The Great Ravine I: GREYSTONE

your models are fine for the most part but you’re textures could use some work. you’re using the same texture for the floor and walls in many cases this makes the scene look less interesting and plain.The more details and variation you have the more the player will be distracted from flaws. try adding more barrels sacks and general clutter. Also some of the textures are to small, The wall in the last update looks as if its made of small bricks Most medieval walls where made with large stones often slightly irregular same goes for the ground that’s a lot of small tiles to lay. If your interested I have a tutorial series for creating a variety of common textures using gimp here is a link http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list…9tySNMZZIrBSYa.

I’ve been getting allot about the textures, so I started upping them!
Before:

After:

Its looking good!!

Looking good SupaKid, I did not know you were currently at school, and that changed my response a bit.
I think you are doing fantastically - I remember when I was in school 15/16 I was a massive Java enthusiast and would constantly create new projects, bin the old ones and learn new skills. It was a fantastic way to learn more advanced programming without having any clear objective. Now I’m 22 - and I know Java inside out, the skills I have learned by creating new content and trying out new things (in my personal opinion) have helped me ten times as much as If I’d just made a simple platformer.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted :slight_smile:

This is were you begin the game. So far when you start the game this lake is were you spawn, and its just outside the main city. And I am making this place were you begin your quest.

This is the Idea.

The main menu when you start the game is a view of the lake. When you click “Start new game” all of the menu (Icons and words ect.) fades away. Then out of the water bursts you, covered in rags. An elderly man approaches you and an interactive cutscene begins. I thought this was a great original idea to start the game as opposed to a create-a-character that were used to in RPG games. The elderly man asks what your were before you awoke in the lake, And 3 options come up for you to choose your starting class: A hunter (Bonus in archery/stealth) A Troop (Bonus in Melee/Toughness) or a Doctor (Bonus in Alchemy/Magic). the conversation goes on until you have completed your character’s traits and ready to go on you quest to find out why you suddenly appeared in this lake.

Also the last dungeon at the end of the game is hidden behind the waterfall. I thought that ties the game up well, returning to the spot you came from in rags now as a fully legit warrior, ready to Finnish the fight.

What do you guys think?

Also the last dungeon at the end of the game is hidden behind the waterfall. I thought that ties the game up well, returning to the spot you came from in rags now as a fully legit warrior, ready to Finnish the fight.

I like the Idea, and this concept. Reminds me of going all over San Andreas, just to come back to Grove Street at the end :smiley:

Of course should it be hidden till the end? or visible, but unreachable?

I’m eagerly waiting for a trailer Supakid13.

Yeah of course it will be hidden until the end, or maybe something like behind the waterfall is a passage that is blocked up, then at the end of the game you open up the passage with the help of the charterers you met throughout the game? that would be dramatic as :smiley:

Trailer I haven’t completed and posted yet because The game is getting great new content all the time (And I still need to post about it here) But yeah Ill prioritise get a trailer out soon :smiley:

Gameplay Trailer!!!

many apologys that it took so long. Youtube wouldn’t work so I had to roll with vimeo.

Enjoy!

Very fun trailer - nice job!

eagerly waiting to play

Looks really cool, lot´s of features in there. I would suggest you to add some mist to the open world scene, so you can´t see all of it from one place.

@blenderrendersk
Good idea, I’ve left it without fog because:

The entire game is done in a single scene. (besides the HUD)
I did this for lots of reasons, such as if I change some of the logic of the player, or add a new weapon, ect, I don’t have to repeat myself on another scene.
Also, when you enter a dungeon it simply teleports you to the dungeon, so there are no loading screens. (and kills the open world shaders, removes sunlight, changes music.)
I get were you are coming from with making it so you cant see it all from one place, but I think if I polished the surrounds of the game world, looking over the entire open world would be awesome!

I would actually suggest, for next time, to put dungeons, inside of houses, and other stuff that is not directly in the open world in different scenes. This is cleaner programming wise since you don’t have to worry about so many things going on at once. I mean, unless you have some type of LOD or LibLoad implemented here, you’re one scene is running 9 dungeons, tons of enemies, shops, and an “open” world. That puts a lot of stress on computation, which could easily be avoided by just separating things into different scenes.

You can actually work around the “repeating” yourself thing by just making the player a group object, and that way if you change the original player, you change all the copies of the player.

