Ton's Holliday work in action ( Video by Sebastian Koening)

Yes, User Preferences > Interface > Promt Quit

Must make some changes in the scene for it to work though, which makes sense.

Where??? I am on Linux. Perhaps they forgot about Linux on that?

Yes i think is windows only :stuck_out_tongue: - link

Linux users are true hackers, that’s why :stuck_out_tongue:

True cause is that we use ready system message boxes for windows that are missing on linux without relying on a window toolkit.

And what about OSX?

paolo

I think macos has it too but uses a different implementation. Sorry Linux users :confused:

[TABLE=“width: 500, align: center”]

(Oh nose!.. Attack of Quit Blender!)

[/TABLE]

Ton, your work is terrific. Copy/paste between files? <Snap!> Thanks! Also, I like how the view area doesn’t jump when the side menus appear now. Calm and soothing. Will we be able to lose the fade in/out?

Say, while you’re here, on your next holiday could you consider this? : The side menus are called up by the hotkeys T and N, but the results are strangely inconsistant between the different window modes, especially the Image Editor

Using T will produce a menu on the <-left of the 3D View, Movie Clip Editor and Node Editor, but a T will produce a menu on the right-> side of the Image Editor.

Using N will produce a menu on the right-> of the 3d View, Graph Editor, NLA Editor, Movie Clip Editor and Node Editor, but N will produce menus on the <-Left in the Image Editor.

@zavigny, if it’s only the location that’s the issue, pressing F5 with the mouse over the region will put it on the other side.

Is there any way to turn off the fade in/out of the n/t menus whilst region overlap is on? i just want them to pop in/out like before, just not move the camera around.

@Sago, Hmmm… that doesn’t appear work for me. Maybe OSX needs a little love?

Did you try with your mouse hovering over the toolshelf panel?

heh I always found it odd blender never warns you to save on exit. Very much welcomed.

Sometimes my laser mouse hits a piece of dust on my mouse-pad and it shoots up to the close ‘X’ and I close blender on accident. Happens in a blink of an eye and at the worst of times. :wink:

Copy&Paste is indeed good feature !
Semi-transpanent toolbars are ok but fade time is not. It should be faster.

Personaly i don’t need it but i have a few ways for you.
On KDE. Mouse_right_click/Alt+F3 on Blender window -> More Actions -> Special Window Settings -> Appearance & Fixes -> Closeable -> Force = No. After that accidenly closing Blender will be impossible.
On GNOME that you’re using. I remember there was some little program called maximize. Its not the best way since you won’t see the header but if its not important than thats the way to go.

@Sago, @Lancer: Oh man, I have egg on my countenance. It does work, I just wasn’t over the panel region exactly. My fault.

That’s a pretty hidden feature, kinda like the Shift-Scroll in large menu lists.

I think first rule of any program must be don’t have hidden features. All hotkeys must be accessed via menus or buttons. So for this F5 thing I would add entries on the menu “Swap N and T panels (F5)”, “N and T panels on the left (F5)”, “N and T panels on the right (F5)”.

I think having the possibility to access all the features using the mouse is much better than trying to memorize them. Then when you uses the same feature one and another time you just memorize the shortcut without any effort.

Also another rule is faster access. For example I like much more a toolbar with little icons than going to the menus and finding there what I need. So you could create a toolbar with these little icons to do the tasks you more usually does and it would be very quick. T panel was going to be this way, when it first appeared you could easily add a new button there. Then this feature was deactivated, I wonder why, and now you must edit the python file to do something similar. But it would be much greater to have such a toolbar and be saved in your interface config file.

That wouldn’t work… mostly because what you describe isn’t how it works. The Tool Shelf and Properties region, as well as the Header, are all regions and the F5 behavior works on all of them in all editors. Your text is far too specific (and potentially misleading). A potential solution (though it’s complicated now by the newly added transparency) is implemented in the Header: Right-click the header and you’ll see an option to flip it to the opposite side. Something similar could possibly be added for the other regions.

@Fweeb: I’m confused, mostly because I am dumb, but…why would it not work?

Maybe I should have said “it won’t work well”… Perhaps these questions will help illustrate my issue with that approach:- Which menu do Bao2’s menu items get placed into?

• How would such a menu address a situation when one or both of those regions are hidden? If you chose that menu option, there’d be no obvious feedback as to what happened.
  • What about the header?
  • What about regions in any of the other editors?
    The F5 behavior is certainly not an easily discoverable feature. However, it’s simple (one button/operator for all regions in all editors vs. at least three different operators with only subtle differences in their names… and that’s just in the 3D View), it’s consistent, and provides immediate visual feedback upon use. An improvement would be a solution that hits all of these marks and is more discoverable.
  1. The same as the “Properties N” entry: in every menu that has such panel. In 3DView in the “View” menu there is a “Properties N” entry. There is also one in the UV/Image editor. So add entries too for all the hidden features there

2. Call the entry “Toggle …” or make a menu entry with a checkbox as in the uv editor

3. What is the question? I don’t see anything in the header that has some hidden hotkey. I am only talking of “hidden” hotkeys meaning there is no other way of doing it with the mouse. In the header you can do with the mouse right click. I am talking of features like F5 where the mouse can’t do and I think your program must have all exposed to be able to access with the mouse all the features. When the only way is to use the keyboard it becomes a “hidden” feature. When I started with blender I was blown by the “memorize” all these hundreds of hotkey approach, and then I left blender of course. No way for a newbie to learn that just to test blender. But then in my second attempt I tried to do everything using the menus and only to remember the hotkeys when there was not “mouse way” available. And in days I was just remembering the hotkeys for the common tasks of just the repeating vision of the hotkeys in the menu entries. So in my opinion this is good: to be able to access every feature with the mouse. Of course there always will be some exception, we can live with that. Perhaps F5 is one and leave it as it is. But I will continue to think it is better if all you can do with hotkeys were in the menus.

4. What exactly?

5. I was just planning in some day do a extensive search of the hidden hotkeys and see if there is really a problem or not. I think there is. Perhaps one solution would be a “?” button on each window that exposes the hotkeys you can use in the context you are currently. For example you are sculpting and press that “?” button or perhaps F1 and a popup window shows you all the hotkeys for sculpting.