The bottomless pit of WIP

you asked for it :wink:

• yellow (hood/bonnet): you cut the hood at the wrong edge (zigzag line), I colored the right dimensions of it
  • red (front): this represents the shape of the front bumper with sharp edges drawn in
  • orange (front): this part is also sharp edged and flowing like I drew it
  • blueish (headlights): they are smaller, than you modeled
  • green (wheelarchs): this is the flat, sharp edged shape I was talking about in the other post
  • blue (fender): general shape of the fender, to demonstrate where to cut the model :wink:
  • red (door): shape of the door, darker color means this part is somewhat scaled in towards the center (if this makes any sense)
  • blue (sideskirts): general shape of the sideskirts to see where to cut

that’s it for the first things that came to my mind. hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Attachments

Well, I made a pretty little car shader for cycles. the others look good, but they have like 4 different colors to change, so I made one in the same style except you only have to change one color. real nice :smiley:

For how hard cars are (well they kick my butt) the model is looking good so far!

thanks for the crits chop_suey. I think have of my problem when modelling this so far, was that in my reference images, I had two different versions of the car. :confused: before it was mainly like a BMW328i. My goal is a BMW 335i. Here are some updated stuffs:

and playing with some different camera views…

thanks for the comment Quandtum!
here is a bit better render. these are from Saturday, but I was really busy, so only had time to render them. it took a bit over an hour, well, this one did. I was running out of the house and thought, well, why don’t I start rendering this. when I came back, it should have been done, but it said, tiles rendering 3/56 WHAT THE HECK! then I looked under the settings, and the resolution was set to 200% :stuck_out_tongue:

and here is an idea I have for a scene I want to put a car in:

modelling practice #5: Lexus LFA. Here is a chunk wire render to show it off.

the wheel is by Malcom, but edited a bit by me.

Here is a render of the Lexus.

and gosh, almost forgot about this… A Maserati GranCabrio from a couple months ago…

here is another render of the BMW

oh, I forgot to mention, on the lexus, I tried using a normal map to make some of the cuts and details, and it works pretty well for most angles. Here is another render from a different angle which shows the downsides of the normal map.

As you can probably tell, these renders aren’t coming out the best, so I was wondering if it was my modelling or texturing that wasn’t up to par. I was guessing that it is both. So I decided to take some of the cars I made, and put them in good scenes that other people had made, and vice versa putting their cars in my scenes and seeing how they would turn out. here are three of my cars in other scenes from blend-swap and such
Chevy Camaro - Mike Pan cycles demo scene

Benz CLA - a Ferrari scene don’t remember much more than that

Dodge Charger - Range Rover SE scene

As you can see, they are quite a bit nicer than mine :wink:

If a picture paints a thousand words, why do I still need 10 characters?

did some more work on the interior of the maserati. it is pretty bad/inaccurate.

and another render of the benz. sorry about the take screenshot window…

ARRGH I REALLY HAVE TO MANY PROJECTS AT THE MOMENT. >:(

made a roof(bad) and some windows for the maserati.

here is a nicer render of the BMW. I redid the lights… still doesn’t look quite right… the whole car doesn’t look quite right… maybe it’s right below the door that needs work… Sorry, just noticing these things now :wink:

anyone got a good tip or tut or something on compositing? or even a picture of there nodes and process?

-ctdabomb :ba:

Yes, I have a node tree on my lambo thread.

oh cool! I didn’t see that before! thanks.

Nice thread man , all those cars you must have a big garage :stuck_out_tongue:
The CLA needs some more fixing , but you did the front grills thats looking tight and the front lights.
On the CLA project you can get more references from a mercedes forum (i dont remember the name)

Many work but acctualy non of those car is modeled good i mean c’mone there is so much wrong proportions in CLA or dodge you have still a lot of tweaking and work to do!

yes, tweaking, where art goes from bad to good…
Right now I am trying to finish up the charger and then BMW with the other cars following after that. Kramon, would you please bit a bit more specific on where the cars aren’t quite right? that would help me a lot.