Ton's Holliday work in action ( Video by Sebastian Koening)

In looking closer at the reason it didn’t work for me the first time I tried it, I discovered both the possible reason, and another odd quirk. F5 works when the cursor is over the “Object Tools” part of the Tool Shelf, but it doesn’t work when the cursor is over the “Operator” part of the Tool Shelf. Does that happen for you, or am I floundering publicly again?

when will going to see component highlighting vertex, edge ,face this is really important visual feedback reduce error on modeling

Never. It´s Ton´s stance on the matter. I happen to agree with you, though.

i just noticed the fade in feature… (region overlap) user prferences
i dont like it either…
Anyone find a way to turn it off?(not the whole feature just the fade)
I never liked the “fade effects” of Windows either ,
i always turned those off as well.

(i like how it doesn’t resize the window and “jump” the window when pressing “n” or “t”
but the fade effect is way to slow… maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if the fade effect speed
could be controled like 3x or 4x faster?
but, just just having it popup without any fade at all would be just fine for me.
I like fast instant response, when i press a button…
it makes me feel like my computer is slow/sluggish with the fade and things…

hmm. That transparent stuff seems like a really bad joke to me.
Otherwise, very nice usability improvements(especially splitting user prefs.)

Nice, though I don’t get why BF does not merge Vino’s GSoC for UI tasklist:

only just saw this,and yeah I agree,whats the deal?

everything in that seems excellent.

We should protest! :stuck_out_tongue:

Meh - I’m all out of protest credits since I used my quota up on Blender bevel. Now that they’ve fixed that I have to behave for a while.

Usually GSoC projects get into trunk about a year or two after they’re finished. Like the way we’re seeing 2010 stuff get reviewed and committed right now.

Maybe it could be an add-on? Just because Ton doesn’t like it is no reason not to have it somewhere ,somehow.

IMO

and on Vino’s GSOC they said it will be implemented in the next few months…
Still not clear on what they will accept and what won’t be ,though

I don’t understand. When I go in vertex mode and I select vertices they are highlighted in orange. Same for edge mode and face mode. So, what is the highlighting that is missing? Configuration of the highlight color?
I myself would like some day in blender be able to change the color of the meshes in viewport in wire mode instead all in black. And also be able to cull the backfaces in wire mode. I think someone that comes from max as me just desire some day this in blender.

User Preferences => Themes => 3D view => Wire

he’s talking about pre selection highlighting. So when you hover over an item, it gets highlighted. That’s pretty useful when using edge, vertex and face selection at the same time and other modelers like silo and wings had that feature since ages.
I also don’t understand Ton’s reasoning not to include this as i’ve never ever heard any user arguing against it in a program that uses this feature.

Maya has an option for enabling it and it is very useful to toggle on and off in certain situations. For fast tweaking of organic surfaces it is unbeatable. Only someone not doing modeling on a daily basis would say pre-selection is useless.

I´m pretty sure he didn´t say it was useless, just against some UI philosophy yada yada…

Is that the same sort of philosophy that brought us right mouse button selection? Personally i don’t care about vert/edge/face highlighting, but the stubborn refusal to add such an option seems worrisome… Gives off bad GIMP / MyPaint vibes.

made me lol :smiley:

It is possible to illustrate why Ton doesn’t like pre-selection highlighting. It is about a particular selection behavior that Blender has. Be in “wireframe view” and “vertex select” edit mode with a model that has lots geometry. Carefully arrange the view so that a close-up vertex is EXACTLY lined up with one far away.

The problem is how to allow selection of each vertex without requiring the user to change the view. Click that area of those two vertices and one will be selected (nach), but then click again without moving your mouse at all and the second vertex will be selected. Line up even more vertices and you see that the selection cycles between them all.

All of those vertices are selectable without changing the view. So which ONE of them would be highlighted by pre-selection highlighting?

in those case just use the same behaviour =/

it highlights all vertices behind or something and toggles between them

and even if that’s not possible,it could just have an on/off button

It’s not that easy. I gave a very simple example with single vertices but this applies to edges, faces, and objects. Imagine having pre-selection highlighting but having multiple objects highlighting at once. That would be correct behavior for Blender in that any of those objects could be selected at that point. But it screws up the very idea of pre-selection highlighting, that you are showing what would be selected if you click the mouse.

But other systems allow you to click to select just a single thing and it is not obvious what that thing is, so pre-selection highlighting comes in handy. On those systems you steer your mouse around until what you want to select becomes highlighted THEN you click with the mouse. In Blender you just click and you normally get the right thing, but if you don’t you just click again.

So it is not just a feature that is missing, but a difference is selection strategy.