The happy an open NPR sketchbook

I love the bear character
How did you achieve the watercolor or crayon look for him?

oddbody

If I may:

Support BEER.

This is NOT freestyle. It is a Node setup. :slight_smile:

For fun, a while back. Also, not Freestyle.
Only 3 per post? :slight_smile: I will put moar up later I guess.

Cheers!!

EDIT- as you probably can see-- all Blendswap models. :smiley:

What the heck, here is more.

Experimenting with shaped speculars.

Watercolor-ish, plus FS lines.

An interesting AO/compositing render, very very fun texture to it.

Cheers again!

Edge Node v1.1 CG Cookie Flex Rig

Cycles with Edge Nodes (Personal Version)

Vertex paint on a plane mesh, heavy doodle

More later

:smiley: Time for more.

Metal gear, random study

Watercolor & pencil effect via compositor

Why not more Suzanne, BG lines also fully Blender effect.

More later

Very cool! a lot of good stuff!
ink/mixed media/pop art emulation (textures made with Krita, except paper texture):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238880[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]238881[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]238882[/ATTACH]

Impressive NPRs Filou.

Post process shading test for lighting/shadow detail test, 1 lamp setup, 1 sample shadow. 20s rendertime.

Here is two NPR test renders for my platform game.

So here’s some more.
Using the new implementation of the BSDF toon shader / cycles.

hey jikz - this looks really good…mind if I ask what the node setup was?

I’m working on animations that are closer to 2.5D instead of 3D? Like, cut paper animations. It’s hard to explain, and frustrating when trying to find any other examples of what I’m looking for.

Here’s a thing I did this week. I used a Wacom tablet to doodle the things, then imported them all to flat panes (except for the car). It renders SUPER fast because it’s all panes. But I’d love to find out if other people are doing this style of 3D animation. (I’m SURE there are people, I just don’t know where or how to look for them).

https://vimeo.com/67856941

@swmo: Really like this style! Great for kids story books. Not just your 4yo. I showed it to my 11 yo. daughter and she loved it!

@jikz: I’ve seen some of your renders in other threads also and like 'm a lot (well, most of 'm :slight_smile:
The B/W kettle (“AO/compositing”) is fascinating, also because of the light blue details. I wouldn’t mind if you elaborated on the technique you used…

@michalis: I like the NPR version of that orb/probe/sphere kinda thingy. I have been reading your thread with the texture/displacement method and also trying it myself. Its really cool stuff! Unfortunately lately my Blender keeps crashing so I can’t finish anything these days :frowning:

@dank0: nice pictures! Is there any place where we can see more of that game?

@Beau: I like your anim a lot! I can’t tell you about other people doing this kinda stuff, but I really hope I will be one of them in the future :wink:

I really luvvv this thread. Everybody, thanks for sharing!

@beau I have plans to try that myself after I get done with my current project. I find the style of stuff like that interesting and probably a lot easier to do in Blender than Flash.

I really like the video :slight_smile:

@lepelaar: not yet but I’m working on it :slight_smile: I will update you soon.

@jikz
wonderful renders!
Not a freestyle? (the gun etc)
What node setup? please?
@dank0
Very good!
@beau
Very well done. You only missed the back of the car, a UV issue.

Fantastic stuff everyone!

light Bwk: how did you do the watercolour and pencil image?

michalis: your amazing sculpting is shown off in a new light. Very nice!

filou.rod: can you share how you got that look?

swmo: still love that image.

thanks for sharing everyone.

Great Work. Thanks for showing

Augh - yeah. It’s driving me crazy. I had three days to put this together. I can’t believe I pulled it off this well. I wish I knew After Effects better so I could have done that speed-up/slow-down effect on the important spots. I love that effect.

The biggest challenge was having the car follow along a path. I couldn’t figure out how to make it stop, or slow down, or start later than the first frame. I found some details, but they were either out-dated or the error I was getting wasn’t mentioned. I’m not sure what I did, but because I only had Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to get it done, I had to work within the limits of what I had.

But - quite honestly - working within the limits I think forced me to improve the other areas. But the great news is that this one animation has helped me break through my slump. I’ve been wanting to do something like this, but I kept trying to go about it the wrong way. I really like the flat sides of everything… but it’s a pain when creating it, because I can’t see what I’m doing until I render it out. And I can’t figure out how to do it with Cycles renderer, so I’m using the old blender engine.

But, all things considered, I was shocked that it turned out as well as it did.

Next, I’m going to start working on a short story.

Beau. I did a (very) short animation using planes and enjoyed how quick it was to render. I’ve been meaning to do more with the style, you have opened my mind to more possibilities, thank you :slight_smile:

edit: to get a preview can’t you use the textured setting in the 3D viewpoint? I used cycles myself, just because I’m used to it.