Two Cents

Hi DevilsDJ all of jewelry design are fabulous. are you a cad designer, what types of software you use to design because i also loved to design or drawing but i design only pencil sketch.

Hey thanks chaaseemmie I appreciate the compliments! I’m no CAD designer, just a nerd with a PC and an abundant amount of stubbornness. I mainly use Blender, probably 95 percent of my work is done with it. I also use MOI3D on occasion and just started experimenting with 3D Coat. I also use Inkscape for SVG manipulation and GIMP for image cleanup to use in Inkscape for bitmap tracing.

If you have any interest in making jewelry check out Mikhail Rachinskiy on YouTube, his channel is how I figured out how to make most of the stuff I post.

Something I’ve been working on and off for about a month now, hopefully I can get my 3D printer set up and print this for casting.

Here’s a quick render of my latest idea, Kodiak brown bear skull pendant with spring loaded articulating jaw.

Also I began experimenting with the armature modifier in the hopes that it will allow me to pose models exactly where I want them.

Seeing if I can fit my family’s coat of arms on a ring, far from being done on this one.

I had this model printed by Shapeways in stainless steel after several modifications using Blender and 3D Coat.

Attachments

Testing a new lighting and materials set-up, looking much better from what I can see.

Attachments

Guess which bear head is the high density version.

Wireframe of decimated mesh overlayed onto the high density version after the Shrinkwrap modifier has been applied on the bear skull.

Remesh+Smooth+Shrinkwrap modifier testing. Seems to work fairly well for decimating meshes. Each model was approximately 3.2 million polys and after running them through a few modifiers I was able to cut that to about 500k. A lot of my models start out very dense as I use Bas-Relief techniques to create them, and because of that it seems Blender’s Decimate modifier just can’t handle the density. I found that this works fairly well with a minimal amount of work and gives you results ready for 3D printing and casting.

I’ve also found that since it’s a quad based mesh after the Remesh mod is used you can hop into sculpt mode and clean up any edges quite easily.

Attachments

Maybe I should make a robot? Or mayhaps a face sculpt? That seems to garner responses on this site… Yeah no thanks, anyways new results from my experimentations with Blender for 3D printing.

Printed in stainless steel by Shapeways.

Attachments

14K white gold Alaskan Men’s Ram Signet ring. All design work done with Blender.

Matcap and Renders

Creation of the ring. I was able to get all the detail on the band with about 1.05 million polygons using selective subdivisions and UV mapping. The second image is my alpha I created with my custom Bas-Relief node groups.

I should have checked out your work sooner. All, gorgeous pieces and beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

Hey thanks OLG I appreciate the kind words!

It’s been a busy few months around the house so I haven’t had much time for experimentations with modeling and renders. Here was a quick test of some materials and lighting. Post processing via PS using the OpenEXR file format.

1 Like

I started playing around with the SpeedSculpt addon using base primitives to create something different. I never quite finished the project as I really just didn’t like the design. That being said though I really like the addon, it made quick work of taking an idea and making it a reality, well worth the money.

Something I threw together for the wife. This one will be cast and finished here soon.

Still experimenting with Alpha creations using AO and the Z-depth renders. I think I have a pretty decent grasp of depth vs clarity.

1 Like

Looking pretty awesome. That is going to be a sharp looking ring.

Beautiful design, and really skilled models, the 3d prints would look awesome with some touch ups by hand engraving (but I guess that would defeat the purpose.) Keep it up!