The only problem with making separate scenes is that you’d need a way to pass information through scenes (for armor, weapons, money and such), but that’s relatively easy using the Global Dict.

However, if you’re getting +30fps, then it’s not a big deal I guess. Just some suggestions if you are having problems with fps :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit:
I only say this because enemies for me, in my previous project, eat up a lot of fps because of the armatures and animation.

I would recommend fog just make it very light it gives the feeling of greater distance creates a more appealing landscape

Yeah, thats what I thought too, just a subtle fog

I’m going to play the straight person here, and offer some criticism.

Your animations seriously need some work. They’re very stiff and they don’t flow in the slightest. May I suggest moving your bodies, as opposed to just your limbs?
I should also suggest making your animations blend better. Animations for falling, jumping, and pretty much filling in those gaps would be a good idea.

What do you think? Not that shabby, but turns the mountains grey at a large distance.

@@MichelleSea yeah, my animations are the definition of terrible. I took me a fair amount of work to get them to that point it is in the trailer. Ill looking into it. Thanks for the criticism though!

Peace

Awesome progress so far, looks like a fun game!
As michellesea said, the animations do need a little more work. When animating, try using the auto IK option for moving the bones around as this makes it a little easier. I made a tutorial on animating and animation blending which was also mentioned which might be able to help. You should also keep the mist, it makes the game seem more real :smiley:

Eitherway great progress so far!

Yap thats what I meant only a subtle mist, there you go.

So Ive been had at work to bring you more weapons and gear!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350119[/ATTACH]
All of these weapons and equipment is fully implemented. the basic stuff suck as the dagger is obtained from the tutorial, but the others are bought from the blacksmith.

The Items have stats that come up when you hover the mouse over the icon. These descriptions follow, to give you a feel of the equipment in Greystone. Keep in mind the basic enemy has 20 HP, and damage is damage per hit. The most hardcore enemys have up to 75 HP. like a monster turtle.

FISTS - Damage 1

BOWS:

Hunting bow - Damage: 5, Range: Normal, Rating: Average

Nightbringer - Damage: 12, Range: Far, Rating: Awesome

MELEE:

Dagger - Damage: 3, Speed: Normal, Rating: Average

Sword - Damage: 5, Speed: Normal, Rating: Average

Sledgehammer - Damage: 7, Speed: Normal, Rating: Average

SpikeStaff - Damage: 11, Speed: Normal, Rating: Awesome

Ashen Axe - Damage: 16, Speed: Normal, Rating: Badass

ARMOUR:

Lobster Helmet - Max HP+ 10, Rating: Average

Chainmail Body - Max HP+ 20, Rating: Average

Simple Extras - Max HP+10, Rating: Average

Crusader Helmet - Max HP+ 30, Rating: Awesome

Knight’s cloak - Max HP+ 45, Rating: Awesome

[WIP] Complex extras - Max HP+ 25, Rating: Awesome

SHIELDS:

Small Shield - Block chance: 20%

Kite Shield - Block chance: 33%

And that’s all the gear in the game! Here’s a closer look at the icons:

As you can see the complex extras(Boots and Gloves) are not here yet.

The ratings (Average, Awesome and Badass) Give an idea of the gear in comparison to other gear types. The Awesome weapons deal a maximum of around 20 Damage per second. So if I were to add a massive pole axe that attacks 3 times slower than a Normal weapon (so about 1.2 sec between strikes) but dealt 30 Damage, It would be be deemed an Awesome rating due to 20 damage per second. Badass weapons are not acquired throughout normal means, but would have prerequisites and cost not just gold but Ashen Orbs too, that are dropped after defeating a boss-type enemy. The same goes for the armor, with the Awesome tier of armour equipped it grants a total of 150 HP. I have not added any Badass rated armour as of yet, but I will do so, enabling the player to push his HP past the 150. I’m thinking a second gold health bar layers on-top of the existing red health bar so show the added HP. I don’t want the game to contain any grinding whatsoever, so I will make sure your not replaying dungeons to farm Ashen Orbs to get that last piece of armour. :slight_smile:

Any feedback on all these system ideas? I’m very open to suggestions!

Also, The graphics look like this now. What do you think about this improvement?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350120[/ATTACH]