To charge my batteries ...

Beauitful textures and modeling, the lighting is flawless, and the DoF compliments the shots perfectly.

Awesome. Period.

Great work. 5 stars.
The Textures are really good. I like the blue textures with the rust .
Don’t worry if it looks a little bit like something else done.
Look at how many cars, humans, interiors and space ships people do.

You use Indigo right?
Do you also have and use one of those Wacom tablets?

Enrico, I too was immediately reminded of the image I saw some time ago on CGTalk. But honestly, I don’t think that this is a big problem - although the concept might be similar, the execution is totally different and therefore it is easy for me to accept this as your very own creation.

Outstanding work, once more. I really have some questions, as I’m currently doing a piece with heavy texturing as well:

1. How long do you work on the unwrapping and texturing for a piece such as this one? You post a lot of images in the recent weeks and I wonder if my workflow is totally wrong since I need so long for that…
  2. Would you mind showing us some of your textures or rather: give a few tipps on how to achieve such materials with Indigo. What kind of maps do you use?

Would be really awesome if you could answer ssome of my questions, you seem to have mastered the workflow. And please do continue to make such great images! :wink:

Have you ever done a bad image in your life?! I just found myself a new background for my pc.

Anyway, this is amazing stuff. The texturing is perfect, the lighting, the composition, everything! I have nothing bad to say about this one. I am like everyone else though and want to know how long this took to render! I just started with indigo a week ago and I have had a piece rendering for about 70 hours, and it wasn’t even very complex (the PC its running on is junk).

Yea, great images like always, but I saw that idea already… so, 4 stars for idea! :wink:

Thanks again to all for your comments,

As asked by some of you, here are several images about wire and UV mapping textures, I won’t do a tutorial for now as I think that many tutorials about UV mapping are available on the web and they are really well done. By the way, as already stated by others, the most important process in UV mapping is the unfold job and a good usage of seams may really help on getting the better UV map. Once you get a nice UV map, there is no secret, you need a good base texture and a nice image editor like Gimp or Photoshop to enhance the texture by adding the required details like I did for the head, body or battery. For the additional scratches around holes in the head and the body, I used a wacom tablet, very useful as much more precise than the mouse. Usually I try to make the textures myself with a hires digicam but this requires a lot of time so I also pick some of them on free sites like www.cgtextures.com which is really great and I would like to thank them for providing such nice material.

The light was produced by an HDRI image I got on a CD I received from 3D World Mag, so this is not free but a lot of free HDRI images are available on the web. Be carreful that you must convert them from HDR to EXR to use them in Indigo (hdr2exr program does it very well).

@thoro: The rendering time depends of course on the image, light, subdivision, etc. So for the first scene the rendering time in 1600x1200 was about 16h (not so much). The problem is that if you don’t leave it long enough you get a noisy image, but sometimes, and I did it, I stop the rendering with some grain and I use postprocessing program like neat image to remove the noise.

http://users.swing.be/enrico.cerica/3D/371_clay.jpg

http://users.swing.be/enrico.cerica/3D/371_wire.jpg

http://users.swing.be/enrico.cerica/3D/371_uv_head.jpg

http://users.swing.be/enrico.cerica/3D/371_uv_body.jpg

http://users.swing.be/enrico.cerica/3D/371_uv_battery.jpg

Thanks for the explanation and texture examples. I do agree that getting a good unwrap is easily more than half the battle. I can’t tell you how many times I have spent time fixing texture stretching. It’s all a learning process though. I think texturing and lighting are two major areas that can make or break your image, you did your flawlessly!

5 stars! WOW!

This really tells a story. You know when it’s a picture of a robot and it makes you feel sad it’s well done :wink:

It really is full of emotion, excellent piece.
And the texuring is just damn beautiful.

Great image, damned beautiful work on the textures! So realistic!

Only one critic, I got a little confused by the level of reflection of the tiles on the wall… i think the image conveys decline and dirt atmosphere very well but a so high level of reflection hurts that idea of negligence you communicate in every pixel, it claims instead “the wall is clean”.

excellent piece of work. Seems to me this would make a good subject for an animation.

Real nice texture and render, now I >HAVE< to learn to use indigo.

The actual image reminds me of another I’ve seen recently…

Great job! If someone told me it was a picture I would probably believe if it wasn´t for the robot!

How did you do the wall texture?
What’s it look like?

The texturing, the camera angles, the lighting, the usage of DoF…it’s all just too great.

6 out of 5 stars :wink:

Totally epic image! 6 out of 5! :eek:

Also, thanks for the texture mapping images and wireframes. They are really great for those of us (like myself), who don’t really know what they’re doing, lol.

Keep up the great work!

My un-awesomeness is stifling compared to this… wow.

stunning as usual…did you displace the floor or is that just a simple bump map?

Sweet! Nice job! I say this should be moved to gallery. the texturing is superb! I have to admit a actual eye would be nice as a companion(you know white, black?)
So I’ll give a 4.99999999 stars.( 5 *) what can I say… everyone wants to be a critic:D:D