Steampunk Tractor - Rebel Rouser (BlenderGuru competition entry)

It’s awesome and I like all of the tractor. The only thing I suggeste to change is the Gatling guns support. It coulf be something a “tunk gun” in this case the Gatling gun could be controlled even the tractor is parked or don’t move. So adding a rotating support where the gatling guns is implanted will be perfect. I just think like this. It could be also a worst ideas.

Wow that looks terrific!

I see what you mean about the bonnet, but i can’t quite put my finger on what it is :no:
Maybe adding some rivets or scoops will make it fit better with the rest of the vehicle? Not sure though.

Other than that this thing is really taking shape! keep at it man, you are making awesome progress :smiley:

Thanks! I was thinking it might be the narrow middle part or something. I will add some details and see how it looks. Your entry is looking good too!

Added a few things, am now starting to proceduralise my materials, and one copper shader is done already. Just letting you all know progress is happening :slight_smile:

work, work, work lol… keep at it man, i want to see that beast shaded! :smiley:

lol, I’m keeping at it . . . my node setup tends to get complex fast:

The boxes on the left represent the main shader, I am now working on adding the grunge (the stuff on the right).

lol, i know what you mean man. At least your’s are nice and tidy :slight_smile: haha

Attachments

You guys and your complex node setups make me feel bad that mine aren’t that high yet :’(

Crazy modelling you have here NID. I can’t believe your node setups are so neat, mine are a mess and I keep forgetting where I leave nodes. Eh, those complex shaders… Keep up the great work!

@thetax - Mine is really just messy trial and error until i get it right lol :slight_smile: just experiment with nodes, until you get the effect you are looking for. :smiley:

@Thetax Don’t worry, I didn’t just start making complex shaders one day. It takes some work. You can do it too :slight_smile:

@Rachel Thanks, I really try to keep it neat so I can pinpoint setting changes very quickly, as @JamieB said, a lot of trial-and-error goes into a good shader.

Final shader (for now :eyebrowlift:)

What is really fun is making complex shaders, then making them as groups part of even bigger shaders. It can get really, really crazy . . .

Making good shaders does take a lot of practise.

:open_mouth: Can we see the shader in action? Or, you know, rendered out on something.

that’s like the inception of shaders lol… a shader within a shader within a shader haha :slight_smile: nice work on those nodes man

Yes, but once you figure out the basics it is just a bunch of discovery and fun experimentation from there.

Quite soon, by tomorrow afternoon probably

@JamieB THanks :slight_smile:

Hey I’m relieved to see other people do complex Node setups too, because mine surpassed 160 Nodes ( : 0 I know it’s crazy…). I dig that you’re going procedural on the textures. Keep it up and hopefully show the shader soon. : )

Wow this is looking really great!

Thank you! The materials are all procedural now, just need to keep fine tuning them. I am going to start making the scene before I get way too far ahead of myself. Updates will be coming in the future!

That is crazy! Hope it looked nice :slight_smile: I will be posting some material stuff eventually, I’m trying to work on the background right now so I can tweak them all to fit each other towards the end.

Some architectural progress, might go with something like this:

This will be in the background, and the tractor in a larger arched portion. Any thoughts on a good setting for this?

OMGosh! Wow! This is BY FAR your best work yet! I can’t wait to see more progress! :smiley:

Thanks! After an eventful day, I’m back in the office. Just lost power, generator should kick in . . .