Switching from Blender to Maya indie - what would an artist lose ?

you can just use 2.77

i suppose if every game engine changed the fbx format then i suppose that would be a problem

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

if anyone wants to stop using blender and use maya

i personally dont care

but i do not see where it says that the current way to export an fbx file is being frozen

all i see is that campbell is trying to make the code better

I completely agree. This guy Bastien has some nerve. Someone should go to his house and chain him to his desk, point a gun to his head and tell him to shut up and work. Quick, before he escapes.

I am sorry but until someone can show me where it says that blender will no longer support fbx

then this is just another compare maya with blender thread

You are just a blind troll. Use search function. The gist is that FBX format sucks and it ruins life of the developer. Therefore he would be more than happy to drop development of FBX add-on. Which means if Autodesk changes format again, and engines update to use it, Blender will not be unable to export to FBX that can be imported to Unity/UE4.

The only useful information in a a blender exported fbx file is the mesh (which is a reformated .obj) and the bones (which is a reformated .bvh)

the rest of it is a fancy UI button which is icing on the cake at worst

I trust Richard Merklew.

And he wrote “nothing”.

What people thought he meant and what he actually wrote are two different things.

Try reading the link before commenting on what it does or dosen’t say.

Fax - FBX is the obj of game formats. If Blender dosen’t support it, then that is a big deal.

Sounds easy! So then I guess you are the next wizard to support FBX development in Blender.

Seriously, either don’t post in my thread, or post according to the subject set forth.

i know what an fbx file is

i get paid to use it

and i still fail to see where it says that blender is losing fbx file support

you dont know my skillset

i wont post anymore on this thread

as far as comparing maya to blender

same song and dance

no one is stopping you from using maya

Where it says that the developer in charge of it is suspending development. Read before commenting, please.

what is left to develop?

Just wanted to say, I do not have any problem with FBX format in blender 2.73 and 2.76 (a lot of changes of course) with Unreal Engine 4.

Firstly, 2.8x will not break fbx compatibility since no large API changes are planned. (maybe some minor ones that are trivial to update).
Secondly, Autodesk can change their version, but they will still need to support older versions of their format.
(maybe for many years old versions they eventually drop support, but for a few releases, this seems unlikely).

As far as I can tell you have heard some information and used to to construct some highly unlikely worst-case scenario.

You won’t either. Why would Epic Games, who donated 10000 euro to the Blender Foundation to fix FBX issues, intentionally break the FBX importer when it’s finally working?

Most people in this thread seem to think that just because the guy who lately worked on FBX in Blender wants to spend his energy on open formats instead (which surely makes sense) that the FBX exporter stopped working completely.

Yes, its strange. Understand that developers can become burnt out on projects and need a break, or eventually hand projects off to others (as with any job really), if a project is important someone else will pick it up, if not, we can keep the current level of functionality (even update for new FBX versions, do minor fixes and updates to make sure existing users are not left with broken software).

In the posted link, Bastien Montagne states that he no longer wants to support it.

The problem is rather what version the target engine supports, i.e. UE4 notes that they only support 2014 and other versions may or may not work. Meanwhile, the current SDK is at 2016. Max and Maya users are still able to export to older versions, though.

Autodesk used to provide an FBX Converter which could convert between different versions of FBX (and other file formats like OBJ/Collada), but they stopped updating it after the 2013 version.

edit:

That still doesn’t mean it’s gonna break immediately. It just means (assuming that no other maintainer steps up) that bugs or incompatibilites are not going to be fixed in the future.

Ahh, that is a good view, I think developers should focus on general format.