Weighted Normals Calculator

@pixelgrip: Yeah unfortunately this is a bug in Blender: https://developer.blender.org/T44058 I hope it will be fixed in the future, so workaround is to apply weighted normals after applying mirror modifier or any other.

@MmAaXx: well from what I see Blend4Web takes normal from the biggest face, but I might be wrong. The thing is that my add-on does just what it says weighted normals by area size of linked faces and I don’t have any special plan to extend it further.

hi, two things come to my mind
1 can this have a button in some place?
2 can this work with undo/redo combo?
3 can i set shortcut for this, somehow?

regards

@pachupp:
1 - yes it can, it’s just an operator… but as this is only small operator I don’t want to flaw UI just for that
2 - it should, if it doesn’t yet then I will have to fix bl_* attributes
3 - yes, open User Preferences -> Input -> 3D View -> Object Mode -> Add New and then in the field “none” write “object.calculate_weighted_normals” as last set your desires short-cut combination. Viola you have your short-cut

yeah, thanks, your addon make 90% right in most of cases, so it is good for me :slight_smile:

Thanks for the Addon. Can I use it with my commercial projects?
Best Regards,
Srinath

@sawsrinath: you mean if you can use it to produce models which you will sell? Ofcourse. But sell this script for money…well if GPL licence gives you that :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, Is it somehow possible to use this in edit mode? For example I could select bunch of faces and addon weighting normals between them, so it only takes into consideration for calculating and averaging those faces between each other what are selected (and their neighbour). Might be quite usefull when want to tweak some larger areas futher and don’t want some other areas to affect on those calculations at all, so some faces would be prioritized more better.

Yes. I’m going to use it for modeling.Thanks again.

Best Regards,
Srinath

in 2.76.1 the script doesn’t show up on the search box…

Thanks again for this addon! Its realy save a lot of time and helps in modeling and baking!

Awesome! I was trying a manual approach with my smooth normals addon, but this looks like it will do a pretty good job without any manual work :slight_smile:

Thank you! This is a life saver!

This is amazing. This opens up so many texturing options for me. Huge relief. Thank you!

Great addon :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for that addon :slight_smile:

is this still working?

Still does here with 2.78b

Any plans on extending support for angle weights as well?

@all: New version released! Check first page for more info :wink:

@m9105826: sadly no. I am developing this by my needs, which currently doesn’t require this kind of weighting.

@Kerub: yep this addon, should still work without a problem on any version above 2.74 :wink:

This should be the default vertex normal behavior in Blender, face + area weighted. Thanks a lot.