Weighted Normals Calculator

@jpthrash: not really. It completely depends on which type of industry you are making models for, however it’s true that for game based models this behaviour might be preferred. What I personally would like to see is, to have option to use different types of normal calculations for object like:

1. Avg. normal (currently default)
  2. Weighted (more or less the thing this add-on does)
  3. Laplacian Smoothing
    etc.

I agree, what I said was a bit of an exaggeration, having a drop-down menu to change mesh shading would be ideal, with the option to set a specific method by default on object creation.

Jesus, this is beyond amazing. I will use this on all my lowpoly game assets from now on. It doesn’t seem to be quite perfect (Sometimes it highlights certain triangles in a weird way.), but even so this is really great.
Why doesn’t Blender have something like this by default?

A screenshot of the issue I mentioned above:

Your request might be fulfilled if this guygets into Gsoc

Probably, yes. But waiting until August just for that? I don’t know.

Sometimes I wish they’d just sell Blender for $100 and hire 20 more full-time on-site coders at the institute to put an end to this eternal waiting hell…

Seems quite reasonable to me.

1 Like

There are no issues with the script, you need to either bevel that upper extrusion or use a tool like Y.A.V.N.E. to change the shading on those upper faces alone.

Unfortunately, this updated 1.2 version crashes Blender 2.79c if I try to run weighted normals when some parts of the mesh are hidden. Before it just messed the normals, but now it totally crashes. :frowning:

Extremely helpful, thanks!

Thanks for good work. The usefull thing

Very nice addon, thanks. It helps a lot.

This addon is awesome. It’s 2017 and all the hype about game assets with weighted normals brought me here. You sir had this figured out 6 years ago. Thank you.

works like a charm, just needed this for some angular hard surface stuff, thank you!!! <3

Which Zip one or two ?

Great tool, nice addition.

I’ve attempted to contact the original author to get some license clarity. In the meantime, I feel that these changes I’ve made might be beneficial to those outside my team.

• Incorporates minor weighting algorithm changes that should improve the quality in certain topological scenarios.
  • To accommodate certain malformed meshes, exceptions are currently swallowed. This works for my team, but this may not be something you’d desire.
  • Caching has also been removed, as the caching policy was not clearly defined (and caused more issues than it attempted to solve). This has the net effect that all calculations are entirely clean, allowing for iterative application of weighting without unexpected artifacts

I have more plans for modifications, but until the licensing is sorted out, I think this is all that will be publicly shared for now.

Note that this addon should replace the previous one as they are not compatible.

Attached: fwn.zip (1.94 KB)

3 Likes

Trying to make a loop, but no luck, OP can you help?

import bpy

for ob in bpy.context.selected_objects:
    bpy.context.scene.objects.active = ob

bpy.ops.mesh.customdata_custom_splitnormals_clear()
    bpy.ops.mesh.customdata_custom_splitnormals_add()

IMHO
It’s GPL, you showed good intentions - effort contacting previous authors… thus taking it forward, evolving it, giving credits where due… is a way of showing respect in open community.

TYVM

@popcornbag Hi, sorry to come in contact so late, however did you sort out everything about it already?

[quote="notallowed, post:1, topic: What are properties in the first post? When I search for the operator do I choose object: smooth vertex weights or mesh: set normals from faces. Is “set normals from faces” from fwn (feb 13, post no. 55) Which should I use, 1.2 or fwn? Do either of these now work in daily builds?Thanks