Swmo's sketchbook

New sculpt

Also posted it in the Finished forum:
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?330085-The-streets-are-ours

Insane rate of improvement here!

Here’s my current WIP. They will be actually kissing after retopo and posing and have hands, clothes, those kind of things…

Already looks very cool!

Thanks Matt!

Is it me, or are hands really hard?

I agree hands are hard!! You should have seen some of the attempts on Laocoon trying to grab the snake…let’s just say I was glad that half the hands had fallen off that statue haha.

Anyway, yours look great there! Good job.

My only criticism is the tongue on the one on the right. I know that is not unrealistic lol, but there is something about the breaking of the symmetry there that bugs me.

Thanks - yeah, I’m not sure about the tongue yet either. Retopo at the moment. Taking a while but it’s kind of fun. I like the new wireframe modifier :slight_smile:

I have to admit, I have never manually retopo’d lol :confused: I normally just copy, decimate, shrink-wrap, UV, multi-res…I suppose I should eventually do a proper job of it :wink:

What does the new wireframe modifier do?

Btw, excellent job on makeing the male and female identifiable with subtle physiological differences. When you can tell just be the face shape, with no other features as reference (hair, facial hair, body, clothes etc), then you know you have done a good job.

Oh really? I don’t know of a way of getting nice UVs without manually retopo… So you decimate it, but you still have lots of randomly placed triangles? I guess if they aren’t too dense it’s still okay? Interesting. Actually - my topology isn’t perfect, but it’s mainly to make it more dense where I want more multi-res resolution. I guess you don’t get that with the decimate method.

The wireframe modifier is what has added the black lines over the edges in the above pictures. Well - it actually creates geometry but if you make it thin enough then it is just wires.

Actually, they are both going to be female :slight_smile: But yes, the one on the left is more feminine. Hopefully it will be obvious with the hair and textures!

Anyway - finally finished retopo, basic rig and posed (no tongues ;), so next is the texture paint:

I don’t expect the UVs from the method I mentioned are quite as good as those from a modelled or multires sculpted object, but it works suprisingly well for static characters. I learnt the method from here -> link. I went with that because I have worked almost exclusively with dyntopo, I don’t really like the way multires responds. Anyway, with an appropriate amount of decimation the marking of seams is still really quite easy! With the addition of the fill tool it might be even easier to get a nice mesh out of a decimation.

I should really give manual re-topo a go though :slight_smile:

Now that you mention it, the character on the right definitely does look a bit more androgenous than the other…but I should have noticed the lack of adams apple :wink:

I agree about the multi-res - I don’t like it, but I try to do as much in dynamic and then just use shrinkwrap and any final creases in multi-res. If all you are doing is texture paint, then nice UVs are probably not important, so thanks for the tip - one to bear in mind for the future.

Tonight I started adding some colour and hair. I quite like how it is looks - maybe I should change it to robot kisses girl :slight_smile:

I LOVE IT!!!
Amazing work! By any aspect.

Ah, that really made it come alive! Your texturing and materials are excellent!

Thank you both, I’m glad you like it :slight_smile:

I already commented in the final project thread - but great job! Just over a week from your last post to bring it to completion is crazily fast!

a few days not here, and i missed so many great posts! wonderful swmo, excelent work. hand retopo is always best, even though zremesher often does an amazing job too, i do too handretopo when i want best results. as soon as you want use displace or bump, good uv’s pay the effort, and those are hard to get on zremeshed meshes (or i do miss some points in zbrush…lol)…

Amazing!
Unbelievable.
Jaws dropped.
One of the best blender works around.

IMO, a TopRow work.
I wonder though, there may be some difficulties, LOL.

i agree, michalis,so hop over to the finished section and vote your stars :wink:

Wow, thanks for the comments - it means a lot :slight_smile: The sculpting and hair could be better (don’t look too close), but I’m really happy with the overall feel as I did get close to the dreamy summer look I had in my mind.

@Blender Matt - I didn’t want to spend ages and ages trying to perfect everything as that starts to kill the fun. So it was like: One evening texture paint girl 1, one evening hair girl 1, one evening texture paint girl 2 etc and then just a few evenings of tweaks - with a render each night (took 9 hours on my laptop - the strong light from behind through the thin parts of SSS is very noisy). I can’t wait for SSS on GPU as I have a good nvidia graphics card in a desktop machine sitting idle.

A quick robot remix: