War of the Ancients - BlenderGuru Competition

Thanks so much MonkMonk! :smiley: Iā€™ll try to make those corrections when I get the chance.

Another Update:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]253133[/ATTACH]

I decided to change the overall mood to a more war-torn scene (with some amusing characters :D). What does everyone think of it so far?

I still need to add one more character to the left side of the rope to balance out the sides. After that, I have to get started with texturing the characters.

Do you think I should make the scene look more war-torn, or should I change it back to the sunnier scene?

Iā€™d really appreciate any critiques or suggestions.

Thanks.

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha, this is shaping up to be awesome!
Beautifully stylized work.

Thanks Anthony. Iā€™m really excited to finish this project!:slight_smile:

I like itā€¦ itā€™s a fun and different twist on the contest. Looks like you have shape keys going pretty good now

Thanks harleynut97, glad you like it! :smiley: Iā€™m really happy to have figured out the shape keys. This project is a really good learning experience for me, especially since I just started using Blender less than a year ago. I feel like Iā€™m making a lot of progress.

I like the expressions and poses - the color seem sa little off, but it could be my monitor though. The broken stuff in the back is nice - canā€™t wait to see the textures on their armor!

Thanks Craig. :slight_smile: The color could be a little off because of the sky. It might be a little too strong, so Iā€™ll probably adjust it later. Iā€™m really looking forward to texturing the armor.:smiley:

Hereā€™s another update:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]253360[/ATTACH]

So far, I havenā€™t had enough time to texture the charactersā€™ armor, but Iā€™ve made some progress.

I added a Greek character on the left side of the rope.
I made few minor changes to the background.
Iā€™ve also added some anime expression symbols to enhance the charactersā€™ emotions. What does everyone think? Is it too much?

Iā€™d really appreciate critiques or suggestions.

LMAO at that bead of sweat! Perfect!

Thanks. Glad you like it! :slight_smile:

Update:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]253507[/ATTACH]

So far, Iā€™m testing out a few elements in the scene like particle hair (on the Spartanā€™s helmet) and armor shaders (on the knight and Spartan). Iā€™m having trouble thinking of a good way to texture the armor and clothing of the characters. I am also planning to add hair to some of the characters.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how I can improve this, or do you think itā€™s still going in the right direction?

Critiques and comments are welcome. Thanks!

make better clouds setup :smiley:

Thanks for your input Kramon. I was wondering about the clouds. I like the overall shape of the cloud model, but Iā€™m not exactly sure of how to make the clouds look more like theyā€™re in the background.

Is there a way to do this?

make 5 diffrent cloudsā€¦

Okay, I might look into changing some of the clouds.

I am considering adding a dividing line to the grass to show that one side is winning. Every time I try to edit it by weight painting or cutting the grass in the particle editor, there doesnā€™t seem to be any difference. Does anyone know how to do this?

I have been setting some of the materials for the scene. But I am having issues with the glossy materials. I like the look of some of them when they reflect the sky color (like the knightā€™s armor), but I donā€™t want some of the other materials to reflect the sky. Is there a way to make a material shiny without reflecting the sky color?

Prob

but I donā€™t want some of the other materials to reflect the sky. Is there a way to make a material shiny without reflecting the sky color?

Possibly adding a light path node could help, but I canā€™t say for sureā€¦ but might be worth checking into.

I do agree with Kramonā€¦ It needs different shaped and size clouds. Youā€™ve really done a nice job on this so far, I think it would be worth the additional effort.

I am not entirely sure on what you want to do, but if you just want to stop the environment from influencing certain objects, you can place them on another render layer and turn off ā€œUse Environmentā€ and later combine them in the compositor.