Stars - Linux Version out - need help for mac version

@@CG_Sky - You moving good luck

Hey i tryed your STARS The Demo will you add “Cap” lock 120d or what? Game works not smooth but controllable on intel graphics family 4 serias 2.1 Ghz x 2 CPU takes ~600mb ram runs on 32bit 64bit sys. P.S Looks nice but maps better would be baked and sun could trace object, about cast ray implementation mhh usual i would say i play “Stone Caster” same stuff. bGames.com if some one interested to play more BGE games.

Those are great reflection effects i must say, kind of remind me with the Unreal Engine reflection effects.

Hey, the optimized version runs similarly slowly for me. The FPS seems to be a constant, low value. Are you sure everything’s running as it should be? When I play the game, and spawn a light, I do note that it’s creating cubes where the light hits - how have you coded this?

EDIT: You didn’t just place a lot of cubes, and have each light use a Near sensor to find those cubes and toggle them to be visible, right?

Yes SolarLune I did just that. I think this might also be the problem why it´s running so slowly.

Yeah, I agree. It’s an interesting problem, but that is surely a slow method to approaching it. You probably need to rethink the design and implementation - do you need to have the world be made of individual cubes? What about entire walls that just look like they’re made of individual cubes? What about just normal lighting (all black room, lights light the walls)? After all, the cubes being spawned are just for aesthetics, right? It’s not like you can’t walk on places where cubes don’t exist (otherwise, you would die as soon as you started the game).

Now, if you wanted the cubes (which I would recommend to make a gameplay mechanic), then this is how I’d do it:

1. Place placeholder invisible walls.

2. Use raycasts out ward from the stars (lights) in six directions (assuming the cubes can’t rotate or anything).

3. If the raycasts hit a wall, get the hit position and lock that position to a grid. That grid’s size should be the size of the cubes, of course. Check a global “cube information” dictionary to see if there’s a cube in that position. If not, spawn a cube in that location. Then, store its reference using a tuple of its position as its key. This way, you can check those raycast positions to see if a cube’s there already or not (e.g “if ray_grid_pos in cube_info_dict”). You can use a for loop to do more raycasts in the six directions to give a larger light radius, of course.

4. Assuming each spawned light / star can’t move, you can store the cubes spawned by each light in the lights themselves (or somewhere else associated with the light). That way, on destroying a light, you can loop through only its cubes to destroy them.

Alternatively, you can loop through that cube dictionary from step 3 to see if any cubes are out of range of a light, and delete them (though this would be significantly slower with more and more lights and cubes).

If you REALLY want to keep your cubes the way they are, you might be able to use a KD-Tree to search and find cubes close to the light, though I’m unsure about it.

You could ask about it in the Support and Discussion forum.

it looks awsome already from the looks of it :eek: infact mind blowing , i like it
;)i hope that the game’s main menu wont take
much of the peformance.
i am looking forward to play the game when it comes
out. goodluck man.

@SolarLune:

1.Well the thing with the Cubes is really just a demo Idea which I had in mind, and which actually doesn´t has a lot to do with the Game itself (Although it´s a pretty neat gameplay mechanic).

2.I also did a version where you would only be able to stand on visible cubes, which obiously killed the performance, even on my pc.

3.Thanks for your tipps, but unless it´s just a Demo for the final Game I don´t think I will do a lot of changes to it anymore. Maybe I´ll try your technique one time;).

really cool reflection and lightning for game engine!

thanks,keep it up you will get alot of fans. :rolleyes:

I really like the Gameplay Mechanic in that Demo. And I like the Music. :slight_smile:

After all your feedback I did a second version of the Demo which you can check out now. The blocks now stay visible even when removing the star. Please leave some feedback.

It’s fun to watch the cubes appear as the stars move around, it looks pretty cool.

When I played the second Demo, I was a little Bit diappointed to find out that I really hadn’t missed anthing and that there really were only these two Rooms to explore… but I found it really interesting that I actually realized that, meaning that in the Course of playing the first Demo, I really got to know these two Rooms enough to recognize them, even though I never fully saw them before!
I think you should include both Versions, maybe Blocks in a specific Color which stay, and others which will not stay. And as the Game goes on, the Player would start out with the Blocks which stay and have to confront more and more of the Blocks which do not stay – an easy Way to increase the Difficulty. :}

I like it, but I can’t help but imagine how awesome Kinect integration would be for this game.

Honestly, this would be the first game that would encourage me to buy a Kinect if it utilized it. (it’s a shame that microsoft never came up with something this cool, it could have inspired faith in the peripheral)

Good demo dude :slight_smile:

It would also introduce a level of immersion by having the tilt, pitch, and yawn of the hands be affected by the players hands.

Thanks for all the Feedback. Actually I have to disappoint you. This Game Mechanic I invented after having the game almost finished and thought it could be nice for a demo. Also it´s using way to much processing power having all the cube objects in at the same time. Maybe if someone has an idea on how to improve the performance please tell me.
@ C.A.ligári actually a nice Idea for another gameplay mechanic. Maybe I can evolve the game in something like this if I get the time.
Also working in a team on this would be nice.

I´m now working on some Easter Eggs in the Game. Hope someone will actually find them :wink:

I´m working on a small backstory and a intro sequence that has something to do with the story.

Most of the models are from DennisH

On more image of the beginning room

!!!NICE!!!,what a surprise in the demo there’s no interaction with regular 3d objects(I haven’t managed to see
chairs, tables etc.) but nice keep it up man.:cool: