Tissue by Alessandro Zomparelli

+1 for that:)

thanks Alessandro!!

WOW, really handy add-on, thanks for sharing.

Wooow Alessandro !!!
So many possibilities it’s awesome. We need this into the trunk :wink:

This is awesome.

Now, if only it was a modifier :stuck_out_tongue:

Let me just chime in and say +1 !

modifiers are hard to get into trunk. I wish addons had access to modifiers in blender not just operators

Let me just add my kudo’s to the list. I love to make 3D-doodah’s in an easy (-ier) way… First thing that came to mind was “Hey, that looks like something out of TopMod”. (I would love more TopMod functionality in Blender.) The Facebook page on ‘Blender for Computational Design’ also looks pretty interesting. Thanks.

Hi everybody, thanks for your compliments.
It would be great to have these as modifiers, but unfortunately right now, as blurymind told, it is difficult :frowning:

Anyway, I uploaded a simple demo video for show how Tessellate operator works:

1 Like

Well. Before making assumptions maybe @ideasman could tell us if it will be feasible to get this as a modifier. Several modifiers have been added on latest releases.

Add-ons are written in Python. There is currently no way to write an add-on that creates a new modifier. Modifiers must be written in C (or C++) and compiled as part of Blender’s source. That makes it difficult to make this a modifier (especially if the add-on author only knows Python).

Also, your reply was to the guy who wrote the add-on. He’s not assuming anything.

pretty interesting add-on I have to give this one a test now.

I love the fact that even after a restart of Blender the history can be changed.

This is seriously impressive, well done.

Very nice Alessandro! Thanks for sharing your work.

I think that there should be a lot of possibilities hidden behind the way in wich the add-on orients the component on the faces.
Is it governed by the vertex order of the face only?

Here are some experiments:

wow this is really visually impressive paneling work!

This is outstandingly useful! Compliments! I actually thought about making something like this for a few months! :slight_smile: this is going to be really, really useful, especially to make clothing models. Thanks again.

awesome!!! :eek:

man, you don’t know what toy you have created !!

thanks

this is badass. I think I will use it a lot. Thanks!

Nice to see interest in making it a modifier.
I have had many times where this would have been useful - especially for environment art.

In my case, I guess I would have used it on brick walls,floors,fences and on all kinds of organic surfaces, on things that have a repeating pattern. Then I would have baked that pattern to a normal or displacement map.

being a modifier would be advantageous in a long run. I think that if the blender artist community manages to produce enough non-abstract examples of use of this operator, maybe ideasman or some other blender dev will put it on the roadmap.

Zbrush has a very very similar feature. They use it for fabric patterns and things like chainmails

so yeah, this is a must have for character art!
I see no reason not to include it as a modifier.

Something that could be added as a feature to the modifier is the ability to apply the effect only on some of the faces of the mesh (like using a vertex group). That way one could stack two or more of them - each with a different vertex group.

Maybe we can come up with ideas on how this could evolve into something even more powerful and versitile.

1 Like

The debate as far as I have understand was: if someone manages to port this into a C modifier will this be accepted on trunk?

However after reading again my post I have noticed that it wasn´t really clear, and the person whom I replied wasn´t certainly the right person. So I understand your confusion.

+1 for it becoming a modifier in C

AFAIK this is how the cell fracture operator went, ported from py to C.

But I think Campbell has valid points, also maybe let Alessandro have a chance to say something about it.
But it looks amazing so far.