpenGL

renderer: ‘AMD Radeon HD 7600 Series’
vendor: ‘ATI Technologies Inc.’
version: ‘4.4.13084 Compatibility Profile Context 14.301.1001.0’

I’m actually shocked that Blender was using such an ancient version of OpenGL. 1.x is so very ancient :eek:

In either case, going for 3.x someday would be nice, but probably not urgent. Upgrading to OpenGL 2.x does seem rather important however. But please no 4.x yet… MESA is yet to implement it apparently, so this would make Blender unuseable for many Linux users :no:

OSX 10.6 user here:
ATI Radeon HD 5670

OpenGL version 4.1
OpenCL version 1.2

However, you don’t get anything than OGL 2.1 in blender system info, right?
Am I wrong?
Not an issue.
OGL 4.1 for you. Under OSX 10.6x and 5670, I doubt it. Probably something like OGL 3x.

renderer: ‘AMD Radeon HD 6670’
vendor: ‘ATI Technologies Inc.’
version: ‘4.4.13092 Compatibility Profile Context 14.301.1013.0’

openGL 4.4 GTX 970 MacPro Win 7

openGL 4.1 GTX 970 MacPro OS X 10.10.2

Only for Intel GPU users. Nvidia and AMD have good OpenGL 4.4+ drivers.
Even Intel GPU (i965 Mesa driver) is ready to support the most important extensions of the 4.x:

• GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect
  • GL_ARB_buffer_storage
  • GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_binding
    So there is no reason to avoid using this API in Blender (3.3 context as a minimum req, 4.x if supported).

renderer: ‘GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2’
version: ‘4.5.0 NVIDIA 347.09’

my laptop is running GL 3.3 on a geforce GT 330m, the remaining 4 machines I have access to have 4.5 available also.

The question no one is asking is “what GL functions do the devs want to use?” GL version just designates a bunch of GPU functions available for programs to call – is there a specific function (or set of functions) that the devs are thinking will really help performance?

MIne is 1.4, but money is not the same in all the world, thats $20 is one month of food in my country.

No point in voting low if you have an old toaster in the attich that barely runs 1.1 and you’re using a decent machine
No point in voting high if you have a high-end machine in your house which you don’t have acces to, or which you use the same amount as your older machine.

Common sense people.

To those who work on an openGL version lower than 2.1, would you really mind if your blender version does not receive anymore updates?

Probably because that question has been answered multiple times. Consulte professor Google with “viewport Blender project” and look at all the work that Jason did for the past three Google summer of code and what Antony Ryakiotakis has been busy with lately.

Good point here.
If you need Blender for work and professional you need fast workflow.

I used 3ds max and have much more performance than Blender when you have many models on screen and with high details.

If you open Blender only to make some fun stuff, like opening the Windows>Paint and smudging something on very old machine, is not a problem if you keep 2.73 version (and I think it’s not so bad version, for an antic machine).

Is a bit selfish to slow down the development of Blender, and other people who use Blender day to day in the professional area.

This survey is close somehow to steam one, steam 2014 survey shows 70% percent of harware are opengl 4.x capable, so i sea here nearly same.

This project uses a very old API far from the optimal path. IMHO it should use modern API as described in AZDO http://www.slideshare.net/CassEveritt/approaching-zero-driver-overhead