Two Cents

Hey thanks guys! I know I lack the skills most guys have on here but I keep plugging away at it…

@frederico4d I had thought about setting it up so that once the pieces are cast I can leave myself guidelines for hand engraving the designs. I know it’s possible, I just haven’t had the time to experiment with the idea. I think I’d make alphas in GIMP using the gradient fill option. Or if I got creative I could use my Bas-Relief node setup and create 3D models for the engravings.

I’ve been experimenting with the Polysaurus Addon a bit lately. It’s interesting that I can paint the areas I want, then extrude using the Inflate brush. I sculpt the mesh from there.

1 Like

extremly cool bro!!
tell us about the bas-relief, i’m interested.

Alpha AO Creation Final.blend (905 KB)

I tried attaching my AO Bas-Relief Node files, hopefully it comes through. I have a friend helping me clean up the nodes but it does work.

Working with materials and lighting.

1 Like

DJ,

Thank you. That was again very generous. Did a quick test and your set up works great.

Regards,
Oscar

I’m glad you found it helpful Oscar! I have a few other tricks for CNC work when it comes to stacking multiple 3D models for STL output if you’re interested. What I miss most about CNC was the fact that I didn’t have to care about non manifold meshes and intersecting faces… 3D printing is a pain in the arse I’ve discovered.

One of my first animations.

Second animation using Filmic.

1 Like

I’m quite happy how this has turned out.

DJ, that did come out gorgeous. Are you planning on having that one made?

Yes Oscar that’s the plan! I had one cast in 14k white gold, I liked it so much I really didn’t want to give it to my customer… I’ll cast this example in Argentium Silver and have the texture electroplated here in the next month or so?

Working with a friend to create pistol grips for paintball guns. These will most likely be CNC’d but I may attempt to use a laser engraver. The patterns are made with a mix of addons along with my Bas-Relief nodes.

1 Like

A few ideas I’ve had as of late done up as some quick renders. The knife is a personal project based on a knife blank I bought from Alabama Damascus. I’ll post results on it as it’s being made if anyone is curious as to how it’s done.

1 Like

I would love to see the knife when it’s finished. If its anything like the render it will be a piece of art.

• O

Thanks again Oscar, it didn’t quite turn out as I had planned though… I decided it would be more fun just to make the scales by hand on that first one. The second one does have a 3D printed mosaic pin I created in Blender, printed by imaterialise. I’ll be using Blender more on my next pieces but only for design work, no more renders.

They are all pieces of art. I love the Damascus steel. Do you do the smithing, have them custom done, or purchase the blanks?

Nicely done!

Thank you! The blanks were purchased on these examples. I would like to be able to forge my own Damascus but I just don’t have the space for it. I’ll be switching over to tool steel for my next series of knives and I have some blade styles that I’ve created in Blender that I will be using. I have several ideas in mind about adding some 3D modeling work similar to the mosaic pin but with a little more flair.

With using these blanks it lets me explore varying techniques on file work, scale design and overall finish without worrying about costs.

2 Likes

Dragon Claw Ring set with an Ethiopian Black Opal.

1 Like

3D printed Full Curl Ram Skull. It is a keyring holder for a friend. I also used the model to test the new Eevee render engine. I have to say I’m quite impressed with it.

Attachments

Really like how that came out. What material did you get it printed in?

Thanks Oscar! I had this printed in raw steel by imaterialise. So far they have exceeded all others in their print qualities when it comes to metal prints.